Auto-Cook-Kit

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Auto-Cook-Kit

Postby doitright » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:03 pm

Well I started it up today. Got some fuel put some pressure in and all was a go. Advanced the fuel to the pre-heater and lit it. Well that is when things started to go bad. #1 burner would not light no fuel going to it. Then I noticed that the slide on the seconded burner was leaking all over the place. The #1 burner just has a blockage I think but the leaking I have no idea on how to stop that. There was fuel all over the bottom and on the table. Put it out and will try again if I can figure out how to stop the leak on the slide valve. If anyone has a idea on how to repair this thanks for responding.

Kevin
doitright
REAR DOOR CAMPER
1959 REAR DOOR SCOTTY
doitright
The 300 Club

Postby rainjer » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:12 pm

Do you know where it is leaking? Which burner are you calling the # 1?

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

leak

Postby doitright » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:18 pm

the arrow shows where the leak is it is on the bottom where the slide turns the #2 burnner on and off.

Thanks for looking
Kevin
doitright
REAR DOOR CAMPER
1959 REAR DOOR SCOTTY
doitright
The 300 Club

Postby rainjer » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:23 pm

If I remember correctly. You pump up the tank about 10 pumps. Open the valve and fill the pre-heater cup & then close the valve. Light the pre-heater & when it is almost out re-open the valve an light the right burner.

It sound like you are flooding the stove or you have a bad seal the the left burner valve.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Thanks

Postby doitright » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:11 am

I will check on it and see I know there is something on the bottom of the burner just under the slide valve Two screws and a bracket. I will check in tomorrow. I did clean the burner but did not take it all apart. I will take it all apart tomorrow and do a better job.
thanks
Kevin
doitright
REAR DOOR CAMPER
1959 REAR DOOR SCOTTY
doitright
The 300 Club

Postby doug hodder » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:43 am

I can't see in your pic but do you have the little diverter part that allows the fuel to be dumped into the cup? You pull up on the pins when you crack the valve and it dumps/directs fuel into the cup. If you don't pull up on it, it will dump fuel down in the manifold. That's probably how you got the drip out the slide valve. I didn't use the fuel from the stove to pre-warm. I just got the gen. full of fuel, poured some Denatured alcohol into the cup and lit it up. Once it all burned off, then cracked the valve and used a lighter to light the right burner. My first light up, I also did it with the guts out of the stove, just in case I had an issue. The little diverter piece is directly under the rounded capped hole in the top of the manifold, just to the left of where the generator meets it. There is no seal on the #2 burner. It's just a slide of metal with a hole in it to allow the fuel/air mix to flow through in a machined slot. Kinda funky, but works. You did clean out the entire manifold right, nothing in there? Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

stove

Postby doitright » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:25 am

Well I did used a air hose to blow out the burner. I will take a flex wire brush to the manifold. I do belive that I flooded the manifold. In putting it back together after the repair to the tank I may not have the needle all the way in the orfice to shut it off. I may have also too much presure in the tank. Back to work I will go to fix it. The leak was coming all around the #2 burner slide.
Kevin
doitright
REAR DOOR CAMPER
1959 REAR DOOR SCOTTY
doitright
The 300 Club

Postby Mark72 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:10 pm

One reason I don't really like that style stove is that you are actually preheating the manifold to get a vapor for the first burner to light. The stove actually runs from fuel that gets vaporised in the generator. A good way to get it lit without so much trouble is to use a micro torch to GENTLY preheat the generator a bit before you crack the fuel valve open. The stove should fire right up without any flooding issues at all.

Mark
ImageImage
Mark72
Donating Member

Postby PresTx82 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:45 pm

doitright,

What model is this one?
Mark
El Paso, Texas
PresTx82
500 Club

stove

Postby doitright » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:22 pm

The model # 8 on a web search I saw a #8B and they are not the same. Mine looks almost like Doug's, and I think he said he has a #4. I only have one knob the controls the needle valve that I need to adjust. It will not shut the flow of fuel off causing the manifold to flood. I need to do a lot of work on the manifold to better clean it. Locate the generator and get it cleaned also. I will work on it this weekend. If work dose not get in the way. My shop is too cold at night 24 tonight.
Kevin
doitright
REAR DOOR CAMPER
1959 REAR DOOR SCOTTY
doitright
The 300 Club

missing parts

Postby doitright » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:40 pm

Here are some photos of parts of my stove I am wondering if I may be missing a part. The needle will not reach the orfice. On some old pilots for heating units there was a small warsher with a orfice in it that would fall out if you did not watch for it. I wanted to know if the stove has one and it is gone now. I did not see one when I took it apart. I am unable to shut off the fule to the burnner because the needle will not reach the orfice.

This I hope shows that the needle will not reach the end of the fitting that goes on the end of the fule tube.

This just shows the part on the end of the tube.

Thanks for looking
Kevin
doitright
REAR DOOR CAMPER
1959 REAR DOOR SCOTTY
doitright
The 300 Club

stove

Postby doitright » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:44 pm

Sorry for two of the same photos this is the third one I should have sent

Thanks for looking
Kevin
doitright
REAR DOOR CAMPER
1959 REAR DOOR SCOTTY
doitright
The 300 Club

Postby Mark72 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:08 pm

Kevin, Looking at your pics the best I can tell it looks like maybe the packing is not seated all the way down in the generator. The part of the valve that shuts the fuel off is down close to the knob. If the packing is holding the valve back it will not stop the fuel flow. Is there a tiny hair sticking out of the end of the needle? If not it probably has been broken off. The purpose of the "hair" is to restrict the flow of the vaporised fuel and to clean the orifice. It dose not shut the fuel off at that end.

If you have had the whole needle pulled out of the generator remove it again and see if the packing has gotten jammed on the way back in. On my auto kook kit the packing gave some resistance on the way back into the generator a little more pressure on the knob pushed it the rest of the way in.
BE VERY CAREFUL NOT TO OVER DO IT YOUR GENERATOR LOOKS TO BE BRASS AND WILL TWIST IN TWO WITH TOO MUCH FORCE!!
When it is all the way off the knob should be closer to the packing nut than it is in the pictures. Hope this helps.

Mark
ImageImage
Mark72
Donating Member

Postby Mark72 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:17 pm

Kevin that second pic helps a lot. Your generator doesn't have the cleaner tip. looks like a clear case of the packing holding you off.

Mark
ImageImage
Mark72
Donating Member

packing

Postby doitright » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:37 am

I took of the packing nut and put the valve back together and it will shut the gas flow off. With the packing nut on it will not shut it off. The packing is rock hard I will have to repack and try again. You are right the packing is holding off the valve. Boy it is bad to feel as dumb as a box of Rocks. Thanks for your help.
Kevin
doitright
REAR DOOR CAMPER
1959 REAR DOOR SCOTTY
doitright
The 300 Club

Next

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment