Plating parts??? maybe an idea.

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Plating parts??? maybe an idea.

Postby doug hodder » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:25 am

Mike A sent me this link on zinc plating. He got the info from a discussion over on a Ford restoration site. Might be an idea to try on a lantern with a decent frame rather than hi-temp paint. I thought it might be worth passing on. I may play around with this....could be fun to try at any rate. A marine sacrificial anode would also work for a zinc supply. Doug

http://www.fordbarn.com/earlyv8/forum03 ... 14026.html
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Re: Plating parts??? maybe an idea.

Postby Joanne » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:35 am

doug hodder wrote:Mike A sent me this link on zinc plating. He got the info from a discussion over on a Ford restoration site. Might be an idea to try on a lantern with a decent frame rather than hi-temp paint. I thought it might be worth passing on. I may play around with this....could be fun to try at any rate. A marine sacrificial anode would also work for a zinc supply. Doug

http://www.fordbarn.com/earlyv8/forum03 ... 14026.html

What a great idea! He says that it won't plate around corners so I wonder if you could daisy-chain a series of zinks around the parimeter of the container to achieve more even plating?

It sure seems like a neat technique to explore and refine. I'm sure if anyone can make it work, you can!

Joanne
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby Mark72 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:21 pm

using electrolysis to plate metal parts requires the material to be surrounded on all sides by the source. I've noticed clean spots and dirty spots directly in line with the anodes when cleaning my cast iron. They sell nickel plating kits with sheets of nickel to surround the item you are plating. The instructions warn about not surrounding the part well enough. I would think you would suffer the same effect with the zinc plating.

Mark
ImageImage
Mark72
Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:53 pm

Yeah...he says that you need to move things around so that you get a good covering. It's not just a 1 shot thing. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Mark72 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:16 pm

I guess I should have read the link before I posted.. He addressed that in there. I like the idea of attaching the zink to a wand you can stir around to coat the part. It must work very quickly!

Mark
ImageImage
Mark72
Donating Member

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:29 am

Doug,
This is a great topic... I like the idea of electroplating and not just zinc.
Nickel, copper and other metals too!!! :thumbsup:
I found a seller on Ebay that is willing to do the plating for that project we have in the works, but doing it in house or amongst ourselves sounds way fun. :thumbsup:
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment