Intervention... (open letter)

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Intervention... (open letter)

Postby cuyeda » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:36 am

Doug, (open letter)

Thanks for your tips! I have decided to not make the trip. It's a funny feeling, and believe I need intervention. ha ha. To find someone who is willing to sell his entire Coleman collection of lanterns/stoves, and be the first person on the spot to possibly purchase all of it makes me a bit sick. To say, I probably WOULD buy all of it. Even 25% of the best of the lot would still be quite a few lanterns or stoves. At $10 each it is really hard to pass up! At those prices you can't just buy two or three and stop.

The good thing is, I am not as knowledgeable about what units command a good historical value of return. The bad thing is I am learning more as I go. I play this vision in my head of what I will find, possibly bring home, and then have to tinker, toil, clean, and eventually sell most of it anyway. My intentions were honorable, to say many on the forum would like to get their hands on a few also. I am sure, I would be left with a nice little collection in the end. Not to mention, I will have to find space to store it. Since becoming interested in the trailers alone now consumes my yard. I have a few trailers now (4), in a span of two years since I started (not all campable yet), parts are here, and there as I do the ground up resto.

My new year resolution, is to work towards finishing some of the projects at hand, and dejunk, or declutter my work spaces. Not mention finding space for the newly added tools acquired to woodwork with.

To amass such a huge collection of lanterns, stoves, flashlights would drain my time, and effort. I also envisioned becoming the guy who is selling the collection. That really scares me!

I purchased a vintage flashlight manual few days ago to help me determine history. There is a seller currently selling a large flashlight collection for reasonable prices. I bought a few, but try not to look at the items coming up on Ebay that will be ending soon. I just spent a few dollars buying up license plates and stickers, and needless to say my Ebay slush funds have dwindled. It's a good thing my Ebay slush funds are low, otherwise, I would buy more. It's hard to pass up an item I may never see again, ever.

I am typing this letter, just so I won't look how much time is left on Ebay, or jumping in my car to go and look at the 200+ units of Coleman lanterns and stoves that this guy has collected for decades. It could all be mine, and only two hours drive to get it. I had to tell a little white lie to cancel the appointment. I said that I had a family emergency and could not meet with him. I feel a bit guilty since he promised I would be the very first person to look at it.

Thanks for listening. Don't be surprised if this letter gets posted on the forum. Just another step closer to completing my intervention. So how many steps are in this program anyway.
Why just dance, when you can Salsa!
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:37 pm

Cliff...I would have loved to make the trip with you, but honestly, neither one of us should shop with an enabler. Just goes to show you however...there are large groups of this stuff available, everyone keep your eyes and ears open. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Micro469 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:45 pm

Did I miss something here????? :?
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby cuyeda » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:33 pm

Micro469 wrote:Did I miss something here????? :?

:lol: It's about sharing one's plight so that other's feel that they are not alone. Actually, it was meant to be humorous on my account. After seeing a few posted pictures here about vintage camping equipment, I decided to venture out, and find a couple. Haven't really looked for anything to buy until a couple of days ago.

Well, I happened to contact a guy who has come on hard times, and decided to sell his entire collection of Coleman lanterns. How many do you have I asked. About 160+, he replies. After a short chat about the collection he is making available. I asked do you have any stoves? Yes, he replies, approximately 50. Is it for sale? Yes, but he hasn't set a price yet. Can I come over and see your collection for sale? Yes, you would be the first person to see it he replies.

It would be over 2 hours drive to get there, being Thurs. evening, and I work on Friday. I set the appointment for Saturday morning. I PM'd Doug, and offered to share the opportunity with Doug (11 hour drive), so Doug declined. I could not possibly use ALL of the items for myself, right. Needless to say I was on pins and needles about the possibility of transporting everything that looked good when I got there. I dreamed that I could sell what I don't want, and keep the cherry stuff for my own collection. Where does it end. :lol:

The shakes are not to frequent now that I cancelled the appointment. I must admit that I did score a couple more vintage flashlights online to take my mind off things today. Don't worry folks this post is meant to be humorous. I am doing fine for now. I don't own a vintage stove or lantern, but doesn't mean I won't have one in the future. It just means, I won't have an instant 200 units. :lol:
Why just dance, when you can Salsa!
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:39 pm

I went and looked at a duel fuel lantern this morning, since the vintage version of these lanterns seem to be all the rage lately.

the lantern was $59.

the fuel was $10.49 per gallon.

I didn't buy one yet, because I don't need one for inside the teardrop.

I might buy one for outside... but there's no hurry.

And I certainly don't need 200 of them...

:o :lol:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby doug hodder » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:01 pm

Mike....you'll get more hours out of a can of Coleman fuel than you would on the equivalent price in propane bottles, and don't have the recycle thing with the can. It can be reused for other solvents or etc...don't mean to start a propane vs. white gas thing....strictly my opinion. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

dule fule

Postby doitright » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:18 pm

Hey are the duel fuel single burners any good? Wal-Mart here has the new ones for $57.00. They also have last years for only $21.00. Last years has a different box than the new ones. I just do not like the top of them where you put the pot. Looks like it would just cut through a cheep alum. pot.
Kevin
doitright
REAR DOOR CAMPER
1959 REAR DOOR SCOTTY
doitright
The 300 Club

Postby doug hodder » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:41 pm

Kevin....is it a space issue that you would want a single burner? The reason I ask is that for less money+ some shipping you can get a vintage 500 single burner that is about 5 times the stove. They are larger than the newer 500 series single burners, and will accept a larger pan. Just an idea. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby rainjer » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:53 pm

I would agree with Doug.

The top stove is a 502 which is about the same size as the modern duel fuel stove. The bottom stove is a 500A. I paid around $30 each for these stove including shipping. They were not pretty when I got them but with a little TLC they can look good & I think they are better stoves.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

stove

Postby doitright » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:21 pm

No I do not have a space problem. I saw the mod that rainjer made for the waffle iron on the 502. I know I would use that all the time. I would love the 500 or a 502 just have not seen one I was ready to bid on yet. How dose the wind affect the 500? It looks like the 502 is better protected from wind. But the 500 may make a better waffle with the larger burner. I love to cook in the morning so I would love a single burner for waffles. I have a 245 for eggs and bacon and several dos for biscuits.
Kevin
doitright
REAR DOOR CAMPER
1959 REAR DOOR SCOTTY
doitright
The 300 Club

Postby doug hodder » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:34 pm

The 502 has to be better protected cause it doesn't have much of a burner on it compared to the 500, and it uses the shroud to support the grate. I have the extra wings that clip on, but they aren't all that supportive. The 500 is more like a single version of the 2 burner stove with the burner from the large side, large tank for support on the table. The 502 is more like the small side of the 2 burner, small tank. The shape on the burner cup on the 500 throws more heat up, the 502 because of a smaller burner puts more heat out and brings the pan down closer. Just my observation on it. Doug
Last edited by doug hodder on Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby rainjer » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:35 pm

I haven't tried the 500 outside but some of the 500 models had a built in wind screen.

I was going to fab one out aluminum flashing in case I needed it.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby Micro469 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:40 pm

Going back to cuyeda's post, and looking at all the lanterns and stoves some of you guys have amassed has got me thinking. I don't NEED 15 lanterns or 20 stoves... I allready have three stoves and three lanterns...oh and a 500 single burner.....

I can't afford to collect any more stufff.... by nature I'm a pack rat, and have more junk than I will ever use. So even when I look with envy at all the beautiful lanterns yua'll have, I have to stop myself from buying more because I'll never use them.

Right now I am spending my money to refurbish my old beat up red lantern (expensive in my part of the world), and I want to buy an old stove and refurbish it the same color as the lantern and then I'm done.

I might even sell my other stuf........(oops, forgot an f....take it from the one above.....)

;)
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby doug hodder » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:49 pm

Another reason for my hesitation in making the trip John....I know I would have come home loaded up and I really don't need them. I'm finding lots of free stuff and thrift store finds locally. Some items are tougher however and a person really needs to search one out and at times, it's not a real steal. A lot of my interest at this point is in getting an education on it all. Keeps me busy since I don't have a build going. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Micro469 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:52 pm

doug hodder wrote:Another reason for my hesitation in making the trip John....I know I would have come home loaded up and I really don't need them. I'm finding lots of free stuff and thrift store finds locally. Some items are tougher however and a person really needs to search one out and at times, it's not a real steal. A lot of my interest at this point is in getting an education on it all. Keeps me busy since I don't have a build going. Doug

Hey Doug....It might be cheaper if you started another build....... :lol:
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Next

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment