Treasure hunting....

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Treasure hunting....

Postby hotrod » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:27 pm

Spent the day at my folks place, spending time with pops and rummaging thru "stuff" I came across 2 lanterns, one that I had been looking for and the other that I knew where it was but not ready to bring home yet. I did bring home a nice 242C single mantle / nickel tank. Its sitting on my desk in front of me! Its not beat up, the tank has very minimal pitting, some rub marks. Has the original globe, green coleman with the sunset over it., pyrex on the opposite side. It should clean up good. The ventilator has a couple chips and the usual heat discoloration. Doesnt hold pressure but it hasnt had fuel in it in close to 40 years according to dad. It was sitting on a shelf in the basement.
Also found the other old coleman lantern and ID the thing, its a 220D that one was in my grandparents house back in the day..Also found one old stove but it has the wrong tank, I know the tank is there someplace, I just need to find it. Its the old round tank.. That will probably find its way home sometime too..found a couple newer lanterns and one 502 stove, dad has more "stuff" than I realize! lolol The 242 is going in the teardrop cuz it will take up less room than my newer dual fuel..
Paul
Some people are like slinkys.. not much good for anything but they still make you smile when you push them down the stairs....
hotrod
TILT
TILT

Postby doug hodder » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:31 pm

Cool find guy!!!! I'll bet dad inside is happy to have you get them and clean them up to use. Sounds like a really nice cache of goodies! Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby rainjer » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:50 pm

Good job! :applause:

First thing I would do if you plan on using the 242 is go buy a new replacement globe for it. The original globe are very brittle & worth good money.

As far as holding pressure. You need to replace the fuel cap gasket. Fred Kuntz sells them for $0.25 each. You just need to take the screw out of the cap, take the brass center and burn the old gasket out with a torch. When it cools, put he new gasket in. I just bought 6 & sent 2 to Juneaudave to fix the same problem as yours.

Fred also has the best price on decals. You just send him a list of what you want & a check & a week later you have it in the mail.

http://www.mikenchell.com/images/Fred_Kuntz_Catalog.pdf

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby hotrod » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:55 pm

Alot of the family camping stuff got used extremely hard and some is about used up but this 242c never went with for some reason so it hasnt got the years of packing and unpacking on it. According to dad he bought that, a stove and a hunting knife from a guy for $3 back in the early 60s, they were up at a camp cutting christmas trees near fonce mn.
At any rate its home and it does hold pressure! lol I bet if I put a mantle on it and gassed it up it would run! gonna clean it up first... Paul
Paul
Some people are like slinkys.. not much good for anything but they still make you smile when you push them down the stairs....
hotrod
TILT
TILT

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment