Basement treasures

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Basement treasures

Postby Sandyman » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:06 am

I was reading this forum and remembered decades back my Grandfather and I lighting the lamps at the cottage. I managed to save one one Colman
242B from the place, and several Aladdin lamps before it was sold. I picked up a Colman 168K at a sale years ago and it was just like the one that was at the cottage as well, only the paint was on it.

242B is a little worse for wear. Will need some info on fixing it up.

168K seems in reasonable shape. Is the mica heat shield a home made or a Colman part?

168K burner.

Sandyman
Sandyman
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Mark72 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:56 pm

SM, That 168 had a parchment shade over the globe that is on it now. I can't really say if the mica is original or not. Most of the lamps that had the parchment shade usually had a pyrex globe around the burner. Have you had it burning yet? I see it has a preheater cup on the generator. It may be a kerosene burner instead of gasoline.I have 2 119's and they burn very bright! Think they would make a great table light for a game of cards at home or at camp!

Mark
ImageImage
Mark72
Donating Member

Postby Sandyman » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:31 pm

The 168K is a kerosene lamp. They both need a little work with the 242B needing the lion share. I need to fix the pump up and get mantles. When it warms up in the spring I will see what I can do with it.

Sandy
Sandyman
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment