What would be a good first lantern (in the UK)

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

What would be a good first lantern (in the UK)

Postby gazz » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:16 pm

i've always been interested in old things from the last 100 years or so,

when i build my TD, i was thinking of cooking by a pressure stove, outside lighting by a tilley type lamp.

as it's going to be a while till i start my TD, i was thinking of getting an old pressure lamp to play with, and maybe get into collecting them.

i've never operated any kind of pressure lamp before, was in the scouts, where my only involvment with a lamp was trying to adjust a wonkey mantle in a gas (as in lpg) lantern.... you can guess the result, we had no light for the weekend.

oh and i remember another troop's leader brought along his petrol lantern, and promptly blew the shade appart when lighting it.

I'm thinking a tilley parafin lamp would be easiest to get cheap in the UK, but proper lamp parafin is not cheap, found a petrol station kinda near me that sells parafin from the pump for about 10p a litre less than petrol.

would that stuff be more for green house heaters where the stink isnt a problem? not that i'd be using it inside.

A coleman type lantern may be better? but only if it runs on unleaded petrol, as the white gas stuff is absolutely stupidly priced over here,

I've heard there's a lantern that will run on anything, petrol, diesel, parafin, even bio diesel, but i guess these are modern lanterns?
gazz
Teardrop Inspector

Postby gazz » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:51 am

found out it's the britelyt lantern that runs on anything flamable.

would really like on of those some time, but cant seem to find anyone selling them in the UK, or even europe,

are they purely an american item?? they were invented in germany, but it seems they only sell the parafin model nowadays.

anyone know where to buy a britelyt in the UK?? new or second hand,

or are there any other multi fuel lanterns available?
gazz
Teardrop Inspector

Postby doug hodder » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:30 am

Gazz....I'd say that if you want to get into a vintage Coleman lantern, you could pick up one from e-bay and go ahead and run the unleaded gasoline in it. For as much as you would probably use it, it would potentially run for quite a while till the generator got so dirty that it wouldn't operate. Some people over here run them on regular unleaded gasoline all the time, although it's not recommended. If you get something not too out of the ordinary, a new generator would still be available. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Classic Finn » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:44 pm

gazz wrote:found out it's the britelyt lantern that runs on anything flamable.

would really like on of those some time, but cant seem to find anyone selling them in the UK, or even europe,

are they purely an american item?? they were invented in germany, but it seems they only sell the parafin model nowadays.

anyone know where to buy a britelyt in the UK?? new or second hand,

or are there any other multi fuel lanterns available?

There are the Coleman Lanterns sold in Holland as well as Germany and Scandinavia however they are the modern Coleman Lanterns but yes available.

As far as the Vintage models its like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Also shipping is a killer even if you found a very reasonable one on ebay or elsewhere. Ive had to pass on some real nice fix up lanterns and stoves due to shipping. :cry:

Obtained a couple of nice Tilley and old Petromax though. :)

Classic Finn ;)
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment