My Coleman resto project, finished, 'cept decal

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

My Coleman resto project, finished, 'cept decal

Postby doug hodder » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:43 am

I was very very fortunate to have been given the opportunity to acquire this pre 1930 Coleman stove/oven combo from a member on the forum.

Special care is being taken to research the history on this one, it's just not a typical Coleman stove. It is probably a 2D or 2E. The oven collapses and folds down into the top. The whole stove folds down to the size of a typical Coleman stove, but it weighs probably 20+pounds, don't know for sure...the bathroom scale needs a battery. It can be used as a typical stove with the wind wings.

Construction is extra heavy with rod rolled into the box at the top edge on the bottom portion. Some minor straightening on the sheet metal is needed. Currently in a brush paint job, but will be bead blasted, if I get the media for Mike A's cabinet, (thanks Mike) and finished off in single stage acrylic, surface rust, no serious pitting except on the very top piece, which is the back in this pic. I'm currently trying to find out what is the correct decal and badging for it.

This for me is an ultimate piece of camping history as it's 80 years old and will certainly be a great addition to my personal gas pressure appliance museum. Thanks Dennis, I will give it a new life and a great home, it deserves it! Doug

Last edited by doug hodder on Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby TLC » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:01 am

Doug:
I for one, am going to follow this thread with great interest waiting for you to do your magic. That stove/oven combo deserves a new life at the hands of Dr. Doug.
Tom
I can drink all day.....provided I don't start till 11PM
TLC
The 300 Club

Postby dmb90260 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:40 am

There are some more pictures HERE. It looks to be totally rusted out but most of that is old faded red paint.

Good luck Doug, I was never going to put a tool to it and it needed a better life than a garage shelf
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:48 am

Doug,
I just noticed the PM you sent me on this.
That's one heckova project there buddy!!! :thumbsup:
I can already smell the cookies at IRG3.0. :twisted:
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby doug hodder » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:54 am

Took it all apart tonight Dean....pump is in good shape, tank holds pressure, some penetrating oil loosened up all the screws on the rest of the parts. Punched out all the hinge pins on the oven...it's all apart and ready for blast. Did some straightening on the body....and took plenty of pics on how it all goes together. Put it together wrong and it won't fold up! I'm kinda afraid that after it is all said and done, I won't want to fold it up so I don't scratch any of the paint on it! Really clever how they did this so that it is an oven, but still can fold down to a typical stove with the wind wings on it. Still trying to get an absolute model and mfg date on it....part of the fun of a find like this! Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby PresTx82 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:23 pm

This is my opinion only Doug, but I think something like your cool old stove/oven should be restored to pretty much what it originally looked like. That would doing camping history right. I've never seen one like it and it's going to look GOOOOOD when finished. I don't know how you find all this time to restore these things, but keep it up and post them before and after pictures.
Mark
El Paso, Texas
PresTx82
500 Club

Postby doug hodder » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:44 pm

Well, Jeremy came through today. He located the parts list and user manual for the stove I have. It's a dead on match for a 2E based on the diagrams. I just wish that the parts were as cheap as listed in the info. The entire cast manifold is 1.80$ back in the 30's....some parts as cheap as .06. I dub thee "King Kolman" So let it be written, so let it be done.... Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby rainjer » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:54 pm

I am working on the part you need also.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby Micro469 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:07 am

Doug.. So that corrugated piece is the tray you bake on right? and how doe it sit in there? Tabs?? Slots??? Is it adjustable????
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Micro469 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:09 am

doug hodder wrote:Well, Jeremy came through today. He located the parts list and user manual for the stove I have. It's a dead on match for a 2E based on the diagrams. I just wish that the parts were as cheap as listed in the info. The entire cast manifold is 1.80$ back in the 30's....some parts as cheap as .06. I dub thee "King Kolman" So let it be written, so let it be done.... Doug

Can you send me a copy? would be an interesting read... :thumbsup:
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby rainjer » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:17 am

rainjer
King Koleman

Postby doug hodder » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:24 am

Hey John...there is also a section on the oven. I need to make the diffuser for the burners. Just a piece of flat sheet material, should be an easy one, would like to have the correct dimensions on it however. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Micro469 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:33 am

Doug...Did you get the Oblong flame spreaders with the stove too? Seems to me that they would have gone missing years ago..... :roll:
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby doug hodder » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:00 am

that's what's missing....you can also use this stove as a heater, I've got a chunk of material that I can make up for the "oblong flame spreader" ....what a term to use, but hey, it was the 30's. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby doug hodder » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:13 pm

Here it is all bead blasted and stripped. I ended up using stripper on some of the sheet metal on the oven. It is so thin and even at a low angle, the bead blaster would tend to want to warp the metal. It appears that the original color was black. Now I need to do some sanding and a little body work on it on the few dents that it has. I'll have to use a high build primer and several coats over the pitted areas to smooth them over. I also found some patent numbers on it. Might be fun to do a search on them and see what comes up. Doug

doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Next

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment