My Coleman resto project, finished, 'cept decal

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Postby PresTx82 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:34 pm

This is going to look nice when done. No one is going to believe what it looked like prior to your restoration.
Mark
El Paso, Texas
PresTx82
500 Club

Postby Micro469 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:13 pm

Starting to look good Doug.. You got a beadblaster??? Up here it would have cost me about $150.00 to get that done...... It'd be cheaper to send you the parts and have you send them back when done........ :roll:
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby doug hodder » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:30 pm

No John...I don't have a bead blaster. I have a funky Sears blaster...Mike A has the blasting cabinet and he has been more than accommodating in my use of it. Thanks Mike! I learn something new from him every time I go down to see him. His 40 Ford PU resto is absolutely outstanding!!! Doug

PS John...remember...shipping is a killer! :lol:
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby dmb90260 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:49 am

doug hodder wrote:Here it is all bead blasted and stripped. I ended up using stripper on some of the sheet metal on the oven. It is so thin and even at a low angle, the bead blaster would tend to want to warp the metal. It appears that the original color was black. Now I need to do some sanding and a little body work on it on the few dents that it has. I'll have to use a high build primer and several coats over the pitted areas to smooth them over. I also found some patent numbers on it. Might be fun to do a search on them and see what comes up. Doug

The only thing like that I have seen was kind of red and old looking. :D
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:49 am

I tracked down the patent numbers on it. 1 was for the oven option. It was applied for in 1925 and finally granted in 1929. The second was for the instant light feature. It was applied for in the spring of 1929 and granted in the summer of the same year. This stove is a 1930, I believe it to be the first generation of instant light stoves. It could operate like a typical stove, a warming cabinet or an oven.

The theory behind the instant lights is that they suck fumes from the top of the tank to get it ignited. Once the generator is heated, it will vaporize the liquid fuel that it pulls up with the knob on the tank in the over 1/4 turn position. Prior to this invention, you had to pour some raw fuel in a little cup that was at the end of the generator. It had to be lit and burned so that it heated the generator prior to full burn, like on that old Handy Chef I did earlier. Hope I "splained" it OK....Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby doug hodder » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:06 am

I got all the parts sanded and in primer today...shot some black. I didn't want to do black as it shows absolutely every divot and dent in the body, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it in that crappy brown/purple which was the other alternate color, those were the 2 available colors. Black shows every problem. This pic shows the reflection of the pitting on the bottom off the back wall. I can live with it...It has character!

I did the oven portion in high temp primer and paint (not shown), good for 500 degrees with a gloss, the real high temp ones don't gloss. I need to do another coat on the exterior on the box and the tank....The ceramic high temp paints don't spray worth a damn...just my opinion however, but I found that if you get down to like 3" between the can and the metal, it does lay down pretty good and the spits flow out, did swap a different nozzle onto the can however. These high temp paints aren't available in a quart can...had to do the Duplicolor thing. A regular stove doesn't require the high temp paints. The stove/oven combos will.

It won't be perfect, but will hopefully be a good user and a great display item. I look at it this way...I've preserved it for someone that has an unlimited amount of time and money to do better. When it is all said and done....I think it will be a beauty!

Something else I found....there are 2 levels for the baking grate. The upper one had one of the clips originally installed incorrectly. 1 leg for it was riveted on backwards. I tried to find an original type rivet, so I could drill it and replace it correctly, but only found funky pop rivets and the other option was too large. Didn't replace it...it's been good for 80 years...I figure it will be for the next 80...... Doug

doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:43 am

Doug,
I might be able to get you the correct rivet.
The type I can get are solid... You peen the head to set the rivet.
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby BobR » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:25 am

Looking good Doug...can't wait till you fire it up
Bob Richert
Parrish, FL
"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars"
BobR
Donating Member

Postby dmb90260 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:12 am

It sure no longer looks like the red rusty box I sent you.
Great job.

I have a friend who does antiques. When she heard it was going to be be refurbished her comment was "what about the patina?" i explained that rust does not qualify as patins. :lol:
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby dreadcptflint » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:16 am

Wow, the change is amazing.

:thumbsup:
The quickest way to find me is on my business site. Yes, I do answer questions and provide quotes for free. Find me at: http://www.wenatcheefarmers.com
dreadcptflint
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Mark72 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:36 pm

Lookin' good Doug! I didn't realize that your stove has the same type burner assembly as my auto cook kit.

mark
ImageImage
Mark72
Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:40 pm

Still need to assemble the whole thing, but need more time on the paint before I do that. Also...I sure wish I could get the decal guy to return my e-mails. It gets a shield decal and a gold Coleman sprayed on the tank. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby doug hodder » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:18 am

Know what is a bear???? put an oven back together and some of the sheet metal pieces have to move like 270 degrees when folding and not get any scratches on the hinges....yeah...like that is going to happen! Kind of a drag.....Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Nitetimes » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:07 am

doug hodder wrote:Know what is a bear???? put an oven back together and some of the sheet metal pieces have to move like 270 degrees when folding and not get any scratches on the hinges....yeah...like that is going to happen! Kind of a drag.....Doug

You can handle it......you're just that good! :roll: 8) :lol: :lol:
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby doug hodder » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:03 am

I got it all solved Rich....just don't fold it up..... :thumbsup: Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

PreviousNext

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment