This can't be good....

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Postby madjack » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:00 am

John, the more I read this thread, it seems you may have a bad generator...especially if the lantern runs properly after a few minutes...here is something else you might try(if you haven't already)...fill lantern no more than 80% full...pump the lantern minimally(12-15 pumps)...light lantern...after it settles down, pump up to max and let it eat...mighty purdy lantern to just let sit around!!!!!!
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby satch » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:27 am

doug hodder wrote:MMMMMMM....nothing better than a fuel cooked marshmallow. Now with 25% more soot. Helps build strong bodies 12 ways! ;) Doug

Smores brother, you will never know the difference! :thumbsup:
If it itches. scratch it
Rick
satch
Donating Member

Postby Micro469 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:34 pm

O.K., I went out and got my last brand new generator and put it in "Minty". She seems to work better, and lights up faster, but still sputters a lot. Until it /she settles down, I have a fireball, and a lot of soot. I think the needle valve is worn on this one, because the more I play with it, by half closing it, or turning it slowly, the faster she comes up to full steam...... will do more research.... :thinking:
I then got my red 200 and put on a new mantle. Pumped it up, and she hissed real nice. Filled her up, pumped her up, and turned her on............Nothing!! :x Took her apart...... The generator was completely rusted inside the tube........Gotta make sure she's real dry after cleaning....DUH...... :oops: . Didn't have another generator, so I grabbed the old/new one I pulled out of "minty" and put it on. Still no fuel, :x so I took the whole thing apart and checked the air/fuel tube, took it apart/cleaned it/ stretched the spring, and put it back together again. :worship:
Pumped it up about 50 times, opened the valve a 1/4 turn, lowererd the needle valve, applied the match. :worship: ........SWOOSH! Lit perfectly!!!!(I bet you thought it blew up didn't you!) :lol:

So Now I have three working lantern.....Red 200, Minty200A, and a 335 that I pput together from junked parts. I have enough parts for one more complete 335 .

John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby doug hodder » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:04 pm

They really look great John and you did a nice job on them! I've had 1 or 2 do some sputtering when I first lit them up after rebuilding them. Ran them for about 45 min each. Seem to work fine now. Congratulations on a job well done! :thumbsup: Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby PresTx82 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:32 pm

John,

If at first you don't suceed..................

You got them all working. That's great! :applause:
Mark
El Paso, Texas
PresTx82
500 Club

Previous

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment