This can't be good....

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

This can't be good....

Postby Micro469 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:24 pm

Trying to light "Minty" and this is what happens.......

I've completely cleaned it, replaced the generator, but don't know what else to replace. Or what could be wrong.

When I turn the red knob a 1/4 turn, gas does come out of the top of the generator. When I turn the brass ring down to light it, the gas comes out faster, but spurts and streams...... I would guess it should come out as a fine mist, but not sure. It actually comes out as a stream, shooting about 10 inches into the air. Then it spurts and sputters. When I put the mantle peice back on, and light it, you see the pictures. It does quiet down after a while, but I still think this is unsafe. When I tried to light it with the lantern put together, it became a fireball. No, I didn't get a picture, was too buisy trying to put it out before it burned down my workshop........

Any clues as to what's going on??
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Juneaudave » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:51 pm

Looks like you're out of control again!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh yeah...not a clue on the lantern :thinking:
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby rainjer » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:32 pm

How much did you pump it?

Did you burn you mantle in before you tried to light it?

Did you put the correct generator in it?

You need a 200A5891 generator.

What mantel did you use?

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby Micro469 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:42 pm

rainjer wrote:How much did you pump it?

Did you burn you mantle in before you tried to light it?

Did you put the correct generator in it?

You need a 200A5891 generator.

What mantel did you use?

Jeremy

about 20-30 times
Yes
Yes
Correct
A what? 21??? usual kind they sell....... :roll:
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby doug hodder » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:59 pm

Hey John....you been taking lessons from Heikki? She's running a bit rich! :lol: If you shut down the valve, does it shut completely off? Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Micro469 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:01 pm

doug hodder wrote:Hey John....you been taking lessons from Heikki? She's running a bit rich! :lol: If you shut down the valve, does it shut completely off? Doug

Not really.... still seems to burn for a few minutes, but vey dim. Could it be that the whole assembly is just worn out? It seemed to have had a lot of use when I got it..... :thinking:
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby rainjer » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:04 pm

Where is the fire coming from?

Did you make sure the entire air tube is clean?

When you light it, do you have the match lit & net to the mantle before you crack the valve?

Are you only opening the valve 1/4 turn to light it?

Do you have the tip cleaner lever in the down position?

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby rainjer » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:09 pm

Did you ever take the tip of the generator off?

Did you check to see it the little wire is still in the generator rod?

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby doug hodder » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:11 pm

Never had one do that...I'm wondering if there is either some crud somewhere in the works that came out of the fount and got into the system or if the needle valve is shot. Some of the extended burn might be because the whole thing has been overfueled and it's burning it off. Does it ever finally shut off or just sort of run dim forever? Got all the parts in the fuel/air tube and the cleaning tip into the little brass block correct? If it doesn't shut off, I'd look at the needle seat and valve. You wouldn't be trying to get even with me on this for my Heikki first light up prank would you ??? :thinking: If so....good one! :lol: Doug
Last edited by doug hodder on Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Micro469 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:13 pm

rainjer wrote:Where is the fire coming from?

Did you make sure the entire air tube is clean?

When you light it, do you have the match lit & net to the mantle before you crack the valve?

Are you only opening the valve 1/4 turn to light it?

Do you have the tip cleaner lever in the down position?

Jeremy

From around the mantle
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes.
:(
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Micro469 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:15 pm

rainjer wrote:Did you ever take the tip of the generator off?

Did you check to see it the little wire is still in the generator rod?

Jeremy

Yes
Yes.
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby doug hodder » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:18 pm

I'd pressure up the fount...shut the valve completely down and see if you get any fuel leaking off into the generator as a starting point. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby rainjer » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:23 pm

Did you verify the tip is on there now?

I would pull the generator off an check out. The easiest way is to take the frame nut off an just lift the entire frame off. Make sure the tip is on the generator. If so take the generator off an make sure the wire is still there. Also make sure the generator is hooked in the eccentric block. The other thing you may check to see if the screen is still in the burner.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby Micro469 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:25 pm

doug hodder wrote:Never had one do that...I'm wondering if there is either some crud somewhere in the works that came out of the fount and got into the system or if the needle valve is shot. Some of the extended burn might be because the whole thing has been overfueled and it's burning it off. Does it ever finally shut off or just sort of run dim forever? Got all the parts in the fuel/air tube and into the little brass block correct? If it doesn't shut off, I'd look at the needle seat and valve. You wouldn't be trying to get even with me on this for my Heikki first light up prank would you ??? :thinking: If so....good one! :lol: Doug

No Doug... I'm not messing with you. It scared the heck out of me when I lit it in the shed.Flames were coming from out of the ventilator and around the bottom of the glass. I shut the valve but still took a few minutes to die down.
The valve may be worn, and I don't think the needle seat is replaceable right? I know when I turn the generator cleaner it does click a bit, but that shouldn't cause this problem. If the valve and seat are worn too much, I think I'm going to have to replace the entire eccentric block......I just wonder why she "gurgles when I open the needle valve...... it gurgles inside the tank. Put another air/fuel tube on it and it made no differance.
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Micro469 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:27 pm

rainjer wrote:Did you verify the tip is on there now?

I would pull the generator off an check out. The easiest way is to take the frame nut off an just lift the entire frame off. Make sure the tip is on the generator. If so take the generator off an make sure the wire is still there. Also make sure the generator is hooked in the eccentric block. The other thing you may check to see if the screen is still in the burner.

Jeremy

Brand new generator. Yes it's installed correctly. And the screen is still in the burner and clean....
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Next

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment