This can't be good....

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Postby Micro469 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:35 pm

doug hodder wrote:I'd pressure up the fount...shut the valve completely down and see if you get any fuel leaking off into the generator as a starting point. Doug

I've done that. Can't see any fuel or hear any hissing.
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby rainjer » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:38 pm

Micro469 wrote:
rainjer wrote:Did you verify the tip is on there now?

I would pull the generator off an check out. The easiest way is to take the frame nut off an just lift the entire frame off. Make sure the tip is on the generator. If so take the generator off an make sure the wire is still there. Also make sure the generator is hooked in the eccentric block. The other thing you may check to see if the screen is still in the burner.

Jeremy

Brand new generator. Yes it's installed correctly. And the screen is still in the burner and clean....

I am not try to say you don't know what you are doing. I had a similar problem on another lantern. I did what I said above & double checked everything, put it back together and it worked fine. I don't know what I did to fix it but whatever it was it worked.

The gurgle is normal, that means you are getting gas thru the generator. It will quite out once it star running. You should hear air & the the gurgle.

Try de-pressurizing the tank, then open the valve all the way up with the gas cap off, close the valve, put the cap back on and then re-pressurize it.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby Micro469 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:02 am

rainjer wrote:
Micro469 wrote:
rainjer wrote:Did you verify the tip is on there now?

I would pull the generator off an check out. The easiest way is to take the frame nut off an just lift the entire frame off. Make sure the tip is on the generator. If so take the generator off an make sure the wire is still there. Also make sure the generator is hooked in the eccentric block. The other thing you may check to see if the screen is still in the burner.

Jeremy

Brand new generator. Yes it's installed correctly. And the screen is still in the burner and clean....

I am not try to say you don't know what you are doing. I had a similar problem on another lantern. I did what I said above & double checked everything, put it back together and it worked fine. I don't know what I did to fix it but whatever it was it worked.

The gurgle is normal, that means you are getting gas thru the generator. It will quite out once it star running. You should hear air & the the gurgle.

Try de-pressurizing the tank, then open the valve all the way up with the gas cap off, close the valve, put the cap back on and then re-pressurize it.

Jeremy

I've had this thing apart so many times I can put it together in my sleep. Nothing I do changes the way it acts. I've depressurized the tank with valve open , closed everything and started from the beginning. No change. It seems to to have a problem delivering a steady flow of gas to the mantle, and I don't know why. Tomorrow I'll take it apart one more time and use the air compressor on the eccentric block to see if anything is in there, If that doesn't work, I'll probably buy a whole new assembly...(or chuck it....).

Answer me this.... When you open the valve and turn the cleaner to the down position..... How should the gas be spraying ou tof the generator?
In a steady stream or
In a steady mist?????
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby rainjer » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:08 am

A very thin stream. You may try pre-heating the generator before you light it. Crack the valve until you hear the gurgle, turn it off. Use a small torch or butane lighter to heat the generator for 30 seconds or so, then try lighting it.

The generator atomizes the fuel once it heats up.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby rainjer » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:14 am

A friend of mine on the Coleman forum is saying you have a plugged air tube. The tube the generator goes into. Take a piece if wire the attach a piece of steel wool to it & run it thru it from the top all the way to the bottom.

Also, what kind of fuel are you using?

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby Micro469 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:23 am

rainjer wrote:A friend of mine on the Coleman forum is saying you have a plugged air tube. The tube the generator goes into. Take a piece if wire the attach a piece of steel wool to it & run it thru it from the top all the way to the bottom.

Also, what kind of fuel are you using?

Jeremy

I don't quite follow. The generatoris the piece that attaches to the eccentric block, right? The tube is new. The blockage, if any would then be in the eccentric block right? The fuel I'm using is the pure Coleman white gas........ Dang... Could this be a Kerosene lantern?????????
And How do you tell the differance????
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby rainjer » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:26 am

The air tube is the tube the tip of the generator goes into. It is attach to the frame. It goes from the top if the frame to the bottom of the frame.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby Micro469 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:41 am

rainjer wrote:The air tube is the tube the tip of the generator goes into. It is attach to the frame. It goes from the top if the frame to the bottom of the frame.

Jeremy

Just checked it out. Destroyed my mantle, but what the heck. Dissasembled the air tube...clean as a whistle.....
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby doug hodder » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:44 am

Got all the parts in the fuel air tube, the one going into the tank? Just doing some brain storming for you John. It's a serious flooding issue. I'm also thinking that there was a discussion on the Coleman board about the burner tubes being installed incorrectly. They have shorter threads on one end than the other...dunno if that is it, but it was discussed. Doug
Last edited by doug hodder on Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby rainjer » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:47 am

Micro469 wrote:
rainjer wrote:The air tube is the tube the tip of the generator goes into. It is attach to the frame. It goes from the top if the frame to the bottom of the frame.

Jeremy

Just checked it out. Destroyed my mantle, but what the heck. Dissasembled the air tube...clean as a whistle.....

Did you run some steel wool thru it? You can not see all the way thru the bend. Also check the u tube really well.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby Micro469 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:00 am

rainjer wrote:
Micro469 wrote:

Jeremy

Did you run some steel wool thru it? You can not see all the way thru the bend. Also check the u tube really well.

Jeremy

I took it completely apart. No obstructions. Ran a pipe cleaner through the u-tube. everything is clean.
I'm stumped guys. I appreciate your help. I know this isn't rocket science, but I don't know where to go from here other than replace the entire guts of this lantern........
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby rainjer » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:32 am

And you ran the pipe cleaner thru the rest of the air tube in the frame?

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby Micro469 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:42 am

rainjer wrote:And you ran the pipe cleaner thru the rest of the air tube in the frame?

Jeremy

Yep, everything's clean...
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby satch » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:02 am

Got marshmellows? :D
If it itches. scratch it
Rick
satch
Donating Member

Postby Mark72 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:26 am

Are you sure you didn't end up with a kerosene generator? That might explain why you are getting so much fuel. My AGM kerosene lantern will run on white gas if you preheat the generator first. If not you get too much raw fuel resulting in amazingly similar results.

Mark
ImageImage
Mark72
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment