my lanterns cleaned up

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

my lanterns cleaned up

Postby CASHCOW » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:43 pm

I wanted to get ready for the first camping trip of the new season. So, I decided to get out my lanterns and do some work in them. this is the before
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff14 ... 270337.jpg [IMG]

This is after several evenings of working in the MANCAVE:

They put out alot of light.

The first one is a 1962 228E, the second one is a 1972 200A, and the third one is a 1950 200. I am really proud of the last one, it was my dad's and it shined up really nice. :bounce: I can remember going camping with my family in the early '60's and it lit up our campsite. We stayed in one of those green Army tents....... :thumbsup: I can still smell that tent today.......... ;) :lol:

I still need a decal for the 200A. I tried to save it, but it got stuck on the painters tape.

I am also going to replace a couple of other small things on them but I want to get my stove cleaned up first before I order......that way in case I need anything for it I can do it all at the same time.
Serro Scotty Hilander http://txmc08.blogspot.com/
CASHCOW
The 300 Club

Postby doug hodder » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:34 pm

I remember the musty smell of one of those tents also, Mom always made a big deal of the smell. Drag it out of the back of the 57 Ford station wagon, and it weighed a ton. If it got wet, take it home and set it up to dry out. Her favorite story was the time we forgot the pole and had to go cut a replacement! What's cool is that you have that lantern running, and it was in the family for 50+ years! Carry on the tradition. Congrats on your efforts! Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby hotrod » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:37 pm

That is a nice group. Its cool that you have your dads lantern and other family camping stuff. Ive got some of my dads and his dads stuff and there is no way I could part with any of it..We drug that stuff all over the country... Keep them up!! Paul
We should rename this forum section, "the keepers of the flame" lololol
Paul
Some people are like slinkys.. not much good for anything but they still make you smile when you push them down the stairs....
hotrod
TILT
TILT

Postby BobR » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:16 am

Nice job...I hope my 200 turns out as good. What paint (brand, color) did you use to match the red?
Bob Richert
Parrish, FL
"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars"
BobR
Donating Member

Postby Micro469 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:16 pm

BobR wrote:Nice job...I hope my 200 turns out as good. What paint (brand, color) did you use to match the red?

Bob, When I did my 200, I took the ventilator to the store, and picked the best red there that matched.
:)
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby PresTx82 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:22 pm

hotrod wrote:That is a nice group. Its cool that you have your dads lantern and other family camping stuff. Ive got some of my dads and his dads stuff and there is no way I could part with any of it..We drug that stuff all over the country... Keep them up!! Paul
We should rename this forum section, "the keepers of the flame" lololol

Like I mentioned also on here before, keeping (and using) some of the old camping gear that your father or grandfather had is great way to remember them or the good times you had. I have one Coleman lantern from my Father-In-law that my wife remembers as as kid, and I have my father's old Boy Scout mess kit. Both of these items I still use. :thumbsup:
Mark
El Paso, Texas
PresTx82
500 Club

Postby CASHCOW » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:10 pm

BobR wrote:Nice job...I hope my 200 turns out as good. What paint (brand, color) did you use to match the red?

I used Rust-Oleum apple red it come out real close .
I you use it, its not as forgiving as Krilone I got some runs in it and had to wet sand them out :embarassed:

The green 228E is my wife's dad's lantern so i gess we have two flames to carry on. :thumbsup:
Serro Scotty Hilander http://txmc08.blogspot.com/
CASHCOW
The 300 Club

Postby cherokeegeorge » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:40 pm

Your lanterns look great :thumbsup:
George

For info on hitch covers
Teardrophitchcovers.com
cherokeegeorge
A Merkin Indian

Postby BobR » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:13 am

Micro469 wrote:

Bob, When I did my 200, I took the ventilator to the store, and picked the best red there that matched.
:)

I should have thought of that. Thanks John
Bob Richert
Parrish, FL
"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars"
BobR
Donating Member

Postby edevans » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:41 am

Your lanterns look really nice. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Ed
edevans
The 300 Club

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment