Surging 220D Lantern

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Surging 220D Lantern

Postby Zollinger » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:28 pm

Friday night I decided to play around with my 220D lantern. A little while after I lit it up my husband sez... Is it suppost to be surging like that? If you look real close every once in a while it gets just a little bit brighter, not much but a little. :o Is this normal? It will hold pressure for a couple of weeks. I suspect that I have a small air leak somewhere. Any Idea's? Help me out guys.

Dawn
Dawn
Zollinger
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby rainjer » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:30 pm

rainjer
King Koleman

Postby Zollinger » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:43 pm

Thanks Jeremy! I suspect I need to look into replacing the valve stem packing. When I had the lantern apart I noticed the packing had a small chunk out of it. :roll: Gonna hafta do sumthin' bout that. :oops:
Dawn
Dawn
Zollinger
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby doug hodder » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:27 pm

Something else that people might forget...I've done it...once you get it running, crank the valve completely open and make sure you have good pressure on the tank...I've had them pulse without them being completely open. Just my experience. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Zollinger » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:42 am

I must really be special BOTH the big guys, Jeremy & Doug posted a reply! :thumbsup:
The lantern will hold pressure for a couple of weeks. I'm gonna try cracking the valve further open to see if that helps. The surge is so slight that I never noticed it until you stare at it for a while.

Dawn
Dawn
Zollinger
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Nitetimes » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:28 pm

Zollinger wrote:I must really be special BOTH the big guys, Jeremy & Doug posted a reply! :thumbsup:
The lantern will hold pressure for a couple of weeks. I'm gonna try cracking the valve further open to see if that helps. The surge is so slight that I never noticed it until you stare at it for a while.

Dawn

Sure it's not just your eyes??? 8) :lol: :lol: Starring at a bright light for a while will do that to ya..........'specially after a few glasses of ????? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby Zollinger » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:51 pm

For your information I only had one barley pop and that was the night before! 8) 8) 8)
Dawn
Zollinger
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Nitetimes » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:57 pm

Zollinger wrote:For your information I only had one barley pop and that was the night before! 8) 8) 8)

Hey, I had to ask! Somebody had to be the smarta$$. 8) :lol: :lol:
Mine do that all the time, I don't pay any attention to it.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby WarPony » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:37 pm

Dawn, I have the same problem with one of my lanterns except mine has a HUGE surge that goes from orange, sooty flame to a halfa$$ bright light. I couldn't figure it out until I opened the knob the whole way out and it lit up like the sun.

I think the packing is the problem you're having. I haven't ordered new packing yet because I had already sunk a bunch of beer money getting the lanterns I won on Ebutt going. I just bid on another lantern tonight so I'll wait and see if the PBR funds will be even lower :lol: ........

I'm going to bet some new packing will fix the surging problem you have.

Jeff
ImageImage

Still a million dollars away from being a millionaire!!
WarPony
Donating Member

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment