Help

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Help

Postby planovet » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:02 pm

As I get near to the point of getting my tear campable, I'm am starting to look at the lanterns that everyone has here. There are some really nice reconditionings going on. I'd like to find a lantern or two to refurbish for myself. I'm partial to the red Coleman lanterns (I wonder why) but I'll start with any. I had an old Coleman when I was a kid but I never knew what happened to it.

My question is what do I look for and what price range is reasonable? Are Colemans the best or are others just as good? Any help getting started would be appreciated.
ImageMark (& Cindi)
Visit our website: Little Swiss Teardrop

I was wondering why the water balloon was getting bigger... and then it hit me.

ImageImageImageImage
planovet
The Cat Man

Postby hotrod » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:07 pm

oh my, what a slippery slope you are startting to decend.. :lol:
I like the coleman stuff BUT if I could find anything that was different from the norm it would be cool. Ive got a 2 mantle dual fuel that sees regular duty, it was jst recently that I dug up a 1946 242c at my folks place, single mantle, nickel tank, also cool and its a bit smaller so it takes up less room, thats the one that will probably stay in the tear.
Theres tons of info in this thread, use it.. lolol Most of all do what makes YOU happy, after all isnt that what counts?? 75% of this stuff isnt whacked out price wise, its actually a pretty cheap side hobby.. Have fun and welcome to the enLIGHTened side...we have waffles.. :D
Paul
Some people are like slinkys.. not much good for anything but they still make you smile when you push them down the stairs....
hotrod
TILT
TILT

Postby WarPony » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:16 pm

Mark, both you and I are interested in the red 200A lanterns. I've been scouring the 'net but haven't come across a good one that is going for cheap. Well, I've found "cheap" but didn't want a basket case. If I hit one with a good vent, I'm on it.... I can fix bad paint.

Jeff
ImageImage

Still a million dollars away from being a millionaire!!
WarPony
Donating Member

Postby planovet » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:21 pm

hotrod wrote:oh my, what a slippery slope you are startting to decend..

Any worse than building a teardrop? :lol:
ImageMark (& Cindi)

ImageImageImageImage
planovet
The Cat Man

Postby planovet » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:30 pm

WarPony wrote:Mark, both you and I are interested in the red 200A lanterns. I've been scouring the 'net but haven't come across a good one that is going for cheap. Well, I've found "cheap" but didn't want a basket case. If I hit one with a good vent, I'm on it.... I can fix bad paint.

I love the look of those lanterns. I may be showing my ignorance but what part is the vent? And how can you tell if a lantern is going to be good from just a few pictures (i.e. eBay or such)?
ImageMark (& Cindi)

ImageImageImageImage
planovet
The Cat Man

Postby hotrod » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:43 pm

planovet wrote:
hotrod wrote:oh my, what a slippery slope you are startting to decend..

Any worse than building a teardrop? :lol:

Im beginning to wonder that myself.... :lol: :lol:
Love the cats think they are gods thing, we have three spoiled brat cats.....Its very true.
Paul
Some people are like slinkys.. not much good for anything but they still make you smile when you push them down the stairs....
hotrod
TILT
TILT

Postby WarPony » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:50 pm

Mark, the vent or ventilator is the top. Ebay is one of those things that is tricky, if the pics are iffy I stay away.

Jeff
ImageImage

Still a million dollars away from being a millionaire!!
WarPony
Donating Member

Postby Sparksalot » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:10 pm

Oh man, you are so hosed....

I'm kinda leaning toward cast iron myself. :worship:
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Re: Help

Postby rainjer » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:15 pm

planovet wrote:As I get near to the point of getting my tear campable, I'm am starting to look at the lanterns that everyone has here. There are some really nice reconditionings going on. I'd like to find a lantern or two to refurbish for myself. I'm partial to the red Coleman lanterns (I wonder why) but I'll start with any. I had an old Coleman when I was a kid but I never knew what happened to it.

My question is what do I look for and what price range is reasonable? Are Colemans the best or are others just as good? Any help getting started would be appreciated.

If you like the red ones, you are looking for a Coleman 200A. They are a single mantle 300 candle power lantern. You can spend $5.00 to $500.00 on one depending on the condition.

I paid $12.00 for this one.

I paid $10.00 for this one.
After a little TLC the $10.00 one looks like this.

One other option is to look for a Sears Red & Black. The came in 3 models. A single mantle & 2 different double mantle models.
These are harder to find since they only made them one year.

I like to look at the smaller 2nd hand stores. They usually tent to have more of them. Also hit garage sales & flee markets. When at garage sales, ask if they have any camping gear.

Whenever you are looking at a lantern, pump it up a few time & crack the valve and listen for the hiss. If it hisses, buy it. If it does not hiss, open the fuel cam slowly & see if there is any pressure. If not pass unless you want a lot of work, if yes it is salvageable with some TLC.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby bg » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:42 pm

Mark,

I have a pair of 220's that you're welcome to - I don't have the time to fool with them & would be glad to see them go to a good home.
Bobby(, Kim & Wayne)
bg
500 Club

Postby hotrod » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:53 pm

you know what happens when you leave two of them alone togather? ruh roh.... :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Paul
hotrod
TILT
TILT

Postby dreadcptflint » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:10 pm

WarPony wrote:Mark, both you and I are interested in the red 200A lanterns. I've been scouring the 'net but haven't come across a good one that is going for cheap. Well, I've found "cheap" but didn't want a basket case. If I hit one with a good vent, I'm on it.... I can fix bad paint.

Jeff

What do you concider cheap? I ran into a few the other week and I want to say they were running around $90. I didn't crack them open but they looked good at a glance.

(I am not allowed to bring home antique lamps as we have a good duel fuel that gets the job done).
The quickest way to find me is on my business site. Yes, I do answer questions and provide quotes for free. Find me at: http://www.wenatcheefarmers.com
dreadcptflint
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby planovet » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:25 pm

Sparksalot wrote:Oh man, you are so hosed....

I'm kinda leaning toward cast iron myself. :worship:

I'm sure cast iron will be in my future :lol:
ImageMark (& Cindi)

ImageImageImageImage
planovet
The Cat Man

Postby Micro469 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:31 pm

Mark!!!! Walk away from that lantern!!! Run Run Run, as fast as you can...No!! Put that lantern down!!!>>>>>>AAIIIEEEEEEE!!!!!!

It's too late.. I think he's a goner............. :lol:
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby dobyman » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:33 pm

Mark, hit the rummage sales!! i picked up my 200A, in the box at a church sale for $2.50, and its in great shape. You can look on ebay too, but you will generally pay more, a LOT more if its really nice. Rummages are my weekends and I love them. Even when i camp, i get out and hit the local sales wherever I am at. [img]http://www.tnttt.com/gallery/image.php?image_id=48522][img][/img][/img]
Dobyman!
If you can't find it at a rummage sale..... you dont need it!
dobyman
Teardrop Master

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment