You hooked another one

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

You hooked another one

Postby tinksdad » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:07 pm

After all the reading on here, I just couldn't resist today. It was calling my name at a garage sale. $2.00 and the mouse nest was thrown in for free. Gave it a couple of pumps and it seems to be holding pressure, so I guess that's a good sign.

I also have a feeling this may not be the only one in my future as well. Another hobby I can't afford!!!

For those who can't tell at a glance (that includes me!!); it's a 425E. What's that make it? Late 60's early 70's or am I way off the mark?

tinksdad
500 Club

Postby doug hodder » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:12 pm

Made that one in 68 and 70. And welcome to the dark side....get a lantern and go bright! Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby tinksdad » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:00 pm

It kept calling my name even after I got it home; so I figured I would start with the easy part..... the case.

Which brings me to probably the first of many questions before I get this thing ready to fire up.

I want to take the case down to all it's components before I start de-rusting it. The secondary burner rod..... I assume I am going to have to get that little horseshoe clip off and un-thread the rod. That seems logical. The brass insert that it is threaded through. From the inside of the fuel bowl it looks like it is sitting in a recess shaped to fit, so there is no un-winding it from that side. Does the nut shaped thing on the outside of the bowl come off or is it just stamped to look like a nut? (I haven't hit it with the wire brush yet to see if it's a separate piece or not.) I'll be headed to Cheapo Depot for Naval Jelly and other rust removal supplies this evening.

Sorry for the fuzzy pictures; but my camera is on it's last legs and the macro settings don't work any more.
tinksdad
500 Club

Postby dobyman » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:28 pm

they are addicting. i went to a LOT of rummages today and picked up a 12/79 413G, for $5, that has never been lit. still had the cardboard and instructions inside. the outside however, was a different story. it had some really deep rust on it, in a lot of areas. where it says Coleman 413G on the front is barely legible because of the rust and pitting. i brought it home and sanded it down as best i could and threw a coat of paint on it (in the wind!). im soaking the leather now so i will try and pump it up tomorrow and see if she fires up. this one isnt a show piece, and never will be, but it should cook a lot of good meals and if it gets scratched or dented, thats OK too! that way the nice ones I have stay nice!
I also talked to the 2 gentlemen helping out at the sale, and they said they have a "few" Coleman lanterns in their garages, so they are going to call me in the morning to come and see them! YES!!! :twisted:
good luck on the project!
Steve
Dobyman!
If you can't find it at a rummage sale..... you dont need it!
dobyman
Teardrop Master

Postby hotrod » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:18 pm

ooohhh my.....We hooked another one.. Have fun guys!!! :o :o :o :o
Paul
Some people are like slinkys.. not much good for anything but they still make you smile when you push them down the stairs....
hotrod
TILT
TILT

Postby BK » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:37 pm

I wouldn't be concerned with taken the secondary burner rod out. If you
clean the rust off the threads and it turns free your good to go. I think
trying to get the circle clip off or back on the rod will be more of a pain in
the *** then its worth. Both stoves I've done I just cleaned the threads
up unscrewed the rod out all the way and painted.
413G 9/78
413G 9/78
413D
BK
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tinksdad » Mon May 25, 2009 10:12 pm

It took long enough; but they are ready as they are going to be for their debut. I'm still waiting for new filler caps and decals to finish them off.

425E Stove circa 1968 or 1970 according to Doug.
And a 228F Lantern from October, 1971.

Total investment so far for purchase, rust removal and repainting.... $27.

I still have an April 1957 228E lantern to work on.
tinksdad
500 Club

Postby dobyman » Mon May 25, 2009 10:22 pm

Looks great. must have spent HOURS on that stove. Its not an easy ordeal! Lantern too! Nice Job! :thumbsup: You did a great job, and you should be proud! Thats the fun of doing it! Show them off! :applause: :applause:
Dobyman!
If you can't find it at a rummage sale..... you dont need it!
dobyman
Teardrop Master

Postby doug hodder » Mon May 25, 2009 10:54 pm

Those look great! It is a fun hobby to get into and it's not very expensive. Steve E called tonight and said he picked up 3 lanterns at a flea market for 2$ total. Pretty cheap fun. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment