Sears stove at a rummage sale!

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Sears stove at a rummage sale!

Postby dobyman » Thu May 14, 2009 1:56 pm

I need help.....Again! (Go figure :lol: )
Picked this up this morning, and couldnt find a date on it? Any ideas? Also, I want to restore it, so I need to know, is there any place that sells decals to replace the one inside the lid? Thanks in advance! Steve
Dobyman!
If you can't find it at a rummage sale..... you dont need it!
dobyman
Teardrop Master

Postby caseydog » Thu May 14, 2009 2:53 pm

If you cant find a decal for it, just take a really good photo of it, and someone who is good with computer graphics can make a new one that most sign shops can print out on decal material.

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Don't Touch It!

Postby HossHoffer » Thu May 14, 2009 10:20 pm

Just my opinion but I wouldn't do a full blown resto on that. I would take the guts out and clean it up as well as you can, rebuild the burner and tank and put it back together. If I were to paint it I would just tape off the decal and touch up the paint where needed. Good luck on finding a new latch!
HossHoffer
Teardrop Master

Postby dobyman » Thu May 14, 2009 10:38 pm

Those are both good ideas. I actually thought of masking the decal if i couldnt get one somewhere, or leave the inside lid as-is and try and match the color and repaint the rest of it.
The latch is all there, you just cant tell in the pics. Push button works perfect.
Are Coleman generators able to work in place of the one thats on there? It is froze up big time!
Thanks again for the advice!
Steve
Dobyman!
dobyman
Teardrop Master

Postby Laredo » Fri May 15, 2009 12:21 am

Might be a Coleman generator (I think they furnished parts for Sears stoves as well as Gold Bond and others). You may find this link useful (scroll down for a JC Higgins):
http://terrence.marsh.faculty.noctrl.ed ... ovead.html
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby dobyman » Fri May 15, 2009 3:47 pm

Yep Laredo, was looking at that stove yesterday. Same stove, same generator as mine. Im gonna look at a few generators on other tanks that i have here to see if one will work. :thinking:
Dobyman!
dobyman
Teardrop Master

Postby doug hodder » Fri May 15, 2009 6:02 pm

Nice looking stove! The decal guy is out of commission for quite a while. But you could take a really good photo of it and have someone scan and cut it in vinyl. I got the last order in to him and I'm waiting for my stuff to show up. It's been a while too! Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby dobyman » Fri May 15, 2009 6:12 pm

doug hodder wrote: The decal guy is out of commission for quite a while. Doug

Story of my life, a day late and a dollar short. :lol:
Dobyman!
dobyman
Teardrop Master

Postby robert johnson » Fri May 15, 2009 9:37 pm

Boy...original paint and decal. I wouldn't repaint it at all. Polishing compound and wax will do wonders. and restore the "guts". Remember it only has it's original paint once. the thing nowdays is "patina", people are far more impressed to see original paint on......anything.

....Bob
robert johnson
Teardrop Advisor

Postby doug hodder » Sat May 16, 2009 5:15 pm

Based on the type of tank, with a pump on the flat ends...similar to the 425B, left handed with a knob on the lighting lever....I'd bet it to be early to mid 50's. Just a guess. Like mentioned...I think it'd just do up the working parts on it. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby dobyman » Sat May 16, 2009 7:15 pm

well i guess I'll go with the experts and just do the guts. hopefully, some of the really bad stuff will come off the case. i can always do the case at a later date if i dont like what i get. Ill post some pics when i get it cleaned up and ready. thats for all the input. i respect the all of opinions around here!
Steve
Dobyman!
dobyman
Teardrop Master

Postby Laredo » Sun May 17, 2009 12:00 am

try some of the more 'delicate' cleaners first -- I'd pull the works out and soak 'em overnight in white vinegar, then see what all came off / out with a little steel-wool encouragement.

For the painted case, I'd try a steam treatment -- or maybe a hot-water spray treatment.

Got a handheld shower? You're golden. If not, get the biggest deep pan in the kitchen and an oven rack. Fill the pan 3/4 full of water, bring to a boil, put the rack on top, set the stove on the rack. Turn the burner down as far as possible without turning it off and tent everything with some aluminum foil. It should only need 10-15 minutes for all the crud that's gonna, to come loose.
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby dobyman » Mon May 18, 2009 6:24 am

I actually have a hand held in the basement by the laundry tubs, so that will be the easy part. It isnt really bad as far as crud and grease, its mostly the scorching and the rust spot on the top of the cover that bothers me. Ill post a few pics as soon as it is done. I hope to blast the guts today or tomorrow. I saw a really different Sears stove at a flea market yesterday, it was white with a black/white striped top on it. Had two clips on the sides that held the top lid down for storage. Never seen one like it. Hmmmm :thinking:
Dobyman!
dobyman
Teardrop Master

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment