ahhhh......

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

ahhhh......

Postby hotrod » Sun May 17, 2009 8:15 am

Last night I was getting the camper ready for next weekend.
I fueled up the newish old reliable 425 campstove and lit it up on the bench in the shop. It was then and there I remembered what one of my all time favorite things about camping. I turned off the radio and just listened to it burn. The sound and the odor remind me alot of camping with my parents back in "the day".We went all over. I hope it can become one of my daughters favorite memories. Ive eaten alot of pancakes off the parents coleman, reminds me of a cool damp canadian morning. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: .
Paul
Some people are like slinkys.. not much good for anything but they still make you smile when you push them down the stairs....
hotrod
TILT
TILT

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Sun May 17, 2009 9:58 am

Ahh Yaa... The smell of white gas in the morning. :coffee:
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby High Desert » Sun May 17, 2009 10:59 am

that is one of those smells and sounds that always brings a smile no matter where I'm at :D
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Postby dreadcptflint » Sun May 17, 2009 2:03 pm

Yup and the hiss of the latterns sets off a smile as well.
The quickest way to find me is on my business site. Yes, I do answer questions and provide quotes for free. Find me at: http://www.wenatcheefarmers.com
dreadcptflint
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby doug hodder » Sun May 17, 2009 8:29 pm

The sound and smell of the stoves and lantern always bring back fond memories of camping for me. As a kid...that was vacation, load the 57 Ford station wagon and go camping. No one ever took a plane ride back then for a vacation!, even if it was just a weekend up in the woods with the leaky tent, love that old canvas smell as well, but am not willing to deal with a tent anymore, leastwise canvas!

Dad would get up early and I'd still be in a sleeping bag and hear him pumping the stove, and would get up to the smell of his coffee and white gas. Still got the stove, runs great, still got the drop cloth from under the tent as well, and the old army shovel that was always with us, I take them all camping with me regularly.

This is the stuff that makes for good memories of camping, I really feel sorry for so many people that never have the chance to experience those things and to get their kids interested in the out of doors. I was thrilled when I got my first pocket knife, or dad would let me build the fire, not too thrilled with just how bad a fish hook can hurt however. I'm glad I got the chance to do this stuff as a kid....Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby High Desert » Sun May 17, 2009 8:38 pm

ok thats it. I'm gonna dig out my gear and set it up in the garage so I can feel better until I can go camping :D
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Zollinger » Mon May 18, 2009 6:44 pm

Aww the heck with it. I think i'm gonna take up my husbands offer and go camping next weekend. Nothing beats the smell of white gas and the hiss of the lantern.
Dawn
Dawn
Zollinger
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment