Yard sale find - Good thing or trouble?

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Yard sale find - Good thing or trouble?

Postby JayM » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:11 pm

I've been meaning to post some pics here of an old stove that I have had for many years. When I built my tear, I found that it didn't really fit that well in the galley when opened up, and have been on the lookout for something a little more compact. Today I was checking out craigslist in town and ran across an ad for a Coleman propane stove at a yard sale. Since I had to run an errand at lunch, and it was on the way, I decided to stop and check it out. It wasn't propane, but I decided to grab it anyway. I got this stove and an old galvanized metal tackle box for $22, and it seemed like a pretty good deal. It has a little but of rust on the inside and a few scratches on the outside and a small dent in the left rear that I think I can straighten out pretty easily.
I'm just not sure, after seeing on this section what this kind of purchase can do to someone :thinking: , if this is good or just the beginning of something I'll regret later.

It's a model 413H, and has 6 82 stamped on the bottom. It even had a mostly full tank of fuel, and fired right up. It seems to work well, so I guess it hasn't been used much or was well taken care of.

I haven't messed with one of these since my old Boy Scout days in the 60's.

Anyway, here are the pics:
I guess I can clean up the rust easily with some steel wool, but my question is, should I repaint it? If so, where do you get original color paint?

I also have some pics of my older propane stove. It's a Primus that I bought new about 1972. I've never seen another one like it, and haven't been able to find anything about it on the internet. The tops of the valves say "Primus Seivert" and it says "Primus" on the side of the nozzle housing. There are holes in the base that appear to be for a wind screen of some type. It folds up to hold the propane bottles.

Just thought I'd share.
JayM
Teardrop Advisor

Postby doug hodder » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:15 pm

I think I'd just scrub it down well with some soap and water, and not use steel wool on any of the rust on the paint or you will be painting it. I think the paint is in pretty good shape and I wouldn't mess with that, but maybe paint the pan under the burners. Typically a hunter green will be a decent match. You can use steel wool on the remainder of the parts that are just bare steel. Nice stove, great shape! Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby dobyman » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:12 pm

You might as well clean out a spot now, because you WILL own more stoves! :lol: :lol: :lol: 6 months ago I owned one propane stove, now I have about a dozen old gas ones! Nice find!
Dobyman!
If you can't find it at a rummage sale..... you dont need it!
dobyman
Teardrop Master

Postby JayM » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:55 am

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. Oh well, I should probably go ahead and start figuring out where to put some more of them. :lol:I'd kind of like to find a 1-burner like the 502 that TLC just posted in this thread. http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=30734
JayM
Teardrop Advisor

Postby dobyman » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:00 pm

Oh yeah, then theres the lanterns!!!! :lol: Clear off another shelf! :lol:
Dobyman!
If you can't find it at a rummage sale..... you dont need it!
dobyman
Teardrop Master

Postby JayM » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:15 pm

I guess I could get rid of those old tents, since I have a teardrop now :thinking:
JayM
Teardrop Advisor

Postby starleen2 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:32 pm

JayM wrote:I guess I could get rid of those old tents, since I have a teardrop now :thinking:

Save one -When other's ask you "do you Sleep in there?" just point to the tent box and say"yeah, I used to sleep in one of those - can you believe that!" :lol:
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment