Garage Sale find!!

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Garage Sale find!!

Postby CASHCOW » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:15 pm

After coffee with the friends, I decided to go check out the local finds at some garage sales yesterday.
Must have been my lucky day! I drove by the first one and we decided to stop because we are searching for a sleeper chair for the spare bedroom. But to my surprise, I found something even better!

There sitting on top of an old roll-top desk, was a lantern with green top and a dirty silver-looking bottom. My mouth dropped open, my heart skipped a couple of beats (thank goodness it wasnt more than just a couple!)

I didnt dare take my eyes off of it for fear someone else might snatch it up. When I finally got Brenda to look my way, she just rolled her eyes.

(Of course she was thinking.... JUST WHAT WE NEED IS ANOTHER DANG LANTERN!!!) But after I twisted the guy's arm to get him to take $!0.00 for it instead of $15.00, I happily carried off the precious cargo to the pickup.

Got home and began to clean it up (forgot to take a before picture) At first I thought it was a model # 2420. But when I got to checking closer, it is a 1948 model 242C!!!!!!!!!!! :o :thumbsup:

It shined up so pretty. Now, now all I need to get is a new "BLUDGED" globe for it and it will really shine. (it had a globe, but our daughter's boyfriend found another lantern yesterday as well ...a 200A... and needed a BLUDGED globe, and I let him have mine.) SO, I am off to order a couple of globes online. You would think a town the size of Amarillo would carry that particular globe but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! nary a one in sight.........

anyway, I was really excited to find another "antique" lantern ( hey, if it is older than me, it is an antique!!! :thumbsup: ;)

I will upload a final pic later .........
Serro Scotty Hilander http://txmc08.blogspot.com/
CASHCOW
The 300 Club

Postby rainjer » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:32 pm

If you have an Ace Hardware in your area, check with them. That is where I buy them.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby CASHCOW » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:35 pm

Wow thanks..........never thought of checking there!
Serro Scotty Hilander http://txmc08.blogspot.com/
CASHCOW
The 300 Club

Re: Garage Sale find!!

Postby hotrod » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:05 pm

Mike and Brenda wrote:After coffee with the friends, I decided to go check out the local finds at some garage sales yesterday.
Must have been my lucky day! I drove by the first one and we decided to stop because we are searching for a sleeper chair for the spare bedroom. But to my surprise, I found something even better!

There sitting on top of an old roll-top desk, was a lantern with green top and a dirty silver-looking bottom. My mouth dropped open, my heart skipped a couple of beats (thank goodness it wasnt more than just a couple!)

I didnt dare take my eyes off of it for fear someone else might snatch it up. When I finally got Brenda to look my way, she just rolled her eyes.

(Of course she was thinking.... JUST WHAT WE NEED IS ANOTHER DANG LANTERN!!!) But after I twisted the guy's arm to get him to take $!0.00 for it instead of $15.00, I happily carried off the precious cargo to the pickup.

Got home and began to clean it up (forgot to take a before picture) At first I thought it was a model # 2420. But when I got to checking closer, it is a 1948 model 242C!!!!!!!!!!! :o :thumbsup:

It shined up so pretty. Now, now all I need to get is a new "BLUDGED" globe for it and it will really shine. (it had a globe, but our daughter's boyfriend found another lantern yesterday as well ...a 200A... and needed a BLUDGED globe, and I let him have mine.) SO, I am off to order a couple of globes online. You would think a town the size of Amarillo would carry that particular globe but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! nary a one in sight.........

anyway, I was really excited to find another "antique" lantern ( hey, if it is older than me, it is an antique!!! :thumbsup: ;)

I will upload a final pic later .........

welcome to the royal order of 242C owners of America!! I got a 47 vintage.. :applause: :applause: :applause:
Paul
Some people are like slinkys.. not much good for anything but they still make you smile when you push them down the stairs....
hotrod
TILT
TILT

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment