Coleman Keepers Campfire come on in!

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Postby doug hodder » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:08 pm

DragonFire wrote:You know if someone throws out an idea I'm going to run with it.

Uh oh...... :twisted: :twisted:
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Lazybones » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:16 pm

Here are some of my lanterns. All but two were fixed and fired up for the first time since who knows when this afternoon.

Barbara, You probably don't need parts for your lantern. Most of the time a good take apart and clean is all that's needed.

Is it true? Is it necessary? Is it kind? Ask yourself these simple questions every time you are in doubt about any action.
Lazybones
500 Club

Postby DragonFire » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:55 pm

I was reading the rebuild part of oldcolemanparts and I may need to get some new stuff...

First concern is if I can get the rust off. That piece may need to be replaced. I'll take some pictures tomorrow when it's light and attempt to post them. I'll take stock of what parts I think need to be replaced and why and see what you all think. I want it to be safe...this one is one I plan on using regularly when camping. It's what we used when camping as kids.

Lucky for me: the 2 globes I bought yesterday for 99 cents ea. are for this lantern...just in case someone knocks it over and breaks it (as Lee knows happened in Aug. at our scooter rally...)
'79 Grasshopper
Coleman Keepers 200a Gang
DragonFire
Donating Member

Postby DragonFire » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:01 pm

I really like that picture...nice lanterns! Hopefully I can get mine working and lit..the 220F has me a little concerned due to the rust in some areas, and I'm not sure it will ever be as nice looking as your lanterns!!

My trailer isn't teardrop shaped, my lanterns probably won't be shiny, but I'll still be a happy camper!! :)
'79 Grasshopper
DragonFire
Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:49 pm

So you know how to deal with rust? Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Wolffarmer » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:11 am

Hey you bunch a nut cases. I hadn't read this thread for a few days. I think ya'all went off the deep end. Now we are all swimming in the same pool.

Dragon Fire. I have an Oct 1969 200a also. Mine is just about perfect. But it won't be if I ever do what I have thought up for it. I do like my 242C better anyway for a user.

This all reminds me of a motorcycle camping club I belong to. We have two rules.

Rule 1. There are no rules
Rule 2. See rule one

It has been going good since the earlyish 70s. I have been in since about 76 or 77. People just kind volunteer to run the thing and send in your dues to get the news letter.

And why is the cut off date for equipment 1975? Something happen then or is it some arbitrary date? Not that I don't have stuff that old. I have plenty of stuff that meet that requirement.

How about one needs to have at least one each of single and double mantle lantern.

One each of single and double burner stove. If you wish to be a grand pooba you need a 3 burner also.

Dang it is late. I better get to bed before i get into more trouble.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Ratkity » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:29 am

Rule 1. There are no rules
Rule 2. See rule one

I agree! :thumbsup: :applause:

OMGosh Lazy, you have both Sears'!! I only have the big hat one.

I lub me some lantern pictures!!!!! No matter how jealous it makes me. Especially pictures from our Coleman Keepers. I know the lanterns are are in good hands. BTW, the lanterns forgive much abuse and use. It's their job!

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Postby Lazybones » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:30 pm

Ratkity wrote:Rule 1. There are no rules
Rule 2. See rule one

I agree! :thumbsup: :applause:

OMGosh Lazy, you have both Sears'!! I only have the big hat one.

Ratkity

I was fortunate enough to have a friend give me the single mantel lantern.

He was cleaning up and new I was looking for them.
Is it true? Is it necessary? Is it kind? Ask yourself these simple questions every time you are in doubt about any action.
Lazybones
500 Club

Postby DragonFire » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:40 pm

Doug: tell me what to do about the rust. Take it apart and soak the offending piece in cola? Sand with very fine grit sandpaper after using a bit of SOS pad on it to knock of the bigger flakes?

I'll get pictures in a bit so you know what I'm dealing with. Right now I have to go pretreat my wooden sink insert. I want to start staining it today and get it back to the trailer soon, like whenever I can take the legal license plate over to it! :)
'79 Grasshopper
DragonFire
Donating Member

Postby campmaster-k » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:15 pm

No rules! Yea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8)
-Kirk

>TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB

>CEO Coleman Recovery Inc.

>Nor Cal Camping Pinewood Racing Team

Build thread -

viewtopic.php?t=45307&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180

Check out my Pictures -

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... 0QQtppZZ24
campmaster-k
Lifetime member

Postby doug hodder » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:50 pm

Mix up some citric acid...packages of Koolaid has it, or you can pick it up at any store that has canning supplies. Mix a teaspoon full into a qt. of water, I make stronger batches. warm water works best. I cleaned up some incredibly rusty stuff today and in about 2 hours of sitting on the wood stove in the garage...they were like new. Watch leaving brass or nickel in it for long periods....it'll eat it up. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby campmaster-k » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:09 pm

Lazybones wrote:Here are some of my lanterns. All but two were fixed and fired up for the first time since who knows when this afternoon.

Barbara, You probably don't need parts for your lantern. Most of the time a good take apart and clean is all that's needed.

Great looking burn. Ahhhhhhhhhh Just look at it. :bowdown:
-Kirk

>TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB

>CEO Coleman Recovery Inc.

>Nor Cal Camping Pinewood Racing Team

Build thread -

viewtopic.php?t=45307&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180

Check out my Pictures -

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... 0QQtppZZ24
campmaster-k
Lifetime member

Postby DragonFire » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:51 pm

I'm tempted to make this my desktop...nicely balanced picture, beautiful lanterns. Evey time I look at it I think it's like looking at a fire in the fireplace or a campfire...warm, comfortable. Cozy. There just isn't anything quite like the glow of those lanterns. Maybe it's just the memories of camping in the redwoods and Oregon as a kid with my family..although sometimes those 6 cousins were a real handful... :?
'79 Grasshopper
DragonFire
Donating Member

Postby DragonFire » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:02 pm

Doug-so you kept the pieces in the citric acid kind of simmering on the wood stove? Does it need to stay warm in order to work well or does it just speed it up a bunch?

I can just see a big roasting pan with lantern parts simmering on the stove on Thanksgiving! :lol:
'79 Grasshopper
DragonFire
Donating Member

Postby starleen2 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:43 am

DragonFire wrote:Doug-so you kept the pieces in the citric acid kind of simmering on the wood stove? Does it need to stay warm in order to work well or does it just speed it up a bunch?

I can just see a big roasting pan with lantern parts simmering on the stove on Thanksgiving! :lol:

Another good ole rust remover is plain old vinegar (that's what I use) you can just soak the piece in it for a while or get faster results if you warm it like the citric acid - same thoughts apply to the nickle finishes
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

PreviousNext

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment