Coleman Keepers Campfire come on in!

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Re: Coleman Keepers Campfire come on in!

Postby Wolffarmer » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:32 pm

New to me TV, going to try and sell a couple of my others. I am getting old enough that I need to stop trying to get into those way out of the way places. Some of them anyway.

I have finally started to sell some of my stuff off. Slow start so far but at least I have sold some. I have threatened to do so for about 30 years. Have not sold any Coleman yet. But stay tuned. If I do I will probably give Coleman keepers first crack at it.

:frightened: Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:08 pm

Where does the line form? :D
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Wanna Be » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:57 am

KCStudly wrote:Where does the line form? :D

Count me in line please !!!
NO "cutting" in the line please !!!

I'm still looking for a lantern or two.

Wanna Be

;) ;)
This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave.
~Elmer Davis

"Well, if you can't believe what you read in a comic book, what can you believe?" ~ Bullwinkle J. Moose

Also I am a professional spelling butcher.. I don't carry a dictionary and my spell check is broke!!
Wanna Be
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:50 pm

Wanna Be, you looking for something specific?

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Wanna Be » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:01 am

Randy,
I have been looking for a good burner, / runner for a few years now.
Can't seem to find any.

A friend found for me a "Thermos" brand lantern at a yard sale.
Real rough shape, I don't know where to find parts for it.

I found a few stoves at yard sales this year, One is near new, and the other needs a new pump seal or check valve.
Pics to follow soon.

I would like to be a member of the club too !!

Wanna Be

;) ;)
This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave.
~Elmer Davis

"Well, if you can't believe what you read in a comic book, what can you believe?" ~ Bullwinkle J. Moose

Also I am a professional spelling butcher.. I don't carry a dictionary and my spell check is broke!!
Wanna Be
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:52 am

Thermos lanterns can be a real pita. But some are very good runners. The pump/fuel cap combo uses standard O-rings in the piston and the cap seal. It is the check valve that can be the devil. It is setting in the fuel most of the time and when it stops sealing you get fuel in the pump and when a person goes to add some pressure and pulls up on the knob. Gets gas all over their hand and other places. Often in the presence of a hot burning lantern. Not a lot of fun. Or if it fails very bad the fuel will shoot out on its own. I have learned how to clean the check valve and have only minimal ( note minimal ) problems. They also seem to be harder to get going than most of the other lanterns I have. If you need a generator, well that will be a toughie. They use the 21A coleman size mantels though I recommend the Peerless brand by far over the Colemans you can buy in the store now. Older Colemans are great if you have them, smoke them. Or something like that.

If you have a fairly new stove it will probably burn great. Might need a cap gasket. The one with pump problems probably just needs to have the pump leather oiled up. I used Singer sewing machine oil or 3 in 1 oil for years. Now I use neats foot oil. Unless your pump has the neoprene pump cup. Those are terrible. replace it with a leather cup.

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby teardrop_focus » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:24 am

Guess I should stoke the coals, here...

The trailer project continues with a good ponder... I'll finish it eventually.

Say, where are the IRG 5.0 pictures hiding?

Thanks!

- Chris

"There is something about these little trailers that brings out the best in people." - BigAl, Scotland, 2010

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into the trees...
The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away like autumn leaves..." - John Muir, 1898

Chris Squier / teardrop_focus :-)~
teardrop_focus
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:41 pm

Tasty looking stove! :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:45 pm

Not enough bacon grease on that stove yet to be tasty.

Nice collection

Very nice

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby teardrop_focus » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:56 pm

Thanks, fellas!

That 413E is a brand-new, late-'50s gem.

I cook bacon over a single-burner 500 Speedmaster; that way the bacon splatter goes everywhere but on the stove. Hee!

Say, again; are there any IRG 5.0 pics posted yet? If so, which of the over-100 subforums might they be in? I've checked a couple already.

"There is something about these little trailers that brings out the best in people." - BigAl, Scotland, 2010

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into the trees...
The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away like autumn leaves..." - John Muir, 1898

teardrop_focus
Donating Member

Postby teardrop_focus » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:01 pm

Nevermind... I found some in the Jefferson State subforum.

Lemme go looky-see.

[Edit:] ...not much in there but a quick vid and a handful of images. I don't see anyone I recognize, such as sno0p dougie doug, KevinA/Blarney, et al.

:-)

teardrop_focus
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:45 pm

I stopped at an estate sale today and found a 425E. Not like I need more stoves but I do not have a 425E. And the price was right. Buck and a half. It was half price time so the $3 tag was cut in half. Stove is a bit crusty but if you look past the crusty and scorched paint does not look to be used much. At home the pump would not make pressure at all. Pulled it and the leather looked like an old shoe one finds in the desert. Neats footed it and worked it in for a few minutes and pump now works like a champ. Inside the tank is a bit of fuel. Shine a light in there and can not see any rust and it smells like vintage CF. Screw cap on and give it some pressure and it does not leak. Fill it all the way up with CF and after I blow the bigger crusties out with the air compressor it fires right up. Probably first fire in 30 years.

Tank is dated 3 74 and the case is 4 74.

Ok, if you need photos.

It has fire.

The 425F I have in my trailer might get replaced with this one. That 425F has seen a lot of use. But last month I did use it to bake a pie. It even got the oven up to 450 once. Scorched some paint on it as the oven just does not fit these to good.

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Martinjmpr » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:15 am

Randy, will you be at Walk the Winds? If so, would you consider some kind of hands on "tutorial" for those of us who are just getting into the hobby? I've got a few lanterns I can't seem to get to work and would like to bring one of them up to see if you can help me out - I'm just a little reluctant to start pulling things apart as I really don't know what I'm doing!

On the plus side, I will be bringing at least 2 working lanterns, maybe more if I can fit them into my truck without rising damage (I only have 2 boxes.) Will also bring extra mantles and fuel in case some folks need it. We use Propane for cooking so the white gas is all for my lanterns (although we found out over 4th of July that it makes a good post-rainstorm campfire starter, too!) :lol:
Martin and Liz and our new T@B Clamshell "Livia"

Our old Teardrop "bubbles"
Bubbles version 2.0 build thread!

Our Facebook group:
Colorado Teardroppers and Tiny Trailers Camping Group (FB)

States we've visited with Bubbles and Livia: Image
Martinjmpr
Teardrop Master

Postby Wolffarmer » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:05 pm

Alas I will not be at Walk the Winds this year. I am going to Burning Man the next week. :lol: :lol:

I should have gotten over to your camp last year but I was doing stoves and sort of forgot. :oops: :oops:

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

At last my birthday lantern.

Postby Wolffarmer » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:38 pm

Well last weekend I was looking through the Coleman Collectors Forum and low and behold I see an add from one of our neighbors to the north. One that he is selling is a 242B 9 50!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I could not get a PM off quick enough as I happen to have the cash right now ( probably be singing a different tune in Dec. ). That is my birthday lantern and as those of you that are really into this affliction know are very hard to get that date down here as the US Colemans was stamped B 50. Just not the same thing to have a lantern that could be made from July to Dec. So here it is.

In chatting with the seller found it would only cost a bit more to ship a second lantern so I also bought a 236 from him. It is a 4 60. The big guy on the right. They are setting on my Canadian built Chev Tracker.

They came Saturday and yesterday got out and worked on them. The 242B had some strange sludge in it, not soluble in CF. I bb'ed the crap out of it. Literally. Got most of it out, clean up the pick up tube and stretched the spring a bit. And it fired up. I put on a mica globe that I had ordered the day before the lanterns came up for sale, for a different 242 so it went on this one. I think it give it a different look.

Now the 236......what can I say. it is like a super sized 242. In looking this one over fount was rather clean and the generator looks like it had barely been used. Put it together and it fired right up with a Peerless 24A mantle. It has a made in England globe so the shape is a bit different. I like that 236 a lot. Very nice lantern.

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment