Coleman Keepers Campfire come on in!

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Postby doug hodder » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:49 pm

Nice Quiklites and 500 too Lee.....I don't have a nickel 500, I got a painty. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Wolffarmer » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:55 pm

My 500 is also a painted lady. a B 1953

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Lazybones » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:01 am

doug hodder wrote:Nice Quiklites and 500 too Lee.....I don't have a nickel 500, I got a painty. Doug

Thanks Doug! I do like my Quick-lites. They make a nice hiss.
Your picture is impressive! I will have to get mine together and take one like it. Well; not like it. But; what I have. lol

I bought that 500 about four years ago. Today was the first time I lit it.
All it took was a new cap gasket and fuel!
Is it true? Is it necessary? Is it kind? Ask yourself these simple questions every time you are in doubt about any action.
Lazybones
500 Club

Postby doug hodder » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:12 am

So....scooters got in the way huh? That's OK Lee...thing is...now that you are more interested in the gas pressure stuff...you gotta bring some....We need to see if we can get a big load lit up at the Dam this year.

I'd like to get a weekend that I didn't have to do so much "house" stuff and fire them all up...they're all upstairs now though and those stairs are deadly when hauling stuff up and down them. However...after I take a pic...I'll have another load in a month or 2 that need to be added to the pic....it's a never ending battle. On some of the older stuff...you don't just pour the fuel out of them...it needs to be siphoned...and I got like 12 of those. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby DragonFire » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:50 am

better view of a 500 stove? How do you like that model, Lee? I like that I can put a bigger pan on it. I was concerned about that..

Nice pictures!

Can't wait til I can post some of my own!
'79 Grasshopper
Coleman Keepers 200a Gang
DragonFire
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:27 am

Dragonfire

A few days ago I fired up my 500 to fry some eggs. Found the cast iron pan wobbled a bit on it. Used the frying pan to pound down the support wires a bit. Not much wobble now.

:lol: :lol:

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby DragonFire » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:40 am

just looked thru ebay at the Coleman stoves to get an idea of what was made and what would work for me. I really like the 500 design. The 502 seems unstable unless you just use a coffee pot or something. I want something I can fry bacon on if I want to.

I need to figure out a way to learn what is out there so I have a plan as to exactly the models I want. It looks like Coleman collectable books are all out of print. I'm not even stuck on Coleman, but there is a lot of it out there. I would not turn up my nose at another brand lantern!

I'm going to wait it out on the 70's propane stove. If I don't get it, then it wasn't meant to be. If the guy caves and lets me have it at a reduced price, then you will see my coffee pot on it in camp.

Meanwhile, I hope to find a 500 at a yard sale or flea market.
'79 Grasshopper
DragonFire
Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:46 am

I've fabbed up a grate that bolts to the top of a 500 to hold a very large skillet....don't know where it is now...buried in my computer. It does work well for a 12" skillet for chicken and bacon for larger crowds. I did it since those type of foods gunked up the regular suitcase stoves.

Just thinking...Denios would be a great outing for many of us in the area to meet up and get to know each other at.....After all....Kirk has the wagon to haul all our finds in.....Just thinking....Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Lazybones » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:47 am

doug hodder wrote:So....scooters got in the way huh? That's OK Lee...thing is...now that you are more interested in the gas pressure stuff...you gotta bring some....We need to see if we can get a big load lit up at the Dam this year. Doug

If I get back from the race in time I will bring mine. We can make it another Nor Cal meet. May be a "Coleman Secret Clique" Campout.

But; that's only if I can get all the scooters out of the way to get to my coleman stuff. :lol:
Is it true? Is it necessary? Is it kind? Ask yourself these simple questions every time you are in doubt about any action.
Lazybones
500 Club

Postby Lazybones » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:52 am

doug hodder wrote:Just thinking...Denios would be a great outing for many of us in the area to meet up and get to know each other at.....After all....Kirk has the wagon to haul all our finds in.....Just thinking....Doug

I would possibly drive over for that. The only problem is we would have to set up ground rules on who gets the coleman.
Maybe first to see it get first right of refusal. Or first to touch it gets it. :twisted:
Lazybones
500 Club

Postby doug hodder » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:57 am

here's my modified grate...bolts to the top of the stove's existing grate with a couple of screws/ fender washers and a wing nut....

For prices on camping stuff....this time of year might be a good time to be hunting...at least for those that are regular shops....not so much for the seasonal vendors. Doug
Last edited by doug hodder on Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby doug hodder » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:00 am

don't know about the rules Lee...I've seen you operate...hard to keep up with that cat! Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby DragonFire » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:08 am

Well, I'm just looking for the 500 stove. That is a sure thing, so I have dibs on those. maybe we should call what we are looking for, and I mean seriously looking for, then we can figure out who gets what after that. I only like some pretty specific things...I just get hung up in the 'Coleman Rescue' idea...

So: 500, 5418 stoves for me. If you guys see a lantern you think would be good for me but you have some already, then fine. Otherwise I'll try to keep my blinders on and go for those items.

Nice job on the stove, Doug! I like that piece you fabbed...that would help keep the CI on the burner!!

And yeah, Lee is lucky. Everyone knows it. Watch out for him!!
'79 Grasshopper
DragonFire
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:51 am

There is one big flaw in the 500/500a stoves. ( In my opinion ) That is that the burner is exposed so much of the heat can be blown away in any kind of breeze. A wind shield is just about a must on this stove. That is where the 502 stove shines. The flame is housed in a nice little bowl. I have used mine with the license plate wins shield, helped a little but I still did not think much of it.

Just my opinionated thoughts.

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:57 am

yeah...but those thoughts are well thunk out Randy...It's true...I think that Jeremy did up a shield on one of his....Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

PreviousNext

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment