Build thread -

viewtopic.php?t=45307&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180

Check out my Pictures -

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... 0QQtppZZ24
campmaster-k
Lifetime member

Re: The Scooter Cannonball Run

Postby DragonFire » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:37 pm

Looks like Lee is off celebrating with some MEXICAN food (thank goodness!!) and hopefully will post soon...what a week for him. As far as I've heard, he won, handicap or no. He won. There is the bickering going on about the Ninja engine being a cheat, but it's just misunderstanding of the stated rules, which I have read, and ignorance. Handicap or no, everyone was trying for second place with Lee and his 'frankenscoot' in the race. Nobody came close to winning it all, except the man himself.

I am in awe of what he just did. The bike was basically untested, he only put 51 or so miles on it before he shipped it out..glitches always happen...but he found a temp fix and outsmarted them and won. He just put the scooter world on it's ear.

For most, the party is over after tonight and maybe homecoming tomorrow. That's gotta be a bummer..others who don't ride, or don't ride scooters, don't really get it in the every day world. We have watched him here, some (probably most) actually know him, some ride but not scoots, so we know it's not as simple as it sounds. A lot of you built your tears...he built his scoot, hopped on an untested bike, and rode it across country in some pretty extreme heat. With the dang thing overheating. He figured out what caused it, couldn't fix it until home, and made due. He won anyway.

The celebration will continue at the Dam.I cannot even imagine what all went into making his win possible. Riding a scooter for hundreds of miles is a feat in itself..they have small tires, unlike motorcycles. They are different machines..and he built his. Basically from scratch. He deserves a great homecoming from his friends and fellow campers. I know I'm biased because I'm in the 'scooter world'..but think about it...he just bet his life on an untested scooter he built himself. And he won the whole enchilada...overheating issue be 'danged'!

Congrats Lee!
'79 Grasshopper
Coleman Keepers 200a Gang
DragonFire
Donating Member

Postby grant whipp » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:55 pm

Congrats to Lee ... :applause: :thumbsup: :applause: :thumbsup: :applause: ...!

A spectacular effort by one really terrific guy! When he first started talking to us about this event, I knew he had what it would take to win it!

Can't wait to hear the stories, Lee! Now ... get some rest ... you've got another Dam event to get to, and continue the celebration!

CHEERS!
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby donn-donna » Tue May 01, 2012 1:31 pm

:thumbsup: :applause: :wine: WAY TO GO LEE!!! WE ARE ALREADY AT THE DAM AND LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING ALL THE STORIES ABOUT YOUR GREAT RIDE. CROSSING THAT FINISH LINE MUST HAVE BEEN A REAL RUSH.
Teardrop hugs from Donna & Donn
donn-donna
Teardrop Builder

Postby mvperini » Tue May 01, 2012 8:37 pm

I hope the weather holds for you guys , we wanted to go but work got in the way :x have a great time and we will share a drink with all of you :beer:

Mike and zellie

1947 Kenskill teardrop kamper 4X10>
1951 Boles Areo 16ft Canned Ham>
1956 Roadmaster 20ft> Restored
1959 airstream 18ft restoration complete
1953 Pontiac house car
mvperini
500 Club

Postby Lazybones » Wed May 02, 2012 12:39 pm

I want to thank everyone for cheering me on! :thumbsup:

I had a blast and am super happy my scooter made it the 2,646 mile of the official route. I didn't take many pictures as I just didn't have time.

I'm looking forward to the Dam Gathering and hanging out with my teardrop family!

Lee
Is it true? Is it necessary? Is it kind? Ask yourself these simple questions every time you are in doubt about any action.
Lazybones
500 Club

Postby DragonFire » Wed May 02, 2012 10:57 pm

see you tomorrow...you know what I'm driving and what's following..might as well have a neon sign!!

Can't wait to hear all the cool stories!!
'79 Grasshopper
Coleman Keepers 200a Gang
DragonFire
Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Mon May 07, 2012 12:40 am

Lee, fresh from his cross country winning ride in the Cannonball scooter run, brought his ride to the Dam Gathering. It was great to hear some of his stories, as he's a great story teller around a campfire. Lee and his ride got a lot of attention and it was well deserved! I was especially honored to be the first one outside of him to take a ride on it. It's the quickest steering of any bike I've ever been on, but was great to take it for a spin and get some idea of maybe how it was for him even if it was just in the campground. Sorry Dean Bessom....you missed out on riding "cupcake" Doug

doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby logman7777 » Mon May 28, 2012 10:20 pm

Quoting Brock Yates from the original Cannonball Sea to Shining sea rally..."Its not what you got..its how you use it.." Kudos on the win! :applause:
Coleman Keepers 200A Gang
Green Lantern Corpsmen
High Wide and Handsome Probationary Member
Happy Camping!! -Andy
logman7777
500 Club

Postby morrisw.conklin » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:19 am

Very nice work and thx for the great pics!
If That's a Teardrop, Then Cry Me a River
morrisw.conklin
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment