I am in the canvas tent club!!!

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Re: I am in the canvas tent club!!!

Postby logman7777 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:01 am

When I FeeBayed some of my smaller BSA tents the shipping was always a limiting factor for bidding since almost every bidder thought it was an inflated number (Canvas is HEAVY). Be sure to include shipping weight in your description.
Coleman Keepers 200A Gang
Green Lantern Corpsmen
High Wide and Handsome Probationary Member
Happy Camping!! -Andy
logman7777
500 Club

Postby Campingnewbie » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:19 am

I will see what I can do as far as pictures of the poles, but I can just say that they consist of two poles together with a metal sliding lock on them. I also will respectfully decline your offer...LOL...I live in Montana and its getting close to hunting season and I'm fairly confident I can get about $150 for it as is...I will keep you informed as to what I get for it if I sell it. :)
Campingnewbie
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Gage » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:57 pm

halfdome, Danny wrote: Now someone will be pulling out a cotton sleeping bag to complete the memory, achoo, achoo, achoo.
I'm thankful they don't use those materials any more. :D Danny[/b][/i][/color]

Would you believe I still have two Coleman sleeping bags from the early 50's that my brother and I had when we were in scouts. :thinking:
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:03 pm

Nancy and I first camped in one of the Orange ones and our first trip was Death Vally. Got stuck near the site of one of the old ghost towns and had to hike out and caught a ride with a couple of prospectors.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby logman7777 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:14 pm

Goes to show ya that even non lantern Coleman stuff was up for the challenge back in the day..

I still have 2 Korean War Era Mummy bags my Dad gave me that are still in great shape. My question was how could you sleep in a 10 degree bag when its 80 degrees and 90 percent humidity outside overnight?? Pretty sure they weren't issued in theater..LOL :R
Green Lantern Corpsmen
Happy Camping!! -Andy
logman7777
500 Club

Postby Techguy » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:48 pm

I just used cotton sleeping bags during our Labor Day weekend trip to Tahoe. I used them inside my tent seeing as how I don't have a trailer anymore... much less a TD. I took two tents and came home with one. The other tent, bought in the early 90's had several rips and the zipper for the main door pulled apart everyday during our trip. I ended up closing the door with clothes pins. As I was struggling to get the poles out of the tent, my wife said "Why are you struggling with that? Let's just leave it here." So, being obedient and tired of dealing with the problem child tent, it went into the bin.

Now I really need a TD to replace the dead tent instead of the three other tens we didn't bring with us. :lol:
Techguy
Teardrop Advisor

Postby logman7777 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:01 pm

Shame you arent on the East Coast.. Alot of smaller Pop Up campers seem to go cheap/ free this time of year. Camp in it till you are ready to make a TD on the frame..
Green Lantern Corpsmen
Happy Camping!! -Andy
logman7777
500 Club

Postby Techguy » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:37 pm

Andy... I just sold my PUP... I owned a 1998 Coleman Westlake with double King beds, full galley, heater, water heater, toilet and shower. It had not been used in 2 years and the roof was sagging and delaminating and I wasn't in the mood to fix it. It had been sagging and delaminating for several years.

DW and I would be happier with something smaller. TD or Standie are likely suspects. I love the idea of the rear galley on the TD and the ability to have nearly instant kitchen/food prep areas for tailgating or other events. Also DW is now 10 and able to sleep in her own tent with a buddy.

We decided this weekend, sleeping on the ground...not fun.

I just looked... there are 24 listings in craigslist with a "pop-up" for sale. 3 listings with "teardrop"... but one is a water heater, one is a dealer selling the T@B, the third is "Mark" looking to build me one.
Techguy
Teardrop Advisor

Postby logman7777 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:06 pm

Yup that was a big Pop Up.. Can see your want for a Teardrop or similar..

I was just thinkin/postin out loud about a Pop Up camper since a good portion of people on this site use em to make their creations.
Green Lantern Corpsmen
Happy Camping!! -Andy
logman7777
500 Club

Postby CliffinGA » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:46 pm

Several of us are camper rich thou dirt poor :lol: , I've got the first tear I picked up 2 yrs ago and our 3yr old Palomino pop up besides thetear I'm building! We're debating on selling the pop up for a newer trailer under 16ft due to my niece's and nephew want to go camping with us and trips with friends who don't camp because we can fit more people in it but mostly when just us we take a tear as our "kids" are the four legged variety.

Cliff :thumbsup:
In God we trust, shoot the rest and he will sort out!

My Build:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42628
CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby logman7777 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:51 pm

I was at one time too..

Had 2 Scotty Sportsmans at the same time.. A 1968 and a 75.. One went when I divorced and the other went when I desperately needed $$..

Fortunately money isnt as much of an issue now but time is.. :D
Green Lantern Corpsmen
Happy Camping!! -Andy
logman7777
500 Club

Postby logman7777 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:56 pm

So who has a cool canvas tent other than us?
Green Lantern Corpsmen
Happy Camping!! -Andy
logman7777
500 Club

Previous

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment