Difference between a model 4m and a Canadian 4m?

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Difference between a model 4m and a Canadian 4m?

Postby TRP » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:43 pm

Hello,

I'm new around these parts and recently purchased a Canada made 4M. I don't know anything about these stoves, but picked this one up to go with my Benroy, once I get her finished. Is there a difference between the Canadian made 4M vs the standard 4M?

Anything I should know a'boot this Canadian model 4M?

Thanks
Ted
TRP
Silver Donating Member

Re: Difference between a model 4m and a Canadian 4m?

Postby High Desert » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:55 pm

the 4M was only made in Canada, never in the US. Roughly the equivalent of the US model 425. And like the 425 it had a few incarnations along the way. The 4M is considered by many to be the best stove Coleman Canada ever produced. You made a great find, not easy to find them south of the 49th!
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Postby TRP » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:12 am

Hey Shawn,

Thanks for the info. I picked up two similar vintage stoves from the same guy. The 4M pictured above and a 3 burner unit. Both work fine. The 3 burner will need to be repainted as it's looking a little beat up. No dents, just a lot of scrapes and scuffs, and a few different paint jobs. I purchased the pair for $60.00. Not sure if I overpaid or what, but I figure I couldn't get two new stoves for that price. :)

Are there 'official' Coleman Green, Red, and Copper paint codes? Is there a far off chance that these come in rattle can?

I need to remind myself - one project at a time. One at a time. ;)

Thanks again for the info!

Ted
TRP
Silver Donating Member

Postby High Desert » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:20 am

Ted, Krylon and Rustoleum both make a few shades of greens in rattle cans that are good matches. The shades of green changed over time so there are choices. The hunter greens are usually quite close. I think I have 4 or 5 different shades to choose from out in the garage depending on the vintage. They seemed to get darker as time progressed. Same thing goes for the reds, they varied with the vintage. Testers makes a copper that many like for the tanks, I've yet to try one myself.

And you can't even buy a new 3 burner now, they've been discontinued. Everyone needs a 3 burner 8)

Good luck on the one at a time thing, I seem to have issues with that :lol:
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Postby TRP » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:34 am

Here are the photos of the 3 burner stove:

I don't know a lot about the two stoves, as a I purchased them just from what you see in the photos I saw on Craigslist. Being up in Tahoe for the week I couldn't run home to purchase them. I called the seller on the phone and arranged to purchase the stoves yesterday and pick them up sometime next week. It turns out the seller was the same guy who sold me some 1 year old Hop plants a few years back. Having dealt with him in the past, I knew I could trust him.

So there you have it, two stoves and an original Benroy, all off Craigs list - for $310.00 - in under a week.

:wine: :beer:

Happy 4th of July everyone!
TRP
Silver Donating Member

Postby Flash » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:29 pm

4M stoves are possibly the best built stoves in my opinion.
Heavy, but built well.
Flash
Captain Coleman

Postby TRP » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:53 am

I can't wait to get started on restoring the 'red' stove. I think I'm going to leave the 4m as it is for now. I've been so distracted working on the trailer that I have not even thought about the stoves. Soon... soon..

T
TRP
Silver Donating Member

Postby TRP » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:14 pm

I just scored a decent 425 that will match the 4M. :) $15.00!

The new 425, is just your run of the mill 425. No letter designation after the '425'. Same copper tank as the 4m, and all that. Should be a nice way to round out the collection. I'm all full up on stoves now. No more room for another one. :)

Ted
TRP
Silver Donating Member

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment