First Coleman Lamp - a 228D?

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

First Coleman Lamp - a 228D?

Postby GuitarPhotog » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:08 pm

My GF and I had a garage sale at her place this weekend. About mid-day, a neighbor came over and brought a bunch of stuff for us to sell. When we asked how much he wanted for it, he said "it's all free - I just want to get rid of it."

Among the free stuff was a lantern I believe to be a 228D. It's a good match for the one on Marsh's site in the '46-60 category.

It had most of the globe when I got it, but from what I could see, there was nothing printed on the glass. But it was in several large pieces so some might have been missing.

I looked at Old Town Coleman to figure out the date code, but I find only one stamped number on the bottom beyond the numerous patent numbers. I have circled it in this photo.

The fount is nickel-plated brass, and the pump is held in by the usual wire clip (I think, I can't unscrew it yet).

Any suggestions regarding the date of this lantern would be welcome. It would be really nice if it turned out to be a late-40's as it would match the vintage of my trailer.

Thanks for the help

<Chas>
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Re: First Coleman Lamp - a 228D?

Postby Woodbutcher » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:44 am

Great deal, I like free! The big hats are cool lanterns, add the nickel font and you have a nice lantern. What was the one number you can make out on the bottom?
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:56 am

Yup sure looks like a 228 to me. But without more info, its possible that it could be either a 228B or a a 228D. I'm in the process of cleaning up a 228D right now. Had to find a replacement frame since a few welds were busted.

Interesting that there's only a "2" on the bottom. Does it have anything stamped on that rusty base rest (collar)? If the answer is no, then you most likely have a 228B.

The base rest (collar) on a 228D will be stamped "Coleman MODEL 228D"... like this...

If you do have a 228B, then it was made sometime 1932-1942. The 228D's were made in 1947-1951
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby GuitarPhotog » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:59 am

I don't see any stamping on the collar. It's very rusty, but I've looked all around it and found nothing. But, I'll look more closely as I disassemble it.

@Woodbutcher, the number is circled in red in the photo of the bottom. It's the only number other than the patent numbers, that I can find.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:01 am

GuitarPhotog wrote:I don't see any stamping on the collar. It's very rusty, but I've looked all around it and found nothing. But, I'll look more closely as I disassemble it.

Give it a nice long vinegar bath, and then hit it with some #0000 steel wool. Might have to do this a few times, but it works well.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby GuitarPhotog » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:05 am

Woodbutcher wrote:Great deal, I like free! The big hats are cool lanterns, add the nickel font and you have a nice lantern. What was the one number you can make out on the bottom?

It's a "2"

<Chas>
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby starleen2 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:34 pm

GuitarPhotog wrote:I don't see any stamping on the collar. It's very rusty, but I've looked all around it and found nothing. But, I'll look more closely as I disassemble it.

@Woodbutcher, the number is circled in red in the photo of the bottom. It's the only number other than the patent numbers, that I can find.

<Chas>

Once you get it apart - you can readily tell if it's a 228 B the valve is VERY different in shape and size. Also the air mixing tube is in two pieces where it attaches to the valve. The earlier "B"s had 220B or 228B stamped on the bottom of the fount. Also - most of the early stuff did not have the clip on type of pump.

absolutsnwbrdr wrote:

Give it a nice long vinegar bath, and then hit it with some #0000 steel wool. Might have to do this a few times, but it works well.

FYI - the vinegar bath is only for steel parts - it will take off the nickle if left in a strong solution for too long. For the fount, a soapy solution and good scrubbing with stainless steel wool (not regular) will remove any rust without scratching the fount. Then polish it up!

more details on how to identify a 220B found here (at bottom of the page)
http://tgmarsh.faculty.noctrl.edu/lante ... tpre31.htm
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby campmaster-k » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:41 pm

There is also bronze steel wool which will leave even less scratches. Demand it at your local paint or hardware store!
-Kirk

>TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB

>CEO Coleman Recovery Inc.

>Nor Cal Camping Pinewood Racing Team

Build thread -

viewtopic.php?t=45307&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180

Check out my Pictures -

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... 0QQtppZZ24
campmaster-k
Lifetime member

Postby Wolffarmer » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:57 pm

If the pump is held in with the wire clip it is an E or a D that some one has removed the two tiny screws holding the pump in and replaced with the clip. The model B and Mil Spec have pumps that screw in. And probably anything before the Model D. I only have B BX Milspecs, D E and F models. Nothing earlier and it seem there is some controversy if there ever was a real Model C or those where just BX in a box labeled Model C.
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby GuitarPhotog » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:19 pm

Wolffarmer wrote:If the pump is held in with the wire clip it is an E or a D that some one has removed the two tiny screws holding the pump in and replaced with the clip. The model B and Mil Spec have pumps that screw in. And probably anything before the Model D. I only have B BX Milspecs, D E and F models. Nothing earlier and it seem there is some controversy if there ever was a real Model C or those where just BX in a box labeled Model C.

Looking more like a "B" every day. The pump screws into the fount. I haven't had time to do much disassembly yet. I'll get back at it in mid-August, but probably not before.

<Chas>
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby Kevin A » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:56 pm

Looks like a 228B to me, does the bale have cotter pins holding it in the frame?
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby GuitarPhotog » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:37 am

Kevin A wrote:Looks like a 228B to me, does the bale have cotter pins holding it in the frame?

Yes, the bale is held to the frame with tiny cotter pins (I have only one, the other is lost).

<Chas>
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment