Old Coleman cooler parts

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Re: Old Coleman cooler parts

Postby Toytaco2 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:37 am

Thanks Cliff, I just now saw this post.

A quick review looks like the lid and insert for my cooler are not available. However, I'm going to go back through the info later when I have more time and see what I can find.

Mike
Toytaco2
500 Club

Postby Techguy » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:04 pm

Looks like I need to do some cooler repairs myself. I was packing for camp this weekend and planned on using my plastic coolers and it was too small. Time to drag out a ladder and get down the green steel-belted cooler. I knew the tan one I rescued from the dump was missing the drain cap so I went for the green one... come to find out, it is also missing the drain plug/cap. :thumbdown:

Time to get model numbers and do some hunting.

As for the camping... I took the green one without a plug and kept that end higher. It still leaked but that meant my food wasn't drowning.
Techguy
Teardrop Advisor

Postby CliffinGA » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:26 pm

Tech take a baggie that has the double seals and put some water or some thing squishy Inuit and pull part thru the plug hole. Amazingly it should seal pretty well.

Cliff
In God we trust, shoot the rest and he will sort out!

My Build:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42628
CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Techguy » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:22 am

Great idea... A couple days late. We had a great weekend. It was the first time tent camping as a family, DD is 10. She took a friend that had never been camping family style. Both girls have been to Girl Scout camp this summer but it was a first for them to go some place without any structured or planned activies. We ended up doing a little creek walking, hiking, walking across a small dam and swimming in an alpine lake.

We had a pop-up camper until about 2 weeks ago. I am hoping the DW is interested in a tear drop, she keeps looking at folding tent trailers and Airstream Bambi's.
Techguy
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KCStudly » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:45 pm

Whittle one end of a wine bottle cork small enough to fit into your cordless drill or small bench top drill press; turn it on and hit the other end of the cork with a sanding block.

Custom fit cork to cooler...on the inside. That way it is less likely to fall out or get lost. Frosty dip to pull the plug, and not exactly restoration quality, but functional and thrifty.

If you want to keep it on the outside you could even go crazy and screw a screw eye into the big end and attach it to the handle of the cooler with a thin piece of nylon twine.

Just a thought. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Techguy » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:09 am

I think I will pony up the $5 for the replacement part. The green cooler is a 1992 model. I just noticed how much the new ones are going for $110-$160+ depending on size and finish. To me, it was just my old cooler that worked well.

I guess I should be real glad about the brown one I "picked up". I was helping my dad take some tree trimmings to the dump and the brown Coleman steel belted cooler was sitting on top of the "pile". I dumped my load of tree trimmings, swept out the bed of the truck and tossed the cooler into my truck like it was mine. Based on the name on the cooler (a family's name) I think I even know the family and I haven't lived in that town for over 20 years and the population in that town is about 4 times what it was back then.
Techguy
Teardrop Advisor

Previous

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment