Coleman stove "issue"

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Coleman stove "issue"

Postby Hillmann » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:14 am

I have a Coleman 2 burner stove and I may or may not have an issue with it, this is the only one I have ever used so it may be working like it should,

So the problem(as I see it) is, when I was using both burners (tank was about 3/4 full) I had to pump the tank up every 5 minutes or so. I had to pump it up 5 times to cook breakfast on it. I don't think that it is leaking because I can shut it off and leave it overnight and when I take the cap off in the morning there is still quite a bit of pressure in the tank.

So do thees stoves require being pumped that often or is there a problem with mine?

Like I said this is the first pressure stove I ever used but I am used to lanterns only needing to be pumped up every couple hours when the tank is full and more often as the tank gets lower.
Hillmann
Teardrop Master

Re: Coleman stove "issue"

Postby campmaster-k » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:05 pm

Is the stove new or old? If it has some age to it your symptoms tell me that you may have a leaky fuel cap. When the tank is 3/4 as you described, there is only a small space of air to compress. When this pressure is high enough in the small space it can push out around a stiff gasket. Once the pressure goes down a bit from use or leaking the gasket can then seal again leaving the pressure for you in the morning.

Also the pump and or check valve can be faulty. You may be pumping but no pressure may be building as a result.

I would check and oil the leather in your pump first. See it it fixes the problem.

They do need pumping durring use but not as much as you have described.
-Kirk

>TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB

>CEO Coleman Recovery Inc.

>Nor Cal Camping Pinewood Racing Team

Build thread -

viewtopic.php?t=45307&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180

Check out my Pictures -

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... 0QQtppZZ24
campmaster-k
Lifetime member

Postby Hillmann » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:09 pm

It's and older stove. I will try swapping the cap from a lantern and see what happens.
Hillmann
Teardrop Master

Postby Mark72 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:57 pm

Also don't forget to turn the air valve handle back down after the main burner has warmed up a bit.

Mark
ImageImage
Mark72
Donating Member

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment