coleman goodies

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

coleman goodies

Postby oth47 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:43 pm

Found a Coleman 425f,11/92 last week for 5 bux..it leaked fuel behind the burner and when I got to handling it the end of the fuel tube broke off in my hand.Dang it. Found another 425f today for 13 bux from 3/81 and it smells like the fuel's been in it since it was new.I sucked out what I could with a 60cc syringe and a piece of tubing..how do these tanks get drained and cleaned?
oth47
Teardrop Advisor

Re: coleman goodies

Postby campmaster-k » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:40 pm

Oh grasshopper so much to learn. Read on grasshopper it is all here it has all been done before.
-Kirk

>TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB

>CEO Coleman Recovery Inc.

>Nor Cal Camping Pinewood Racing Team

Build thread -

viewtopic.php?t=45307&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180

Check out my Pictures -

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... 0QQtppZZ24
campmaster-k
Lifetime member

Postby oth47 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:20 am

I've looked and read,haven't found much.Looks like duct tape won't be much help here.Guess it's time to fire up the compressor..
oth47
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Loader » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:53 am

Take a visit over to the Coleman Collectors Forum on OldColemanParts.com many of us visit both sites. CCF has entire sections dedicated to lantern and stove rebuilds.

Good luck with your cleanup, sounds like you got some good deals.
Earl & Kerry

"Loader"

Blue Yonder Build Thread - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42611

ImageImage
Loader
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:22 pm

If the fuel smells. someone has put auto gas in it and left it. Old coleman fuel smells like coleman fuel. Just suck out what you can. If it still pumps up and the generator is still open just pump it up and let it squirt out. Put some coleman fuel in. About 25% full shake it up and fire it up and burn that out. Do it again. I did this with a Mil Spec lantern and it didn't smell to bad after a while. I am convinced coleman fuel does not go bad in a sealed container. At least not for several decades. I have burned some in a stove I had setting around for 25 years. No problems.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby oth47 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:31 pm

Wolffarmer wrote:If the fuel smells. someone has put auto gas in it and left it. Old coleman fuel smells like coleman fuel. Just suck out what you can. If it still pumps up and the generator is still open just pump it up and let it squirt out. Put some coleman fuel in. About 25% full shake it up and fire it up and burn that out. Do it again. I did this with a Mil Spec lantern and it didn't smell to bad after a while. I am convinced coleman fuel does not go bad in a sealed container. At least not for several decades. I have burned some in a stove I had setting around for 25 years. No problems.

Randy

I guess even a blind pig finds an acorn once in a while,I've had it burning all day a few ounces at a time with fresh fuel.It had the old paint smell when I first got it.Need a generator for the other one..
oth47
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Wolffarmer » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:32 pm

Cool beans

I have a 425 some letter made in 1983, that I bought in the late 80's at the local pawn shop. It was new never fired. I have put a whole lot of fuel through it since then and it is the stove that lives in the TD. I have never replaced or worked on the generator. Have only had to replace the pump as the neoprene pump did not last.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment