1923 Model 1?

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

1923 Model 1?

Postby TRP » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:38 pm

Hey Gang,

I came across a 1923 Coleman Model 1 stove/oven on Craigslist the other day. I had never seen one of these stoves before. According to what I read online, they are the earliest model camp stove produced by Coleman. Having never seen one before and based on their age, I assume they are rare-ish. What's a decent price to pay for a complete 'average' 'original' Model 1?

The stove & oven were complete and in relatively good shape for it's age. The guy wanted $150.00 for it. :thinking:

Not sure what it was worth, but it got me to wonder, how does a person find a fair price for an item like this? Are these Model 1's that rare that it would command such a price?

Thanks
Ted
TRP
Silver Donating Member

Re: 1923 Model 1?

Postby Lazybones » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:30 pm

If it truely is a model 1 and in good condition it is probably worth the asking price.
Is it true? Is it necessary? Is it kind? Ask yourself these simple questions every time you are in doubt about any action.
Lazybones
500 Club

Postby TRP » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:12 pm

Hello,

Thanks for the reply.

Here are the images from the ad on Craigslist:

98112 98111 98110

I had never seen a Model 1 up close. The seller was near by, so I drove over and checked it out. It looks original to me. The little brass tag is on the front. It's labeled as a model 1. The 'action' to pull the lever and slide the burners into place works great. Not sloppy or fiddly. The tank rotates out of the case and into position without too much resistance. The little fiddly lever (to the right of the burners) with the weight on the end was there and it moved freely. The oven top and front side is there. The oven is removable from the 'lid' and left and right sides. The little tab that holds the entire unit closed is present and it great shape. Both legs are there and not bent up.

The pump worked. When I pumped it, I could hear air hissing out of the thumb screw air valve. I screwed the air valve in to try to see if it would stop hissing. It wouldn't. The key thingie was there, as was the chain, etc.

All that appeared to be missing was the metal oven rack. My guess is that finding that rick would be like finding hens teeth.

It wasn't overly rusty (no pitting, bubbling or holes) - just surface rust on the burner face area. The tank appears to be completely stripped of paint, but it matches the style and size of what I've seen on line. My opinion is that it could be a really nice serviceable stove as is, or an excellent restoration project.

Any other way to tell if this is an original or not? They guy was pretty firm on $150.00.

Ted
TRP
Silver Donating Member

Postby Lazybones » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:20 pm

It looks like the real deal to me. I bet it won't last long on CL. If you want it get it.
Is it true? Is it necessary? Is it kind? Ask yourself these simple questions every time you are in doubt about any action.
Lazybones
500 Club

Postby campmaster-k » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:24 pm

The model 1s I have seen on ebay go for 100-150. Not alot really if you like old camping junk. Its really cool not seen every day and its about the same price as a brand new Coleman white gas stove. You really cant lose. I know I know its not junk it gold.

And you get an oven which is 30-50 buck if you have to buy it separately.
-Kirk

>TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB

>CEO Coleman Recovery Inc.

>Nor Cal Camping Pinewood Racing Team

Build thread -

viewtopic.php?t=45307&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180

Check out my Pictures -

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... 0QQtppZZ24
campmaster-k
Lifetime member

Postby TRP » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:29 pm

Thanks for the advice. Judging by what info I can find (or can't find really...) I'm guessing they are not that common. I imagine it's worth owning for the coolness of owning a vintage stove/oven. I'm just still not sure what I'd do with it. I was just more or less wondering if $150.00 was a fair price for a stove of that vintage. He is also throwing in a 5404 single burner picnic stove with two cans of LP. Can you even get replacements for the 5404 anymore?

I had never fancied myself to be a collector of sorts, but since I started to rebuild this tear drop, I've managed to amass 3 lanterns and 2 stoves. At what point do you quit denying it and embrace the sickness?

This isn't looking good for my wallet!

Thanks again. I'll chew on it for a while and see what I decide.
TRP
Silver Donating Member

Postby campmaster-k » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:58 pm

The answer is no. I have heard of people refilling the cans if they are in good shape. Or adapting to to some new source. I have one of those pic nic stoves and I am still trying to adapt it somehow.
-Kirk

>TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB

>CEO Coleman Recovery Inc.

>Nor Cal Camping Pinewood Racing Team

Build thread -

viewtopic.php?t=45307&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180

Check out my Pictures -

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... 0QQtppZZ24
campmaster-k
Lifetime member

Postby TRP » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:10 pm

campmaster-k wrote:The answer is no. I have heard of people refilling the cans if they are in good shape. Or adapting to to some new source. I have one of those pic nic stoves and I am still trying to adapt it somehow.

Thanks. That's kind of what I assumed. If I picked up the big black stove, I just don't know what I'd do with it 5404, especially if the cans are so hard to come by. I'd be afraid to use it. It's less of a temptation when you realize there isn't a lot of 'use value' there. It's basically 150.00 for a Model 1 in original condition.

I'll keep thinking about the Model 1. Maybe by the time I decide, someone else will have already purchased it. That way I won't have to think about it any longer.

Is there a place where I can learn more about the Model 1 stove? Does it use white gas just like the others? Any special lighting instructions?

:thinking:

T
TRP
Silver Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:38 pm

I paid 80 for mine and it was in much worse shape than what you have found. It did restore up quite well and operates just great. It is a different type of stove to light up. It has what they call the "hot blast". It uses regular white gas....dribble some in the pre-heat cup...light it up...when it starts to boil the fuel a bit...crank the valve and it starts to "blast" a flame off at an angle. Once preheated...pull the lever out and that pulls the burner into the operating position. Light up the burners once it's in the operating position and pre-heated. That stove also appears to be an early '23 since it has the air bleeder on the left end of the tank. Restored...they can look like this but it's not set up with the oven, just the wings. I too am missing the oven rack for it. They were different on the models after this... Doug

Just my opinion, but a stove like that shouldn't be a daily user. Either kept as is and made to operate or restored. It's not a real user friendly stove and can flip out the uninitiated operator.

doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby TRP » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:46 pm

Wow. That's gorgeous. Nice work. $80.00 and yours was in worse shape than the one here locally?... Humm...

So, the consensus is that 150.00 is a fair/decent price. Okay then! I'll swing by and see if the seller wants to deal a bit. :twisted:

I assume the air screw should 'seal' the tank when it's screwed all the way in? This one didn't. If I pumped the pump, I could hear air hissss out of that screw.

Doug - If I manage to get this sucker, will you be around to help walk me through any questions I have? ;)

Thanks again gang. I really feel like the three of you helped me make an informed decision.

:thumbsup:

Ted
TRP
Silver Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:53 pm

If you get it and don't want to clown around with it...I'll pay your buy price +25$ (he's on the high side of fair in my opinion) and you can keep the other stove, or I can put up another stove as partial trade (restored and operating). It's not an easy restoration as you can't unhinge a lot of the oven components. When you look at it...make sure that the grates aren't cracked and the burners aren't burned though. Those could be bargaining points in your favor. Make sure it has the key for the gennie as well. I got into mine at that price, because people were scared of it's condition and I knew I could do it, just more work. Doug

Here's what I started with and the gennie was totally trashed inside. Had to make some new parts.

doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby TRP » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:02 pm

doug hodder wrote:If you get it and don't want to clown around with it...I'll pay your buy price +25$ (he's on the high side of fair in my opinion) and you can keep the other stove, or I can put up another stove as partial trade (restored and operating). It's not an easy restoration as you can't unhinge a lot of the oven components. When you look at it...make sure that the grates aren't cracked and the burners aren't burned though. Those could be bargaining points in your favor. Make sure it has the key for the gennie as well. Doug

Thanks - sounds mighty kind. I'll keep that in mind. It's in pretty decent shape. If I get it, I may just use it as it is. I better not get too far ahead of myself - I still have to get it.

The burners looked great. Just dirty. The circular finned thingies looked to be in great shape too. There was a key on a chain. Is that the key you are referring to?

Man - that's an amazing transformation. Nice work!!

T
TRP
Silver Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:07 pm

PS....make sure the original badging is till attached to the front under the fuel tank. That's a biggie! Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Lazybones » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:24 pm

So; Did you get it??
Lazybones
500 Club

Postby TRP » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:27 pm

Hey Gang,

To make a long story, very short: He wasn't going to budge off of $150.00. I tried to talk him down a bit, but he wasn't having it. He was sure he could get more for it. I doubt he could have, but it was his stove and it was his way or no way.

I had not seen a Model 1 before and the information on them is so hard to come by, If I wanted one, now is the time to buy it. So I did. :)

Ad you can see, it's not in too bad of shape for it's age:
98200 98201 98202 98203
98204 98205 98206 98207
98208 98210 98211 98212

I added some fuel to the pre-burner tub, pumped it up, lit the fuel in the bowl and gave it a shot. Once the fuel in the little tub started to boil, I slid the lever and moved the burners into position. The main burner lit right away, but it was pretty weak. The secondary burner wouldn't light at all. I tried fiddling with the lever with the knob (weight?) on one end, but that didn't do much. Turning the key all the way didn't have much impact.

Once I get the Benroy all done I'll turn my attention to this ole girl. See if a cleaning will do the trick.

Any suggestions? I'm all ears.

Thanks for checking back in. I'm happy to share in the excitement of my latest find.
Ted
TRP
Silver Donating Member

Next

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment