200A - What would cause?...

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

200A - What would cause?...

Postby TRP » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:09 pm

Hey Gang,

I'm new to the white gas scene. I don't know a lot about them or how to troubleshoot them.I have a '65 Coleman 200A lantern that will only burn for a couple of minutes before it starts to sputter and dim out. It pumps up and holds okay and will light just fine, but it only stays burning for a few minutes.

What would cause this? Is there a place on the board here where I can find this info quickly? I tried searching, but couldn't find the correct text string to return the right thread.

Thanks,
Ted
TRP
Silver Donating Member

Re: 200A - What would cause?...

Postby starleen2 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:19 pm

sounds like your generator is getting plugged up - maybe give it a good cleaning or replace it
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby TRP » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:33 pm

Is there a place where a new enthusiast can learn how to clean their generator?

/me runs off to search...

Thanks,
Ted
TRP
Silver Donating Member

Postby kzhorse » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:10 pm

If it keeps presure the generator is cloging up,If it looses presure fast the Fuel/Air tube is stuck open letting all the presure out.

Scott
kzhorse
Teardrop Master

Postby Woodbutcher » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:00 pm

Ted, have you tried rotating the tip cleaner when it starts to dim? If it helps momentarily you may have a dirty tank. The first thing I do when I try to get an old lantern running is check the condition of the tank. If it has fuel in it I pour it into a plastic cup with a paper towel over the top. This will catch any rust or crud that has collected. If it pours clean and smells right I reuse it. If there is lots or rust it can be clogging the generator. Carb cleaner will help with cleaning the generator.

you might get some help here. http://www.oldtowncoleman.com/tech/re2lantb.htm

Also while I have the burner cage off with just the generator still attached I pump the lantern and open the fuel knob and watch to see how the fuel sprays out. If you get a solid stream that will go 3-4 feet with out sputtering the lantern should run well when put back together.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Zollinger » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:13 pm

Any luck getting it to run yet? Something else to try is, when you fire it up and it starts to sputter....flip the lantern upside down if it stays lit and starts to run better that means that the fuel and air tube is getting plugged. Also don't forget to stretch the fuel and air tube spring slightly before putting it back together. Another little known trick is to test fire it without mantles for a few minutes to make sure that it works. I don't use it without mantles, just test it. I guess that I'm cheap because I HATE to put on fresh mantles and find out that something else is wrong with it and have to dismantle it again.
Dawn
Zollinger
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby TRP » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:57 am

Hey Gang,

Thanks for the replies! I've been pretty focused on my Son's 6th birthday party (which was this past weekend) and also trying to get my trailer sealed up tight before an impromptu meet and greet on Treasure Island, Ca in two weeks. I did get a new generator from oldcolemanparts.com. I put it in this weekend and fired it up. The lantern didn't want to light at first, then it lit but it was really sooty. I pumped it a bunch more times and it started to burn really well. Naturally I didn't have 5 minutes to wait and see if it was going to burn out. I'll try to get some more time to run it this week.

What would cause it to run so sooty at first? Anyway - we'll see if I can get it going again this week.

Thanks again,
Ted
TRP
Silver Donating Member

Postby TRP » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:31 pm

I think I found the issue. I was pumping it up in the garage and I could hear a faint "psssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssst" - turns out the cap is not holding pressure. :) I need to order up a handful of new seals.

While I'm at it, maybe I'll order up a red globe. Or maybe a green one. ;)

I'll keep you posted.

Ted
TRP
Silver Donating Member

Postby campmaster-k » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:52 am

TRP wrote:Hey Gang,

Thanks for the replies! I've been pretty focused on my Son's 6th birthday party (which was this past weekend) and also trying to get my trailer sealed up tight before an impromptu meet and greet on Treasure Island, Ca in two weeks. I did get a new generator from oldcolemanparts.com. I put it in this weekend and fired it up. The lantern didn't want to light at first, then it lit but it was really sooty. I pumped it a bunch more times and it started to burn really well. Naturally I didn't have 5 minutes to wait and see if it was going to burn out. I'll try to get some more time to run it this week.

What would cause it to run so sooty at first? Anyway - we'll see if I can get it going again this week.

Thanks again,
Ted

Even with a brand new generator 200s develop personalities. The fluid passages are micro . They develop an arterial sclerosis if you will. A little rust and a little blade of grass. The best thing is to run it, it keeps them clean inside and help prevent buildup of junk. As you have noticed after a few burns some lanterns with "snap out of it". Some wont and thats the fun and challenge in it.
-Kirk

>TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB

>CEO Coleman Recovery Inc.

>Nor Cal Camping Pinewood Racing Team

Build thread -

viewtopic.php?t=45307&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180

Check out my Pictures -

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... 0QQtppZZ24
campmaster-k
Lifetime member

Postby suckerpunched » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:53 pm

Stumbled on this post trying to find out what's up with my 1953 200a. Does the same thing, so am gonna try the solutions that have been posted....found it at a swap meet a couple years ago,,,but have not put much time into it,,,,,but another winter project...gotta bring it to life as it's the same age I am...
Thanks for the info,,
TC
If you see my harley on a trailer,,,,call the police cause it's being stolen...
suckerpunched
Teardrop Master

Postby TRP » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:27 am

I'm pretty sure it's the gasket on the fuel cap. Or should I say, the lack of a gasket. :)

I just need to order a handful of them from oldcolemanparts.com

Best of luck,
Ted
TRP
Silver Donating Member

Postby TRP » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:17 pm

Just to close the loop on this one -
I replaced the gaskets on all four of my lanterns. This solved the issue on the 200a. I still have an issue with a '51 228e that one light. I can hear the hisssss from the gas, but it won't light. I may need to disassemble it and figure out what's going on.

Ted
TRP
Silver Donating Member

Postby Mukilteo » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:17 pm

suckerpunched wrote:Stumbled on this post trying to find out what's up with my 1953 200a. Does the same thing, so am gonna try the solutions that have been posted....found it at a swap meet a couple years ago,,,but have not put much time into it,,,,,but another winter project...gotta bring it to life as it's the same age I am...
Thanks for the info,,
TC

Get up and running yet?
Eric
Mukilteo
Donating Member

Postby TRP » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:04 pm

The 200a? Oh yeah. It runs like a top now that I replaced the cap gasket. It's this other dual mantel one that I picked up for free that wont' fire up. I'll dig into it in a day or so. Although - now that I have three working lanterns and nearly 10 gallons of beer on tap, I should really start working on the trailer again. I really need to finish up the cabinetry.

Thanks for checking in!

Ted
TRP
Silver Donating Member

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment