Newbie fount cleaning question.

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Newbie fount cleaning question.

Postby Steviebear » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:59 pm

Ok guys, you've added another convert to the club. I just bought my first lantern, a 200a at a garage sale for 5 bucks, first of many, I'm sure. Anyway, it's in pretty rough shape, rusty, missing paint, etc and not suitable for restoration, so I just plan on getting it running and using it while hunting for its prettier sister:) The problem I have is the rust in the tank. There doesn't seem to be any in the fuel, just on the bottom of the tank, but when I try to light it, it only stays lit for a minute or so and then goes out. I take it apart, clean the generator tip, and it does it again. I'm pretty sure it's just getting clogged when it runs. Is there a quick and easy way to clean the tank and remove the surface rust without doing a serious restoration on this lantern? I was thinking nuts and bolts with a cleaning agent of some sort (works on motorcycle gas tanks) and then rinsing until clean. What do you think and what's the best cleaner for a fount?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated,
Steve
Last edited by Steviebear on Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steviebear
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Newbie fount cleaning question.

Postby KCStudly » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:18 pm

BB's and shooka shooka. :lol:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby oth47 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:08 pm

I used a product called Rusteco on a tractor gas tank; shook it 2 or 3 times a day when I thought of it and the gas tank looked like a new one.It cost a hundred bux a gallon,but it can be strained and reused over and over.I'm sure there's cheaper ways,but don't know if you can get cheap,quick and easy all at the same time.
oth47
Teardrop Advisor

Postby campmaster-k » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:02 am

Just buy your self a small box of bbs (dont shoot your eye out). Dump a lot , say 2000 -2500 and shake with water for about 10 min. No need to use anything but water. It will be rust free. Dump out the milkshake and rinse with alcohol ( because lacquer thinner will melt your paint if it spills on the outside). Blow it dry with compressed air and it will be crumb and rust free. You may need a small magnet to remove the last few bbs. 8)

The alcohol will insure that the found dries completely and quickly .

I save my bbs and use them over and over. Spread them out on a rag or paper towels so they can dry then put them back in the container they came in, they will rust a little but it does not matter.
-Kirk

>TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB

>CEO Coleman Recovery Inc.

>Nor Cal Camping Pinewood Racing Team

Build thread -

viewtopic.php?t=45307&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180

Check out my Pictures -

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... 0QQtppZZ24
campmaster-k
Lifetime member

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment