What do I have?

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

What do I have?

Postby lrdudley » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:26 am

This is my first acquisition and if it becomes an obsession I only have this forum to blame.
The Coleman logo with the sun in the background is engraved on the side. Embossed on the collar above the pump is "237" and "Use Generator No 237 - 299".
Since it's raining here in Indiana today, I guess I won't feel to guilty spending the rest of the day seaching the archives for info on bringing my new toy back to life.
OBTW - It cost me $2

Larry
Larry
Indianapolis
lrdudley
Teardrop Inspector

Re: What do I have?

Postby campmaster-k » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:22 pm

What you have there is a real problem Larry. Hurry throw it out before it takes over your life. Next thing you know you will be bumming quarters in front of a fleamarket somewhere so you can get "Just one more".

Really is a nice find for 2 bucks welcome to the mania. 8)
-Kirk

>TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB

>CEO Coleman Recovery Inc.

>Nor Cal Camping Pinewood Racing Team

Build thread -

viewtopic.php?t=45307&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180

Check out my Pictures -

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... 0QQtppZZ24
campmaster-k
Lifetime member

Postby doug hodder » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:21 pm

Great deal for 2$! Check the stickies up in the top portion of this section for links to lantern teardown/rebuild help. It's just like taking anything else apart and putting it back together. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby logman7777 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:15 pm

As Kirk said you now have a problem but the embossed number should be your model ##..

Try not to accumulate too many problems :R
Coleman Keepers 200A Gang
Green Lantern Corpsmen
High Wide and Handsome Probationary Member
Happy Camping!! -Andy
logman7777
500 Club

Postby Rock » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:08 am

237 500 candlepower kerosene only model. What an awesome find, especially for $2. Easily worth 25 times that. The correct glass is bulged like a 200A but only larger - specific to the 500 CP models 236/7.

Be careful with the rebuild instructions as they are for gas models only I believe - there are some differences.

This is kerosene only. It has to be pre-heated with alcohol in the little copper cup inside before lighting. If you try to light it like a gas model you're likely looking at a fireball.

These things are beasts. Any run-of-the-mill Coleman like a 200A, 220, 228 is rated at basically 300 candle power.

What a great find - I just found my first one as well. Fix her up, light her up and enjoy - but running this at most campgrounds is likely to get you run out as it is crazy bright. Great for boon docking however.

Eric
Rock
Teardrop Master

Postby lrdudley » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:41 pm

Thanks for the info Eric. Got it all cleaned up over the weekend. I don't think it has seen much use. The alcohol cup looks almost new. Need to order a new (correct) globe and some mantels so I can try it out.
I noticed your from Fremont, OH. We lived in Fremont for eight or nine years, many , many years ago. On South Street about a half block from Spiegel Grove.

Larry
Larry
Indianapolis
lrdudley
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Rock » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:21 am

That's awesome Larry. Be sure to post a pic when you're finished. I got very lucky as mine as very lightly used with the original (and very rare) green rising sun globe. So if I run mine much I want to get a new globe for it and box the original up.

I actually live outside of town but have a Fremont address. That's a real nice part of town by the president's house.

Enjoy,

Eric
Rock
Teardrop Master

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment