flea market find

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

flea market find

Postby oth47 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:58 pm

I hit the flea market this morning,found an old family friend selling a bunch of stuff.He had 4 Coleman lanterns,2 of which I brought home with me; a 220j marked 1-76 and a 220k marked 5-73.15 bux each.May be too much but I know he needs the money.One of them pumps up,the other does not.I put some oil in the pump,maybe tomorrow will show results.Any tips on lighting them? I've never used or owned a Coleman lantern.
oth47
Teardrop Advisor

Re: flea market find

Postby Woodbutcher » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:38 pm

Congrats on the new lantern ......the first thing I do is check the tank. If it is empty and not crusty from old rust you are usually in good shape. Next pull the pump and oil (soak)the leather with neatsfoot oil or similar. Put it back together and see if the font hold pressure. The fill cap gaskets often get brittle and won't hold pressure. If that checks out. Pump up the lantern. Open the gas valve knob and listen for a hissing sound. If you have that you should be in good shape. Fill the font with fresh Coleman fuel and tie on a new set of mantles. I pre light them and wait till they turn white. Let them cool and then follow the lighting instructions on the lantern. Do this outside! Have fun, you now have the bug that there is no known cure.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:06 pm

Here's a tip on the pump leather....pull the pump from the body. It's just a clip on the top cap on those models....then check the leather....is it still sorta flexible? If it's leather and flexible, bend it back like an umbrella and dip it in oil. Those little oil holes are kinda only for when it's in good condition and not in need of major maintenance. I've got a cup of oil that all my pumps end up in soaking for a couple of days. If it's like a rock...replace it. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby oth47 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:35 pm

Kind of funny how you can go thru life and never use a Coleman lantern..I grew up with kerosene lamps and lanterns and the first Coleman lantern I saw was one in Indiana years ago when we lived there.I remember the mantles turning to powder in my father's hands but I don't remember him putting new mantles on. And when he got it lit I never saw such a light..I was expecting the dim glow of kerosene,not the glow of the sun.It seemed to light up the whole house.'Course,I was 7 at the time..
oth47
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment