homemade coleman lantern case

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

homemade coleman lantern case

Postby lancew » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:17 pm

Just curious if any of you coleman users ever made your own case. if so, what did you use and how did you make it. i tired of breaking those high cost glass globes. i have one that is cracked top to bottom but i refuse to buy a new one. i have been pondering about using a 5 gallon bucket and spray foam. before i do this, i thought i would go out of my comfort and ask folks here. thank you for any input.
lancew
Teardrop Advisor

Re: homemade coleman lantern case

Postby campmaster-k » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:12 pm

I have seen it all on here. From super nice museum quality boxes (Doug) to a cut off cardboard tube used for cement work. Even just a cardboard box works really good. Your idea of the foam in a bucket would work, big foot print however.
-Kirk

>TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB

>CEO Coleman Recovery Inc.

>Nor Cal Camping Pinewood Racing Team

Build thread -

viewtopic.php?t=45307&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180

Check out my Pictures -

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... 0QQtppZZ24
campmaster-k
Lifetime member

Postby lancew » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:44 pm

big foot print ? im assuming carbon, if so. i will hold my thought on that comment lol
lancew
Teardrop Advisor

Postby wagondude » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:54 pm

I think he was talking about the amount of space the bucket would take up. Get some ridgid foam (the pink or blue stuff) and build a box just the size you need. Cover it with paint and canvas (check the Foamie section for more details). You should be able to get the foam as construction scraps. If you dont have an old canvas drop cloth laying around, an old sheet would work just as well. Or your spray foam idea inside a cardboard box and the box could be waterproofed with a 50/50 mix of mineral spirits and polyurethane (or just paint and cloth). Lots of ways to do it. Best to make it take the least amount of space that you can.
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby campmaster-k » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:10 pm

Good Idea bill. :thumbsup:
-Kirk

>TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB

>CEO Coleman Recovery Inc.

>Nor Cal Camping Pinewood Racing Team

Build thread -

viewtopic.php?t=45307&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180

Check out my Pictures -

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... 0QQtppZZ24
campmaster-k
Lifetime member

Postby doug hodder » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:04 am

I've found that if you build a box so that the sides are protected and the bottom of the lantern is captured with wood stops so that it can't move around (felt pads in the bottom), and then put a piece of foam rubber in the top so that when you close it it compresses, it keeps the lantern from moving about in the box. My cases for the 242's are only 7x7x14 and the 220's are 8x8x16. Much smaller than a bucket and stores easier since it's flat sides. I'm not a big fan of the plastic vacuum formed Coleman cases. I've yet to break a globe in one. Just 1/4" ply and some 3/4" material on the corners. I figure if I've got a premium 70+year old lantern...it deserves a nice storage box. Doug

doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby KCStudly » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:34 am

Very nice work there, Doug. Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby lancew » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:21 pm

I've found that if you build a box so that the sides are protected and the bottom of the lantern is captured with wood stops so that it can't move around (felt pads in the bottom), and then put a piece of foam rubber in the top so that when you close it it compresses, it keeps the lantern from moving about in the box. My cases for the 242's are only 7x7x14 and the 220's are 8x8x16. Much smaller than a bucket and stores easier since it's flat sides. I'm not a big fan of the plastic vacuum formed Coleman cases. I've yet to break a globe in one. Just 1/4" ply and some 3/4" material on the corners. I figure if I've got a premium 70+year old lantern...it deserves a nice storage box. Doug

Thank you Doug. Those lantern boxes are awesome. i obviously over thought the whole thing. off to the shop to make me couple.
lancew
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Woodbutcher » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:38 pm

Not beautiful but cheap and easy......

Just a concrete form tube cut into 3 pieces with some pink styrofoam for a bottom. Cut a second ring to keep the lantern from moving around. About 3 bucks a piece. Probably not what people thought I would make I bet!
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:43 pm

Very thrifty, Woodbutcher, but I sure would like to see what you could do if you put your mind to it! :thumbsup:
Last edited by KCStudly on Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Hillmann » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:24 pm

doug hodder wrote:

I am pretty sure we need more pictures of your boxes, those are pretty sweet.
Hillmann
Teardrop Master

Postby jeporter25 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:53 pm

This is not exactly home made but here's what i got. I found that a double wide milk crate holds a 425, a can of fuel. and 2 200as. I did add a bottle opener to the outside of it and its pretty prefect for camping.

go box.jpg
go box.jpg (83.43 KiB) Viewed 11151 times
jeporter25
Teardrop Master

Postby PresTx82 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:28 pm

I've been away from the forum for awhile and just thought I'd pop my head in again. I'm glad to see that the Coleman Collecting area is very active.

Doug, those cases are excellent. Do you have some pics on the inside? Love to see them.
Mark
El Paso, Texas
PresTx82
500 Club

Postby doug hodder » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:21 am

Here's an inside pic. I cut 2 pieces of 1/4" ply in an arc to sort of capture the base, then padded the bottom with some felt. This one is for a 242. I just ripped a piece of 45 degree material to back up the joint. On the first one I did...I did a box joint. Not such a clean thing to do on 1/4" ply...too much tear out on it. I also padded the sides where the vent might contact the sides with felt as well. I just brush painted out the interior with a decent Coleman green paint. Another easy thing to do is to screw in a small binder clip into the lid to hold spare mantles. Piece of foam rubber holds the lantern secure when it closes.

doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby matthewh » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:09 pm

Woodbutcher, I decided to adopt your concrete tube idea... with one add-on. At Lowes, If you walk over to the plumbing section where they sell the galvanized duct work, you can find the IMPERIAL 8-in Dia Galvanized Cap Fitting (Item #: 31883 | Model #: GVL0111) for $5.25. It fits perfectly (and snugly). Total project about $11.00. I like this inexpensive solution for my old, Sears lantern.
matthewh
Teardrop Inspector

Next

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment