Question about possible lantern purchase

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Question about possible lantern purchase

Postby BillZ » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:04 pm

I found this lantern below for sale on craigslist and I want to know what I need to ask and if the asking price is fair.
It's a single Mantle 200a, dated 3/55. He is asking $40. Ad also says " Original green letter Pyrex globe. Tank holds pressure, good hiss when valve is turned. " I emailed him and asked about the condition of the inside of the tank. He replied that it has about 50% light surface rust but nothing bad. He also added that there is no bad rust or pitting on the fill spout.

I'm not looking to collect lanterns or resell for a profit... Just want a good useable antique lantern.

Any advice is appreciated!

BillZ
The 300 Club

Re: Question about possible lantern purchase

Postby Woodbutcher » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:12 pm

Well I have never paid that much for a 200A, but a lot has to do with the area you live in. That is a popular lantern so it may be fair where you live. For that price I would want to know it runs well first. If not you may need a fill cap gasket and a new generator. If that is the case add another 15 bucks to the cost. If they are unwilling to light it I would offer 20-25 bucks using the possible parts it will need. Good luck. You might have better luck looking for a 220 model, green 2 mantle. There were more of them and the prices are more in the 5 -20 dollar price range.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:33 pm

Thats better condition than my '55. Better than your typical yard sale find too. Probably not much needed to get it going (if anything). The Green Sunrise globes will often retail for $15-30 by themselves. I'd go for it. Like Woodbutcher said, make a first offer of $25 or so, and go from there. Love my single-mantles!
Last edited by absolutsnwbrdr on Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Mukilteo » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:34 pm

Here, thats what they go for.
Paid $45 for mine.
Eric
Mukilteo
Donating Member

Postby BillZ » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:35 pm

Woodbutcher wrote:Well I have never paid that much for a 200A, but a lot has to do with the area you live in. That is a popular lantern so it may be fair where you live. For that price I would want to know it runs well first. If not you may need a fill cap gasket and a new generator. If that is the case add another 15 bucks to the cost. If they are unwilling to light it I would offer 20-25 bucks using the possible parts it will need. Good luck. You might have better luck looking for a 220 model, green 2 mantle. There were more of them and the prices are more in the 5 -20 dollar price range.

Thanks for the quick reply Woodbutcher,

I'm not terribly concerned about price, just don't want to get ripped off.

I have been looking for a lantern I like for several months now and this is the first that caught my eye. I like the single mantle and the color. It's also in the age range that I wanted.
BillZ
The 300 Club

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:37 pm

Bill, if you get it and need any help gettin her lit up, I'm just on the other side of the Mason-Dixon :thumbsup:
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:58 pm

One of my favorite users is a 286 single mantle and a 290 and 290A double mantles bright as all get out and easy to use. I gots all kinds of older lanterns and they are sure a lot of fun and all but. The new ones I won't feel to bad about if they get damaged and/or stolen.

But back to that 200A. I have one of that same vintage and it is a good burner. $40 is not bad if it does not need more than a clean up and filler gasket and if you don't pay extra for shipping. ( count in your gos if you go get it ). Green letter globe is a plus, for a collector. It is rare the leather pump cup ever has to be replaced. Just oil it up. I use 3 in 1 oil. They say Neats Foot Oil is the best. I say it doesn't make much difference as long as you oil it. Only pump leather I have ever changed was in a lantern about 80 years old. The original was still working, occasionally.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby BillZ » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:58 am

Thanks for the help guys,

I talked to the seller last night on the phone. He apparently buys vintage camping equipment and fixes them up for resale. He told me the 200a only needed a cleanup and filler gasket, which he performed before putting it up for sale. He said it looked like it had hardly ever been used.
it's in good working order and he will fire it up for me.
I will probably be out in his area today and hope to stop by to check out his stuff. He has a few stoves and other lanterns for sale.
BillZ
The 300 Club

Postby Wolffarmer » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:03 am

Sounds like it could be a good user then. And of course he would know what they go for on Fleebay. And you might be able to get a stove. 425s are a good small 2 burner suitcase stove and the 413 is larger. Those would be a great TD stove. I have been using a 1983 425 E or F, since about 1988 and I have a whole mess of others in my accumulation.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment