Trouble lighting lantern

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Trouble lighting lantern

Postby Hillmann » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:19 pm

I bought an old coleman lantern (guessing it is from the 50's but don't have it with me at the moment to find out for sure) I didn't need it but it appeared to never have been lit, came with a boat mounting attachment and the reflector attachment so I couldn't pass it up.

When it is warm it lights right up but when it is cold it is very difficult to light. When it is below freezing to light it I have to let it run long enough for liquid fuel to start dripping from the mantles then light it(the whole thing goes up in flames for a few minutes until all the dripped fuel burns) or I have to take the top and globe off and hold the match right to the mantle.

Once it is lit it seems to burn pretty well although it does smell a bit more than my more modern ones.

So can anyone suggest a way to make it light easier? (I have similar problems with my newer ones but not until they get below zero, this one becomes a problem when it gets into the high 30's)
Hillmann
Teardrop Master

Re: Trouble lighting lantern

Postby rainjer » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:40 pm

Is it a gas or kerosene lantern? I can make a difference.

This is the way I light all of my gas lanterns.
1- Put fuel in tank
2- Pump up 20-25 times
3- crack valve 1/4 turn for 2-3 seconds and close
4- if the lantern has a tip cleaner, spin it a couple times. (down to light)
4- pre-heat generator with a mini torch or gas BBQ lighter (aim the flame towad the mantle)
5- once the geneorator pre-heats the matle should start to glow, crack the valve open no more than 1/4 turn
6- If the lantern flares up, close the valve, if not open it slowly after 30-45 seconds of running.

Sometime you will have to fiddle with the tip cleaner and fin the "sweet spot". I have on that will only run at between 4 and 5 o'clock.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby Zollinger » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:08 pm

I also noticed that when the lantern is cold they do take a little longer to warm up and run right. Preheating the generator seems to work for me.
Dawn
Zollinger
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Hillmann » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:31 am

I assume, in order to preheat the generator you have to take the top and globe off?
Hillmann
Teardrop Master

Postby Zollinger » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:40 am

Hillmann wrote:I assume, in order to preheat the generator you have to take the top and globe off?

Unfortunately yes you have remove the vent and globe. I know it sucks especially when it’s cold and windy. Shh…. Don’t tell my husband but…. I have been known to light it in my trailer with the door wide open and run it outside after I get it lit. You just have to get good at getting the vent and nut on BEFORE it gets too hot to handle. Don’t ask how I know this. :FNP
Dawn
Zollinger
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Hillmann » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:57 am

The problem with having to take the lantern apart to light it is I usually light them when it is dark and cold and neither of those conditions make it easy to take apart and reassemble lanterns without losing parts. I may have to replace the top nut with a wing nut chained to the handle of the lantern to prevent it from getting lost.
Hillmann
Teardrop Master

Postby rainjer » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:20 pm

Hillmann wrote:I assume, in order to preheat the generator you have to take the top and globe off?

Nope. I have a orange Harbor Freight torch I use. I just point he flame up thru the lighting hole.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment