Couldn't help myself - two new fleabay lanterns.

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Couldn't help myself - two new fleabay lanterns.

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:40 am

Hey guys, its been a while since I've given in to my addiction. But I just couldn't help myself any longer. The temptation was too great. :cry: :cry:

I've bought two lanterns from fleabay in the last week. I blame the stagnant winter air and lack of campfire time. Hows that saying go? Idle hands do the work of the devil?

First up is 1956 200A with green sunrise globe, which arrived in nicer condition than it appeared on the auction. Only "problem" is that it was missing the 2/3 of the 3-piece cap. The 'outer cap' and the screw have gone on their own journey somewhere else. Funny (or scary) thing is, the lantern arrived with only the 'inner cap' in place, but still full of fuel. Not a drop had spilled, and it took a pair of pliers to get the inner cap off. But the inside of the thing is SPOTLESS! So does anyone have an extra 3-piece cap (or just the 'outer' piece & screw) laying around that they'd be willing to trade for some U.S dollars?

The other is a 1946 220C. The pictures in the auction make it look to be a decent lantern, with probably just the standard tear-down and clean being required. Its got a green fount, with a yellow instruction decal. Are there other differences from the 220D, aside from the green fount and yellow decal? (this one hasn't arrived yet for me to examine it for myself)

Sorry for the horrible pictures. Both are the pictures from the auctions. I already have lil' red stripped down, but I can take a pic of the beast tonight. Hopefully the 220C gets here soon.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Re: Couldn't help myself - two new fleabay lanterns.

Postby Mukilteo » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:08 pm

I've replaced all my three piece filler caps with new one piece caps. They are safer.
http://www.oldcolemanparts.com/product.php?productid=116&cat=&page=1
Can't wait to see both of them lit up.
Eric
Mukilteo
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:49 am

I was looking at just getting the new style, but I really like the look of the 3-piece caps. Just gotta be careful and use some common sense with them. Only my 3 "newer" (~1965+) have the once piece caps.

Still waiting on the 220C to get here, but I got started on Lil Red. The tank is in really good condition, aside from very rough paint. The frame was pretty rusty though. I've been wanting to do a full resto (not just a teardrown and clean) so I decided that this one would go under the knife (well, paint thinner).

I stripped the paint and chipped away the label, and was left with a bare metal tank. I took some 320 grit sandpaper and "brushed" the entire tank using only vertical strokes. It looks freakin sweet. The only paint I couldn't get removed was the paint in the stamped Coleman sunrise logo, in the date stamp on the bottom, and around the edge on the bottom. This gives it a really cool look though. I'm planning on just clear coating it using Duplicolor Engine Enamel. Here she is as of right now... looks much better in person. My cell phone camera takes pretty crappy pictures in dim lighting. Better pictures will come later.

The red tints around the filler cap hole and the hole on the top are not remnants of paint... its copper brazing. Once I get a few layers of clear coat on, I have a period-correct Coleman label that will go back on in its original location.

Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Zollinger » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:05 pm

I still use the 3 piece caps. I replace the gasket. You just have to be smart about using them and not try to open while the lantern is hot.
Dawn
Zollinger
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Woodbutcher » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:45 pm

Nice lanterns Zach! I keep the 3 piece caps also. I replace the gasket on every lantern I get running just to be safe. The gaskets are only about a buck.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby skline25 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:16 pm

I just picked up a 1956 lantern off of the auction site cannot wait to get it home!
skline25
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Zollinger » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:37 pm

skline25 wrote:I just picked up a 1956 lantern off of the auction site cannot wait to get it home!

Make sure that you post pics. We love the pics.
Dawn
Zollinger
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:32 pm

Got the 200a 99% finished this evening!

Bought a few fillers caps from Fleabay, so now I'm waitin on those to get here, and then it will be ready to fire up.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:42 pm

biziedizie wrote:Looking really good, nice job :D
Can you send it to me 8)

:lol: :lol:

Thanks! I'm definitely happy with the way it turned out!
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:53 pm

biziedizie wrote:So what's a lantern worth like that when it's finished?

How much you're willing to pay for it :thinking: :lol:

But seriously, thats pretty much it... its only worth what someones willing to pay. I used the original "green sunshine" globe that came with it in another one of my older 242C's and just have a cheap "made in china" globe in it now. So that decreased its value. I removed the original finish - so that may have increased or decreased the value, depending on who might be interested in buying it. Other than that, its your average 200A. Might be able to get $30 on ebay. Might get higher, might get lower. Its really a toss up. I plan on using it, so wasn't really too worried about its value.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment