stove tank questions

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

stove tank questions

Postby BillZ » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:28 pm

I am in the middle of getting my KampKook LCS 21 stove in tip-top shape. When I took apart the pump from the tank there are a couple of gaskets that look like they might need replacing. The black one circled on the right is hard. It's the one under the screw cap. Should it be? I soaked it in some oil to see if it would soften up but there was no change. The lighter colored one on the left (sorry, I don't know the terminology) is the one that pushes the gas to make pressure. It is tough and feels like it could break or crumble. Is it possible that these parts are the same as a Coleman stove or will I need to see if I can find original from this make?

I resized the pic in photobucket so it wouldn't be so big but they take a while to get the edited pic synced up with the link. Hopefully it will correct itself soon.

BillZ
The 300 Club

Re: stove tank questions

Postby doug hodder » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:37 am

The black one should be flexible. I've found some O rings that will substitute for it. While not fuel resistant, they will work but then I don't leave the stove full of fuel all the time anyway. On the pump gasket...this pump is smaller in diameter than the Coleman pumps, but I've taken the Coleman leathers and trimmed them down a bit so that they will fit into the pump tube. Worked for me. On a lot of this stuff, you can spend forever searching for just the right gasket or just doctor up one that will work. Doug

PS..take the nut off the bottom of the pump tube...you should have a check valve in there that may need some maintenance.
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby BillZ » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:21 pm

doug hodder wrote:The black one should be flexible. I've found some O rings that will substitute for it. While not fuel resistant, they will work but then I don't leave the stove full of fuel all the time anyway. On the pump gasket...this pump is smaller in diameter than the Coleman pumps, but I've taken the Coleman leathers and trimmed them down a bit so that they will fit into the pump tube. Worked for me. On a lot of this stuff, you can spend forever searching for just the right gasket or just doctor up one that will work. Doug

PS..take the nut off the bottom of the pump tube...you should have a check valve in there that may need some maintenance.

Thanks for the info Doug.
Can the old pump gasket sometimes be restored with a soak in oil?
BillZ
The 300 Club

Postby doug hodder » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:44 pm

Doubtful...once it goes hard, it's gone. Check it out however...many of the older tanks used lead as the seal. A sharp object will scratch it and you can tell if it's lead or not. Sometimes they can be cork also. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby BillZ » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:47 pm

doug hodder wrote:Doubtful...once it goes hard, it's gone. Check it out however...many of the older tanks used lead as the seal. A sharp object will scratch it and you can tell if it's lead or not. Sometimes they can be cork also. Doug

I think it's cork...but It's hard to tell for sure. It's actually more flexible than I thought. When I move the pump, I don't feel any air coming out the other end so it doesn't seem to be making a good seal. I'll remove the nut when I get a chance and see what is going on there.
BillZ
The 300 Club

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment