What stove is this?

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

What stove is this?

Postby davidniebeling » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:29 pm

I picked this stove up last summer at a yard sale. I'm wondering what year it is and if it is worth fixing up. Will it work well if I do fix it up? I've never used a stove like this, just the new onees with the 1# propaine bottles. Thanks for any help you may offer. By the way, I paid $3.00 for it.
104675
104674
User avatar
davidniebeling
Teardrop Advisor
 
Posts: 75
Images: 50
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:35 pm

Re: What stove is this?

Postby KCStudly » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:07 pm

Great stove for a great price!

I'm no expert so I can not identify it on sight, but there should be a number and letter code either near the carry handle or stamped into the bottom.

Report back what you find. If it is anything like the lanterns it will be a 2 digit year and a letter code for the month.

Judging by the shape of the tank, that is an early one and the condition looks decent to me. Nice score. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
User avatar
KCStudly
Donating Member
 
Posts: 8948
Images: 8051
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:18 pm
Location: Southeastern CT, USA

Re: What stove is this?

Postby Wolffarmer » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:02 pm

Looks like a 413C missing the legs and the decal.

Terry"s site

The 413C is way down lower 1/3 of that page.

Not many people miss the legs while using the stove.


Randy

Edit. And it will work very well after a fix up. If the tank is not dirty inside should not take much to get it running. Pull the pump and oil up the leather. Pump up the fount and test the fill cap for leaks. New gaskets are available for the 3 piece cap. You can use a new cap if you just have to get it running but the 3 piece caps are just so cool. Usually that is all it takes to get a stove running.
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
User avatar
Wolffarmer
Donating Member
 
Posts: 4424
Images: 304
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 1:32 pm
Location: Idaho Rupert
Top

Re: What stove is this?

Postby davidniebeling » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:59 pm

KC and Randy, Thanks for the help. Once I knew where to look it was right there. (Any more obvious and it would have shouted it's own name!!!) It is a 413C as you suggested, Randy. I can not find any date on it, however. No date stamps anywhere, and I REALLY looked hard, even on the tank. It is missing the legs and there is one small dent on the bottom, rear. I tried to get the fill cap and the pump off of the tank. NOT HAPPENING!! It's almost like their welded in place. I'm hoping that doesn't mean rust :worship: Next time in the shop I'm going to try a little heat on them to try and loosen them up. Any other suggestions? Also, I have looked at the website about old Coleman parts but I don't remember if they had info on rebuilding the stoves. If not, do you know of any sites to show how to rebuild the stoves? Thanks again for all the help, Dave
User avatar
davidniebeling
Teardrop Advisor
 
Posts: 75
Images: 50
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:35 pm
Top

Re: What stove is this?

Postby davidniebeling » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:09 pm

Here are a couple more pics.

104697

104696
User avatar
davidniebeling
Teardrop Advisor
 
Posts: 75
Images: 50
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:35 pm
Top

Re: What stove is this?

Postby wagondude » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:45 pm

Nice score on the stove. Don't fret about the cap too much. They get put on tight and the rubber gasket turns to glue after 30 or 40 years sealed up. Pad some pliers with a couple of layers of duct tape and you should be able to get it off. A little Liquid Wrench or WD40 will help also.
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
101137
User avatar
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club
 
Posts: 1533
Images: 35
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:41 pm
Location: Land of the Jayhawks
Top

Re: What stove is this?

Postby davidniebeling » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:19 pm

wagondude wrote:Nice score on the stove. Don't fret about the cap too much. They get put on tight and the rubber gasket turns to glue after 30 or 40 years sealed up. Pad some pliers with a couple of layers of duct tape and you should be able to get it off. A little Liquid Wrench or WD40 will help also.

Cool, thanks for the advice. I always start slow and work my way up to more drastic measures! I found the rebuild tutorial on the oldcolemanparts web site. That should help a lot too. I'll keep you all posted but it will probably be a while before I get going on the stove. Gotta finish up my new camper and I only have 4 more weekends and the weather has been suckey. :thumbdown:
User avatar
davidniebeling
Teardrop Advisor
 
Posts: 75
Images: 50
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:35 pm
Top

Re: What stove is this?

Postby Wolffarmer » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:48 am

I checked my supply of stoves and I have 413E F and G models. None older. I have had luck removing tight caps by putting a rag around them and then some good pliers usually gets them moving with no damage. But that has always resulted in a leaking gasket. But that is a nice score on a stove.

Monday last week I got a July 1974 413G that had been used very little. It fired right up after I dumped the old car gas out and rinsed most of the floaties out. Oiled the pump leather and a tank of Coleman fuel it boiled up a mess of water. It didn't like to simmer at first but it is coming round after about a gallon of CF through it. If you use car gas do it outside and then flush it out and burn a bit of CF to get it out of the generator.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
User avatar
Wolffarmer
Donating Member
 
Posts: 4424
Images: 304
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 1:32 pm
Location: Idaho Rupert
Top

Re: What stove is this?

Postby davidniebeling » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:43 am

Wolffarmer wrote:I checked my supply of stoves and I have 413E F and G models. None older. I have had luck removing tight caps by putting a rag around them and then some good pliers usually gets them moving with no damage. But that has always resulted in a leaking gasket. But that is a nice score on a stove.

Monday last week I got a July 1974 413G that had been used very little. It fired right up after I dumped the old car gas out and rinsed most of the floaties out. Oiled the pump leather and a tank of Coleman fuel it boiled up a mess of water. It didn't like to simmer at first but it is coming round after about a gallon of CF through it. If you use car gas do it outside and then flush it out and burn a bit of CF to get it out of the generator.

Randy

Hey Randy, I was looking at the oldcolemanparts site at how to pull everything apart and clean it. I think I could handle it but I'm afraid of damaging parts in the process. Do you think if I used your method (car gas then CF) that it would "clean" it up enough to use it? My thought is to try your way and if it doesn't work then try the "full clean up" method. What do you think? Thanks Dave
User avatar
davidniebeling
Teardrop Advisor
 
Posts: 75
Images: 50
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:35 pm
Top

Re: What stove is this?

Postby Wolffarmer » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:43 am

If there is car gas in it just dump that out. You can tell if there is car gas as it will smell to high heaven. CF will not smell bad. If you shine a light in there and the inside of the tank looks ok then just rinse it out and go from there. I have yet to tear a stove down to get it running good. Of course I do have 3 stoves setting out in the storage room I haven't messed with yet. Those are real doggy looking but it would not surprise me if at least one of those fire up without much trouble.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
User avatar
Wolffarmer
Donating Member
 
Posts: 4424
Images: 304
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 1:32 pm
Location: Idaho Rupert
Top

Re: What stove is this?

Postby eamarquardt » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:48 am

davidniebeling wrote:.......................... Next time in the shop I'm going to try a little heat on them to try and loosen them up...................


I'm not sure what you have in mind when you say "heat" but I wouldn't recommend an open flame. There is a good chance nothing would happen but there is a possibility something could happen. Pad a pair of vice grips, combination pliers, channel-locks, or whatever and just twist it off.

Better safe than sorry.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
User avatar
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member
 
Posts: 3179
Images: 150
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:00 pm
Location: Simi Valley, State of Euphoria (Ca)
Top

Re: What stove is this?

Postby campmaster-k » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:23 pm

davidniebeling wrote:KC and Randy, Thanks for the help. Once I knew where to look it was right there. (Any more obvious and it would have shouted it's own name!!!) It is a 413C as you suggested, Randy. I can not find any date on it, however. No date stamps anywhere, and I REALLY looked hard, even on the tank. It is missing the legs and there is one small dent on the bottom, rear. I tried to get the fill cap and the pump off of the tank. NOT HAPPENING!! It's almost like their welded in place. I'm hoping that doesn't mean rust :worship: Next time in the shop I'm going to try a little heat on them to try and loosen them up. Any other suggestions? Also, I have looked at the website about old Coleman parts but I don't remember if they had info on rebuilding the stoves. If not, do you know of any sites to show how to rebuild the stoves? Thanks again for all the help, Dave


Those tanks dont rust. They are brass or copper. The gas cap may have a lead gasket so it may seem hard and worn out but it maybe just fine. I would not flame the gas cap for the same reason you would not do that to your car. The Coleman junkies call those pipe bomb tanks. :frightened:
-Kirk

>TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB

>CEO Coleman Recovery Inc.

>Nor Cal Camping Pinewood Racing Team


Build thread -

viewtopic.php?t=45307&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180

Check out my Pictures -

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... 0QQtppZZ24
User avatar
campmaster-k
Lifetime member
 
Posts: 3030
Images: 17
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:02 pm
Location: Colusa, California
Top

Re: What stove is this?

Postby campmaster-k » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:35 pm

I do use heat on stuck cap but not flames. I cut up old leather belts coupled with vice grip pliers.
-Kirk

>TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB

>CEO Coleman Recovery Inc.

>Nor Cal Camping Pinewood Racing Team


Build thread -

viewtopic.php?t=45307&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180

Check out my Pictures -

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... 0QQtppZZ24
User avatar
campmaster-k
Lifetime member
 
Posts: 3030
Images: 17
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:02 pm
Location: Colusa, California
Top

Re: What stove is this?

Postby davidniebeling » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:55 pm

campmaster-k wrote:
davidniebeling wrote:KC and Randy, Thanks for the help. Once I knew where to look it was right there. (Any more obvious and it would have shouted it's own name!!!) It is a 413C as you suggested, Randy. I can not find any date on it, however. No date stamps anywhere, and I REALLY looked hard, even on the tank. It is missing the legs and there is one small dent on the bottom, rear. I tried to get the fill cap and the pump off of the tank. NOT HAPPENING!! It's almost like their welded in place. I'm hoping that doesn't mean rust :worship: Next time in the shop I'm going to try a little heat on them to try and loosen them up. Any other suggestions? Also, I have looked at the website about old Coleman parts but I don't remember if they had info on rebuilding the stoves. If not, do you know of any sites to show how to rebuild the stoves? Thanks again for all the help, Dave


Those tanks dont rust. They are brass or copper. The gas cap may have a lead gasket so it may seem hard and worn out but it maybe just fine. I would not flame the gas cap for the same reason you would not do that to your car. The Coleman junkies call those pipe bomb tanks. :frightened:


Thanks for the warning. But I am curious; why do they call them "pipe bomp tanks"? If I get it cleaned up and a new cap, is the tank it's self safe to use or is it an inherantly unsafe tank? Thanks again! Dave
User avatar
davidniebeling
Teardrop Advisor
 
Posts: 75
Images: 50
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:35 pm
Top

Re: What stove is this?

Postby Wolffarmer » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:04 pm

campmaster-k wrote:
Those tanks dont rust. They are brass or copper. The gas cap may have a lead gasket so it may seem hard and worn out but it maybe just fine. I would not flame the gas cap for the same reason you would not do that to your car. The Coleman junkies call those pipe bomb tanks. :frightened:

That stove is to new for the lead seal. It will have the flat washer seal. I call them pipe bomb tanks in order to scare some people away and I might get a stove cheaper. Tank may not rust but you never know what might have crawled in there over the years.
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
User avatar
Wolffarmer
Donating Member
 
Posts: 4424
Images: 304
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 1:32 pm
Location: Idaho Rupert
Top

Next

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest