the coleman lantern tread for colemans and lanterns

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Re: the coleman lantern tread for colemans and lanterns

Postby sabrown82 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:55 pm

I found this.

I love the look of it. No word as to whether it works or not. Seller wants $40. Since I know NOTHING about these kinds of things, I was hoping all of you Coleman fans might be able to give a girl some advice on this lovely piece of lighting equipment!
sabrown82
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Zollinger » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:10 pm

sabrown82 wrote:I found this.

I love the look of it. No word as to whether it works or not. Seller wants $40. Since I know NOTHING about these kinds of things, I was hoping all of you Coleman fans might be able to give a girl some advice on this lovely piece of lighting equipment!

:thumbsup: I love the bighats! Congrats on your find. $40 is a little high, but if it works and you really want it. If rebuilding it I would start here http://www.oldcolemanparts.com/resources/tech.php. We can also help troubleshoot the lantern. Another good resource is the stickys at the top of the vintage camping equipment page. The lanterns are really not that hard to rebuild as long as you have the tools. I would not even try to take out the check valve under the pump because rarely they are a problem unless rusted shut and you need a special tool. Good luck and let us know if you run into a problem.
Dawn
Zollinger
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Wolffarmer » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:36 pm

Looks like a 228C from the late 40's. Looks like the pump is a screw in pump and a painted font. A good lantern. Look inside the font to see if it is rusty. If it hasn't been used in sometime the cap gasket will likely need replacing. Also the pump leather will probably need to be oiled.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Junkboy999 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:07 am

I myself love the Big hats one. If it is online and you have to pay another 17-24 buck shiping, it might not be a good deal, unless it is

(1) needed to fit a slot in your collection.

(2) A birthing day lantern, produced the same Month and year you were born.

(3) you just really want it.

We would need to know the model and date to help an more is the glass globe is an original or a replacement.
But if it is working order and you get it, it probably last another 50 years.
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby sabrown82 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:08 am

The lantern is local, so I wouldn't have to pay shipping fees. Does that make it a better deal? I like it, but not enough to splurge on it if it's overpriced. I'm the kind of person that can hold out until I find one in a better price range.

Here are some additional pictures - not sure if they help at all. I can't make out most of the writing on the bottom.

Thank you for all of the feedback so far!
Last edited by sabrown82 on Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
sabrown82
Teardrop Advisor

Postby sabrown82 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:10 am

Hm...that sticker picture came out really small... going to try to fix it.

:?
sabrown82
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Wolffarmer » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:08 am

Thats a 228C from the mid 1940s, might even be a war year. If the inside of the tank is not rusty and the globe is one with green writing on it $40 is a tad on the high side but not to bad really. Often the only money one has to put in such a lantern is a new cap gasket, ( just plan on replacing that on lanterns more than 25 years old ). I have only replaced a pump leather on one lantern and that was one made in 1927. If the generator is plugged they can often be cleaned out a bit or modified. But a new one is about $12-15. When one really gets into these rebuilding a generator is the next step.

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:22 am

I was just looking on Evilbay and you will probably pay 40 and up for a 228C to your door. The one you are looking at you can see and handle and not worry about if the seller is not showing something. So I would say $40 is about as high as I would go on a local sale. Unless I really need some retail therapy.

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Can I join the Old Coleman club now?

Postby Martinjmpr » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:04 am

Wife Liz was really impressed by the Vintage Coleman display last year at Walk the Winds, Wyoming. :D

She was so impressed that on Wednesday she gave me my "early" Father's Day Gift!

Sorry for the crappy pics, they were taken inside last night. Will try to get some better outdoor, sunny pics.

Anyway, here are the specs: It's a Coleman 242B. Markings on the bottom of the fuel can are 1 - 11, so according to a web site, that means manufacture date was November, 1941 (the antique store told her it was a 1939, so that's pretty darn close!)

I'm hoping to have it done by August because we plan on attending Walk the Winds again this year.

My question is, where do I even start with this? It appears to be intact, although it does have a few small dents in the tank. The brass pump handle is present, as is the glass globe and all the other parts seem to be there. I haven't tried to unscrew the cap for the tank yet, it's pretty tight - maybe some Liquid Wrench or WD 40 would help?

Next I would guess I look to make sure the pump is sealing correctly (it doesn't feel like it is - I can pump the handle in and out with my thumb over the air hole and there's no resistance, which tells me that somewhere there is air getting out or else the pump isn't working.)

Is there a handy guide or web site that can help me get started? I'm anxious to start the restoration so I can get it working!

Also, what kind of polish should I use on the tank and on the handle? Both are pretty dull looking. The globe is in nice condition, almost too nice - any way to find out if it's been replaced?

Thanks in advance!
Martin and Liz and our new T@B Clamshell "Livia"

Our old Teardrop "bubbles"
Bubbles version 2.0 build thread!

Our Facebook group:
Colorado Teardroppers and Tiny Trailers Camping Group (FB)

States we've visited with Bubbles and Livia: Image
Martinjmpr
Teardrop Master

Postby Wolffarmer » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:23 am

Rhu Roo. You got it bad now.

Great looking 242. Mothers Polish to polish the font. Viniger dip for the brass parts. Look inside the tank for rust and crap. Expect to need a new cap gasket. Remove the pump and oil the pump leather. Neats foot oil is the official oil to use but I just use 3 in 1 or sewing machine oil. Many others also use that. Is the check valve rod still there? You should be able to turn the pump knob and tighten up something in there. When you remove the pump there should then be a square shaft brass rod in there. It is easiest to put the pump back in if you remove the rod and slip it into the pump shaft and then replace every thing working the leather into the bore.

You can tell the globe buy the color of the lettering. Red or White is definitely a replacement. The lettering should be green and off the top of my head should have the green sunrise on it. It might be very hard to see as it gets worn off. It takes a #21 mantle. I would use an older coleman mantle or a new peerless of that size.

You are now on the slippery slope.

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:28 am

Oh, here is a link to rebuilding a 200A. They are pretty much the same, use the same generator. The 242 has two air tubes up the sides and made of cast brass, is pretty much the biggest difference.

Coleman rebuild

Soon you to will be mainlining CF

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Junkboy999 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:12 am

sabrown82

40 would be my max I would of payed for that. It looks to be all there. Would be nice to see if the globe is labeled and what color the labeling is ( as Wolffarmer said).
can you talk the person to 35. Ha hahahah :lol:

Martinjmpr

If the fuel cap is too tight and you need a tool to take it off , wrap the cap with a small scrap of leather to protect it from tool marks ( tape of cloth is not thick enough leather works like a charm ). And try not to scratch the tank as well getting the cap off.. like I did on my Burgundy,ocuh. :( I was going to use a piece of cardboard with a hole cut in it and places over the cap to protect the paint, but was in a hurry.
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Zollinger » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:13 am

Ya what Randy said about the 242B. Nice looking lantern! I have one that looked about the same and polished up real nice and shiny. Another thing to note is the fuel cap and hole are smaller than a regular Coleman lantern. I had to find a vintage funnel to fuel my lantern. Good luck! They can seem a little intimating to take apart, but you'll get the hang of it.
Dawn
Zollinger
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Junkboy999 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:56 am

Just making a virtual 200A burgundy for my virtual camper plans.

Man four hours goes by fast. Still need to add the fuel fill area and pump base. I did not have a protractor in the house to measure the angle they go into the tank. My butt is sore so I gonna stop for the night. :?

Any 200a abusers have and of the internal working lay out of a bench you can take pictures of. I need a good quality image of the valve assembly from the side, with a ruler laid out next to it. I’m not brave enough to take apart my own one.

Last edited by Junkboy999 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Zollinger » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:49 am

Junkboy999 wrote:Just making a virtual 200A burgundy for my virtual camper plans.

Man four hours goes by fast. Still need to add the fuel fill area and pump base. I did not have a protractor in the house to measure the angle they go into the tank. My butt is sore so I gonna stop for the night. :?

Any 200a abusers have and of the internal working lay out of a bench you can take pictures of. I need a good quality image of the valve assembly from the side, with a ruler laid out next to it. I’m not brave enough to take apart my own one.

Hey Junkboy you coulda rebuilt a 200A in the time it took you to draw the fount. 8)
Dawn
Zollinger
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment