the coleman lantern tread for colemans and lanterns

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Re: the coleman lantern tread for colemans and lanterns

Postby Wolffarmer » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:23 am

Rhu Roo. You got it bad now.

Great looking 242. Mothers Polish to polish the font. Viniger dip for the brass parts. Look inside the tank for rust and crap. Expect to need a new cap gasket. Remove the pump and oil the pump leather. Neats foot oil is the official oil to use but I just use 3 in 1 or sewing machine oil. Many others also use that. Is the check valve rod still there? You should be able to turn the pump knob and tighten up something in there. When you remove the pump there should then be a square shaft brass rod in there. It is easiest to put the pump back in if you remove the rod and slip it into the pump shaft and then replace every thing working the leather into the bore.

You can tell the globe buy the color of the lettering. Red or White is definitely a replacement. The lettering should be green and off the top of my head should have the green sunrise on it. It might be very hard to see as it gets worn off. It takes a #21 mantle. I would use an older coleman mantle or a new peerless of that size.

You are now on the slippery slope.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:28 am

Oh, here is a link to rebuilding a 200A. They are pretty much the same, use the same generator. The 242 has two air tubes up the sides and made of cast brass, is pretty much the biggest difference.

Coleman rebuild

Soon you to will be mainlining CF

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Junkboy999 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:12 am

sabrown82

40 would be my max I would of payed for that. It looks to be all there. Would be nice to see if the globe is labeled and what color the labeling is ( as Wolffarmer said).
can you talk the person to 35. Ha hahahah :lol:

Martinjmpr

If the fuel cap is too tight and you need a tool to take it off , wrap the cap with a small scrap of leather to protect it from tool marks ( tape of cloth is not thick enough leather works like a charm ). And try not to scratch the tank as well getting the cap off.. like I did on my Burgundy,ocuh. :( I was going to use a piece of cardboard with a hole cut in it and places over the cap to protect the paint, but was in a hurry.
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Zollinger » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:13 am

Ya what Randy said about the 242B. Nice looking lantern! I have one that looked about the same and polished up real nice and shiny. Another thing to note is the fuel cap and hole are smaller than a regular Coleman lantern. I had to find a vintage funnel to fuel my lantern. Good luck! They can seem a little intimating to take apart, but you'll get the hang of it.
Dawn
Zollinger
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Junkboy999 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:56 am

Just making a virtual 200A burgundy for my virtual camper plans.

Man four hours goes by fast. Still need to add the fuel fill area and pump base. I did not have a protractor in the house to measure the angle they go into the tank. My butt is sore so I gonna stop for the night. :?

Any 200a abusers have and of the internal working lay out of a bench you can take pictures of. I need a good quality image of the valve assembly from the side, with a ruler laid out next to it. I’m not brave enough to take apart my own one.

Last edited by Junkboy999 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Zollinger » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:49 am

Junkboy999 wrote:Just making a virtual 200A burgundy for my virtual camper plans.

Man four hours goes by fast. Still need to add the fuel fill area and pump base. I did not have a protractor in the house to measure the angle they go into the tank. My butt is sore so I gonna stop for the night. :?

Any 200a abusers have and of the internal working lay out of a bench you can take pictures of. I need a good quality image of the valve assembly from the side, with a ruler laid out next to it. I’m not brave enough to take apart my own one.

Hey Junkboy you coulda rebuilt a 200A in the time it took you to draw the fount. 8)
Dawn
Zollinger
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Junkboy999 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:31 pm

Ha :lol: haha Ya you don’t know me very well. I plan my projects out so well, that I spent more time planning. Then on the first cut ( or part of the project ) I screw up and now have to compensate on the rest of the project for the first mistake. My moto, Cut twice because you only measured once.

I just screen captures a few good pictures of valve assembly off Flea-Bay so I’m good for a picture.

EDIT Added Pic and Text

A few more hours out of my life. Not too shabby, but I'm not gonna do threads on the ends of the rods. Still need to do the fuel spout, the pump. I used my 200a and it is as close to the actual size shape and scale as I can get it.

Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KCStudly » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:00 pm

Very nice renderings. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Junkboy999 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:46 pm

OK just need to make the dimple around the fuel cap and I’m done with this project. Too bad I do not have an really good way to render this in a camping sean.

Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby wagondude » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:11 pm

You have way too much time on your hands, Terry. That looks great. :thumbsup: I need way more Scetchup practice.
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby slowcowboy » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:32 pm

I need a weekend off work so I can even look at a coleman lantern!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

slow
Plans. there was supposed to be plans to be followed when I built this thing. Opps! AH, gee, tum,tee tum. I think I forgot about the plans 2 years ago. ------Tow vehicles, 1995 ford explore, 1994 ford ranger, 1993 ford F-150, 2009 4x9 Off road teardrop, on harbor freight greatly modified frame.
slowcowboy
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby Wolffarmer » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:55 pm

slowcowboy wrote:I need a weekend off work so I can even look at a coleman lantern!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

slow

Pushing profane got you down? :D
Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Zollinger » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:28 am

Wolffarmer wrote:
slowcowboy wrote:I need a weekend off work so I can even look at a coleman lantern!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

slow

Pushing profane got you down? :D
Randy

Now that I think of it Slow is a TRAITOR! He has gone back to the propane side. :R
Dawn
Zollinger
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby wagondude » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:09 pm

Naw, he still bleeds Coleman fuel. Sometimes you just have to dance with the Devil to get to Heaven.
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby slowcowboy » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:33 am

just when I get my first paycheck folks it will be worth pushing propane instead of pushing hay bales on a semi truck!!!!!!!!!!!!! heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

for some reason the work with propane pays more than the work with hay bales!!!!!!!!!!!!

and the hours are sucks!

but wagen dude is right.

when camping I am still white gas. other than the propane coleman skillet.

I am far to lazy for the old propane lantern

so its even a converted wally world kersone lantern using 12 volt for lights.

and its even 12 volt for heat.

but when I get the fist pay check.

I belive I will officaly retire from pushing hay bales and be really thankfull to God, that I am now pushing propane!!!!!!!!!!!

but belive me there is less bs and less red tape and saftey crap to standing on a deck of a semi truck pushing hay than pushing propane! yikes.

slow
Plans. there was supposed to be plans to be followed when I built this thing. Opps! AH, gee, tum,tee tum. I think I forgot about the plans 2 years ago. ------Tow vehicles, 1995 ford explore, 1994 ford ranger, 1993 ford F-150, 2009 4x9 Off road teardrop, on harbor freight greatly modified frame.
slowcowboy
6000 Club
6000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment