Green Lantern Corpsmen Creed and Membership!!! T-SHIRT!!

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Re: Green Lantern Corpsmen Creed and Membership!!! T-SHIRT!!

Postby SuperShady1 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:33 pm

Junkboy999 wrote:It was HOT out there but we did it. We assembles and stood in formation for an inspection. Needless to say we need a little bit of work.

B - Jan 1940. Tank is rusty, pump leather is rotted, Vent is broken and is in two parts. Suprisely it hold pressure. Generator statue unknown.

C - B-1946. What looked like a good deal turned bust when I leak checked this guy in water. Two crack in the tank. One on both side 180 degrees apart, starting from where the sides of the tank is rolled under and mated with the bottom and run up the side ⅔ inch. It is like some liquid froze in side expanding the brass or a factory defect. All parts on this guy are good so hunting for a new tank. This tank and other parts of old lantern will one day reside on static display on the nightstand of the extra bedroom as a table lamp.

D - B-1948. Tank has light power rust in it and two big flakes of rust. Someone tried to polish it in the past. Not sure if it is Nickel plated or was the paing striped off it and was buffed up. Everything seems to work right so after a good tank cleaning we gonna try lighting her up.

E - Jul 1959. Still need to try removing the some one’s painted initials off the tank but works like a champ.

F - Oct 1969 Another great bruner.

H - Apr 1974. This one is in Unfired condition

J - Jul 1978. This one is in Unfired condition

Ok Men, that is, Fall out!
:lol:

Private Junkboy Look Alive Front and Center!! :thumbsup:

I am very proud to say that you are Leading Loudly Private Junkboy!! :applause:

These Green Lanterns all at attention and from oldest to newest brings a cold tear to my cold ugly face!! :NC

The stories that they could tell would probably scare the wife and the children!!

Very Proud!!

We all need to be PROUD and show all of our Green Lanterns lined up at attention...what meeting? I am supposed to be running a meeting?? :cry:

Okay I promise to take a picture of all my green Lanterns including a new discovery ....THE MIST GREEN LANTERN!!! :? :shock: :?

:shock:

Please everyone be PROUD AND LOUD LIKE PRIVATE JUNKBOY!!!

They say that in the Army the coffee's mighty fine
It looks like muddy water and tastes like turpentine
Chorus:
Oh Lord, I wanna go
But they won't let me go
Oh Lord, I wanna go hoo-hoo-hoooome EH!

They say that in the Army the chow is mighty fine
a chicken jumped off the table and started marking time
Chorus:
Oh Lord, I wanna go
But they won't let me go

They say that in the Army the biscuits are mighty fine
one rolled off the table and killed a friend of mine
Chorus:
Oh Lord, I wanna go
But they won't let me go

They say that in the Army the training's might fine
last night there were ten of us, now there's only nine
Chorus:
Oh Lord, I wanna go
But they won't let me go

They say that in the Army the pay is mighty fine
they give you a hundred dollars and take back ninety-nine
Chorus:
Oh Lord, I wanna go
But they won't let me go
Oh Lord, I wanna go hoo-hoo-hoooome EH
Its a beautiful world we live in
A sweet romantic place
Beautiful people everywhere
The way they show they care
Makes me want to say

Its a beautiful world
Its a beautiful world
Its a beautiful world

For you, for you, for you

Coleman Keepers 200A Gang

Green Lantern Corpsmen
SuperShady1
500 Club

Postby SuperShady1 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:41 pm

Stacie Tamaki wrote:Very pleased to say at the end of the month I will be an active member of this group! :P

Not super vintage, it's a CL-2, but it's green and a lantern. My dad used to be an avid fisherman (steelhead in the Columbia River) and purchased it but never used it. My mom just found it and sent me a picture asking if I wanted it for my trailer. I will pick it up at the end of the month when I go visit them.

Welcome aboard Private Stacie!!

Please take a picture of your Dad's Lantern and post proudly. I am sure there is a story behind the lantern you will need to uncover..why buy a Coleman and then never use it? I am sure there is something he is hiding or maybe the wife hid the lantern or there was a volcano that exploded!!! :thinking: I like the last one the best, maybe Mt Saint Helen's had something to do with the Lantern going AWOL?? :applause:

Reminder to also change your signature to include membership.
A sweet romantic place
Makes me want to say

Its a beautiful world
Its a beautiful world
Its a beautiful world

Green Lantern Corpsmen
SuperShady1
500 Club

Postby SuperShady1 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:43 pm

KCStudly wrote:
Stacie Tamaki wrote:My dad used to be an avid fisherman (steelhead in the Columbia River)

+1. ;)

+2 my dad lived in the tri-cities working on WHOOPS, before that in Olympia, we would go salmon fishing out of Westport!!
A sweet romantic place
Makes me want to say

Its a beautiful world
Its a beautiful world
Its a beautiful world

Green Lantern Corpsmen
SuperShady1
500 Club

Postby SuperShady1 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:47 pm

KCStudly wrote:When we cleaned out my dad's stuff we found dozens of fly rods, antique reels, and literally thousands upon thousands of hand tied flies in all varieties... all sorted neatly in the old style Spice Island Seasoning glass jars, plus several of the aluminum flip case fly holders.

There are more there than I could use in a lifetime; have thought of starting an online business and offering them up, but then they are somewhat sentimental, aren't they?

I have the same dilemma...a good one of collecting my dads gear down in Atlanta. He was not into tying his own...but he always got the best. For my son to enjoy me thinks. :thinking:

Shady
A sweet romantic place
Makes me want to say

Its a beautiful world
Its a beautiful world
Its a beautiful world

Green Lantern Corpsmen
SuperShady1
500 Club

Postby KCStudly » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:55 pm

Spent the summer of 76 and/or 77 in Richland where dad was working on the power plants there. Wonder if they knew each other?

He was a pipe support engineer doing the job shop thing. The job shop was out of Seattle IIRC.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby deleted » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:57 pm

KCStudly wrote: There are more there than I could use in a lifetime; have thought of starting an online business and offering them up, but then they are somewhat sentimental, aren't they?

Exactly. The thought of any of his prized possessions being sold off makes me really sad. Who knows, I may end up with the drift boat someday too :frightened:

SuperShady1 wrote: Reminder to also change your signature to include membership.

Done :thumbsup:

Apparently there is a box but it's in bad shape. And it doesn't look like the lantern was in the box given all of the dust. I also got a smallish blue granite coffee pot from him when I left last week. Also unused. I think he bought these things thinking he would use them but they were too fancy for him. He liked simple things (like a flashlight) best and even better was to McGyver and jerry-rig something together.

deleted
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby deleted » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:00 pm

SuperShady1 wrote:+2 my dad lived in the tri-cities working on WHOOPS, before that in Olympia, we would go salmon fishing out of Westport!!

My dad did some salmon fishing in WA and went to Alaska a few times where they drop you off by plane and come get you a week later. Most of his friends fished for sport so they gave him all or some of their catch to bring home. My mom would smoke all of it and vacuum seal meal sized portions. I'd find boxes of smoked salmon on my porch on a regular basis. I was so spoiled and didn't even know it until after he quit fishing and I went to go buy smoked salmon. It was around $27 a pound. :shock: :lol:
deleted
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Junkboy999 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:42 pm

Shady

I still have 3 Mil Specs to get in inspection order. Two are taken apart and the third need some small things done to it. I wanted to get them all fixed and light befor posting pics.

Stacie

Nice lantern. That should be an adjustable one. Lantern work great for lighting your campsite. Place them away from your camper and the bug will go to the lantern, mostly. BTW That is a great picture in your signature. Your camper in front of the 5 wheel.
:thumbsup:
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby deleted » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:03 pm

If a lantern will keep mosquitos away I need to buy at least 3 more so I can put one 15 feet out from each end of the trailer. It was crazy in MI, WI, and SD. The mosquitos swarmed on me. Fred said he'd never seen them go after anyone the way they came after me, and those were the more docile ones in MI. For every one that landed on him at least ten were biting me. By the time I got to Montana I'd been bitten dozens and dozens of times. WI was the worst! It was like a cartoon with a swarm of bees coming at me but they were mosquitos. The only way to stop them was to explode them. Just smacking them didn't work. I'd smash them and a few seconds later they would rise again and come at me. :shock:

And thanks on the picture Terry. It was one of those photo ops that just happened and I had my phone camera in my pocket.
deleted
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Oldragbaggers » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:07 pm

Stacie Tamaki wrote:I know Randy! The Coleman lanterns are huge in proportion to my trailer. I'll have to store it in the car trunk when I bring it places :lol: Have been keeping my eyes open for a tiny 1-1.5 quart dutch oven at estate sales and the Goodwill. REI has a 2 quart one but I really want something a little smaller since I'll usually be traveling alone and only want to cook enough food for one meal at a time. I do already cook at home with a nice little 6" Lodge frying pan. I love it. It's my favorite pan.

KCStudly if you fish you'd love to hear my dad tell stories about his fishing days. He'd drive from Spokane, WA to the Methow River in his blue panel van and stay for 3 days living out of his van, down by the river. He'd cook on a coffee can stove he made and would catch 18 to 20 lb fish on 4 lb test line with his "Noodle" rod, using lures he'd doctored up himself adding all kinds of new features to them. It would take him hours to reel a catch in but it was the epitome of sportsmanship, the fish had a lot of chances to break the line until he brought them on board. He's older now and gave up fishing a few years back so I asked him while I was there last week if I could have some of his gear as I want to take up fishing and he said sure (he used to take me lake fishing when I was a kid). So, when I go back in a few weeks I'll inherit not only his green lantern, but some really great fishing gear as well. KInd of neat that with my trailer, if I take up fishing, I could turn that part of him into a family tradition if I can get one of his grandkids to learn from me someday. :thinking:

I loved reading this Stacie. It made me smile thinking about it, and the fact that this simple joyful pastime of his has impacted you more than you probably even knew. What a great memory to have of your father and a wonderful tradition to pass on. Thank you for sharing it.
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby deleted » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:34 pm

You're welcome Becky. Thanks for saying so. Sometimes I type stuff and wonder why. Like is anyone going to care? :thinking:

During and after my first trip I made a lot of realizations that I am a lot more like my dad than I thought I was. If you ask my friends they'll say I'm a highly social person, and I can be. But the trip confirmed what I'd already begun to suspect last year after starting to visit Sonoma on my own, that I really enjoy solitude, probably the same way my dad did when he was younger. The trailer is showing me I actually find enjoyment in being self sufficient as well.
deleted
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby TPMcGinty » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:33 am

Stacie,

Have you tried a ThermaCELL for mosquito control? I swear buy them. The mosquitos have been REALLY bad this year in Minnesota. The one I linked below is even a GREEN LANTERN ThermaCELL! :lol:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/ThermaCELL-MR-9L-Outdoor-Lantern/19206340
Tim

TPMcGinty
Gold Donating Member

Postby deleted » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:19 pm

Thanks Tim! I saw the smaller appliance at a couple of stores but wanted to do some research to see if they really work. The lantern would be even better. Funny how I've gone my whole life without a green lantern and by the end of the month I'll have two.
deleted
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Junkboy999 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:10 pm

No mosquitoes, they even work as a lantern, and you can get them in Green. A triple +
I got to look into them. I hate mosquitoes!

Thanks Tim.
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby TPMcGinty » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:18 pm

Junkboy999 wrote:No mosquitoes, they even work as a lantern, and you can get them in Green. A triple +
I got to look into them. I hate mosquitoes!

Thanks Tim.

Sorry. It LOOKS like a lantern but the flame it uses isn't big enough to cast any useful light.
Tim

TPMcGinty
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment