3 Non Working Coleman Stoves

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

3 Non Working Coleman Stoves

Postby nrody » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:51 pm

I have been going through all my camping stuff getting ready for our road trip. Walk in the Winds is on the agenda this year. I have three Coleman stoves and not one is in working order :cry: . One small two burner 425D a medium size 413G two burner and a 426D three burner. I am at work so I do not have the model numbers handy right now. Should I drag them on the road trip or try to trade for a working stove before we leave?????? :NC
nrody
Nancy
User avatar
nrody
Donating Member
 
Posts: 459
Images: 12
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:38 pm
Location: Whittier, CA

Re: 3 Non Working Coleman Stoves

Postby wagondude » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:13 pm

The question that comes to mind is what is making them "not in working order"?. Many of the parts are interchangeable between those three. I see no reason why you could not get at least one going. At the most, you might need a fuel cap to get a good seal on a tank. Oil up the pump leather, or in a pinch, get a replacement pump for a quick fix. You can get pumps and caps at Bass Pro, Cabellas, even Wal-Mart. $20 and 10 minutes will fix almost any stove.
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
101137
User avatar
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club
 
Posts: 1533
Images: 35
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:41 pm
Location: Land of the Jayhawks

Re: 3 Non Working Coleman Stoves

Postby Wolffarmer » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:31 pm

Generators on stoves seldom need replacing. I have a 425 ( some letter ) that I have been using as my main camping and living off the grid stove since 1988 and can't tell how many gallons of CF has gone through that. Cap gasket went once and the original pump gave up. It was a neoprene pump. Stay with leather if you can. Out of 3 stoves at least one will be an easy fix. Probably all 3. Unless you have been burning car gas in them and then let them set with a full tank of fuel for 10 years.
:roll:
Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
User avatar
Wolffarmer
Donating Member
 
Posts: 4424
Images: 304
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 1:32 pm
Location: Idaho Rupert
Top

Re: 3 Non Working Coleman Stoves

Postby nrody » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:19 am

I tried switching fuel caps but still hear the hiss of air/fuel vapor leaking when I pressurize the tank. The other two tanks will not pressurize with any of the caps, I think the gaskets are dried out. Thing is I just do not have the time to tinker with them because we leave on the 29th of July. The other thing is I just do not need three stoves. I would like to keep one of the small or medium size two burner(s) and get rid of the three burner. I have this nasty habit of buying Coleman stuff when I see it at estate sales and then just storing it in the garage. In fact I saw a lantern on a estate sale advertisement for tomorrow and will try to get it. I have about 7 lanterns already and do not need more but I cant get the thought of getting it out of my head. :?
nrody
Nancy
User avatar
nrody
Donating Member
 
Posts: 459
Images: 12
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:38 pm
Location: Whittier, CA
Top

Re: 3 Non Working Coleman Stoves

Postby Zollinger » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:01 am

If they pump up and lose pressure I am willing to bet a new gas cap will fix yer problem. The 3 burner stoves are hard to come by in my area.
Dawn
____________________________________
'53 Zollinger "Va-Ka-Shun-Ette" and the boy's blog http://www.oscarthecampkat.blogspot.com/
Green Lantern Corpswoman
User avatar
Zollinger
1000 Club
1000 Club
 
Posts: 1027
Images: 64
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:57 pm
Location: Gossipville , Wisconsin
Top

Re: 3 Non Working Coleman Stoves

Postby wagondude » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:40 pm

I'm going to go to the dark side here and say get the adapter wand that will let you hook up a propane source to your stoves (it can be used with any of them). Also get a hose so you can use a bulk tank. You can use the small tanks, but after about half of the gas is gone, they don't work too well on stoves.

The hose: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-8-Pro ... e/13848690

The wand: http://www.basspro.com/Stansport-Propan ... /10218813/

Those are just examples. There are other brands/sources.
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
101137
User avatar
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club
 
Posts: 1533
Images: 35
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:41 pm
Location: Land of the Jayhawks
Top

Re: 3 Non Working Coleman Stoves

Postby Junkboy999 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:58 pm

we need to ask what caps do the stoves have?

If they are the three piece fuel cap ( cap with a screw in the middle of it - they all ways leak ) just get a replacement one piece camp. That is the only cap places sale these days.


How to replace the Three piece fuel cap gasket with an Cheap O ring. looks a bit frightening but it works.
http://www.spiritburner.com/fusion/show ... tid/13210/


Or just get you one of these camps.
User avatar
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club
 
Posts: 1259
Images: 52
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:18 pm
Location: Wichita, KS
Top

Re: 3 Non Working Coleman Stoves

Postby campmaster-k » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:24 pm

nrody wrote:I tried switching fuel caps but still hear the hiss of air/fuel vapor leaking when I pressurize the tank. The other two tanks will not pressurize with any of the caps, I think the gaskets are dried out. Thing is I just do not have the time to tinker with them because we leave on the 29th of July. The other thing is I just do not need three stoves. I would like to keep one of the small or medium size two burner(s) and get rid of the three burner. I have this nasty habit of buying Coleman stuff when I see it at estate sales and then just storing it in the garage. In fact I saw a lantern on a estate sale advertisement for tomorrow and will try to get it. I have about 7 lanterns already and do not need more but I cant get the thought of getting it out of my head. :?


You have been bitten. There is no cure. Just embrace it and fill your house with camping stuff you dont need and with most likely never use. Thats what we do. :thumbsup:
-Kirk

>TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB

>CEO Coleman Recovery Inc.

>Nor Cal Camping Pinewood Racing Team


Build thread -

viewtopic.php?t=45307&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180

Check out my Pictures -

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... 0QQtppZZ24
User avatar
campmaster-k
Lifetime member
 
Posts: 3030
Images: 17
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:02 pm
Location: Colusa, California
Top

Re: 3 Non Working Coleman Stoves

Postby Mukilteo » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:05 pm

nrody wrote:I have been going through all my camping stuff getting ready for our road trip. Walk in the Winds is on the agenda this year. I have three Coleman stoves and not one is in working order :cry: . One small two burner 425D a medium size 413G two burner and a 426D three burner. I am at work so I do not have the model numbers handy right now. Should I drag them on the road trip or try to trade for a working stove before we leave?????? :NC

Did you make it to Walk The Winds with a working stove? is the question that begs to be asked.
Eric
User avatar
Mukilteo
Donating Member
 
Posts: 1351
Images: 14
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:14 am
Top

Re: 3 Non Working Coleman Stoves

Postby Wolffarmer » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:11 pm

Mukilteo wrote:
nrody wrote:I have been going through all my camping stuff getting ready for our road trip. Walk in the Winds is on the agenda this year. I have three Coleman stoves and not one is in working order :cry: . One small two burner 425D a medium size 413G two burner and a 426D three burner. I am at work so I do not have the model numbers handy right now. Should I drag them on the road trip or try to trade for a working stove before we leave?????? :NC

Did you make it to Walk The Winds with a working stove? is the question that begs to be asked.

She left with a working 425 no letter. :D And I left with another 3 burner and 413G. I will pass the 413G on someday. And I got her lantern burning good. It is in the light up photo. I spent A lot of Saturday up to my ears in old stoves and lanterns. I took 3 stoves that I had never fired before and got those and Nrody's going that day. Some still need a CV fixed and more Coleman burned through them to get the RUG smell out. And fuel cap gaskets replaced.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
User avatar
Wolffarmer
Donating Member
 
Posts: 4424
Images: 304
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 1:32 pm
Location: Idaho Rupert
Top

Re: 3 Non Working Coleman Stoves

Postby campmaster-k » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:35 pm

Wolffarmer wrote:
Mukilteo wrote:
nrody wrote:I have been going through all my camping stuff getting ready for our road trip. Walk in the Winds is on the agenda this year. I have three Coleman stoves and not one is in working order :cry: . One small two burner 425D a medium size 413G two burner and a 426D three burner. I am at work so I do not have the model numbers handy right now. Should I drag them on the road trip or try to trade for a working stove before we leave?????? :NC

Did you make it to Walk The Winds with a working stove? is the question that begs to be asked.

She left with a working 425 no letter. :D And I left with another 3 burner and 413G. I will pass the 413G on someday. And I got her lantern burning good. It is in the light up photo. I spent A lot of Saturday up to my ears in old stoves and lanterns. I took 3 stoves that I had never fired before and got those and Nrody's going that day. Some still need a CV fixed and more Coleman burned through them to get the RUG smell out. And fuel cap gaskets replaced.

Randy


Good work Randy. I also invested some time at the Dam fixing and the like. Its our duty. Carry on.
-Kirk

>TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB

>CEO Coleman Recovery Inc.

>Nor Cal Camping Pinewood Racing Team


Build thread -

viewtopic.php?t=45307&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180

Check out my Pictures -

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... 0QQtppZZ24
User avatar
campmaster-k
Lifetime member
 
Posts: 3030
Images: 17
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:02 pm
Location: Colusa, California
Top

Re: 3 Non Working Coleman Stoves

Postby Mukilteo » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:52 pm

Randy, do you need a check valve? I may have a good one laying around.
I have a 413F coming in the mail from Hayden Idaho. It is going to be part of my early 60's project.
Eric
User avatar
Mukilteo
Donating Member
 
Posts: 1351
Images: 14
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:14 am
Top

Re: 3 Non Working Coleman Stoves

Postby Zollinger » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:01 pm

Yup. Every year at the fall rally we attend I end up yaking and wrenching on lanterns at least for a few hours. Rally is next weekend so I am currently deciding which lanterns and stove are going this year. I really like my 426D, but that puppy is big and heavy! I broke my left wrist last month and now I am debating if I should take the easy way out and do my cooking inside the '61 Shasta or use my DH profane stove. :oops: Heck with it I am gonna take the camp kitchen, Coleman oven and 426D. I don't want to be seen using propane seeing as how I teased Kirk about it. :lol:
Dawn
____________________________________
'53 Zollinger "Va-Ka-Shun-Ette" and the boy's blog http://www.oscarthecampkat.blogspot.com/
Green Lantern Corpswoman
User avatar
Zollinger
1000 Club
1000 Club
 
Posts: 1027
Images: 64
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:57 pm
Location: Gossipville , Wisconsin
Top

Re: 3 Non Working Coleman Stoves

Postby Wolffarmer » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:03 am

Muk

Not sure yet just what I will need. I haven't worked on them since I got home and forgot which ones the check valve is funky on or try to get them working without pulling them. Maybe in a few weeks. ( yeah right )

Thanks for the offer. I can get new ones at the local Ace for about $3.52 but they are the small thread shut off rod. I kind of like the older large threaded one. Also should get a CV tool if I do much of this.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
User avatar
Wolffarmer
Donating Member
 
Posts: 4424
Images: 304
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 1:32 pm
Location: Idaho Rupert
Top

Re: 3 Non Working Coleman Stoves

Postby Zollinger » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:14 pm

Randy, the CV removal tool works fantastic! Although they rarely go bad... when they do it works great. I have had good luck filling the tube with carb cleaned and soaking the CV to get the gunk out.
Dawn
____________________________________
'53 Zollinger "Va-Ka-Shun-Ette" and the boy's blog http://www.oscarthecampkat.blogspot.com/
Green Lantern Corpswoman
User avatar
Zollinger
1000 Club
1000 Club
 
Posts: 1027
Images: 64
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:57 pm
Location: Gossipville , Wisconsin
Top

Next

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest