Mantle Training

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Re: Mantle Training

Postby Cantputt » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:49 am

slowcowboy wrote:where do you buy the peerless mantles? slow here.

campmaster-k pointed me to oldcolemanparts.com to get mine.
Cantputt
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Socal Tom » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:05 am

I can''t speak for the quality issues. I'm burning propane and I don't know how old the mantles are. As far as installation tips, the only think I was taught was to make sure the mantle didn't fold back on itself. If it has a crease or fold, it creates a hot spot for early burn out.
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:56 am

The old mantles that I had from family camping supplies were a tighter weave and more thread like strand (kind of like a cotton sport sock), whereas the newer ones seem have a much looser (bushier) strand in the weave (more like a wooly hiking boot sock).

One thing I think I will try is using hand lotion an hour or so before I tie the next one on. I always feel like the dryness of my skin is snagging the mantles as I handle them, but I would also be concerned about the lotion causing issues.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby HossHoffer » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:57 pm

The fabric of the mantle is not the issue. When the mantle is burned the silk turns to ash. What is left behind is a type of rare earth oxide which glows when heated. Essentially you have a bunch of ash in the proper shape after the mantle is burned. Any movement can break the ash mantle. You can make mantles by sewing the silk socks and soaking them in a rare earth oxide such as thorium oxide. But they are still as fragile as the store bought ones. I grew up taking a coleman lantern to the milking shed every morning and just figured on changing the mantle every couple of days. We eventually wired the lights in the milking barn but the lantern gave off nice heat so we still carried them in the wintertime.

Hoss
HossHoffer
Teardrop Master

Postby Cantputt » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:41 pm

I went to replace my mantle with the hole in it with one of my new Peerless mantles - the Peerless mantle is huge compared to the Coleman. I grabbed another Coleman instead. The Peerless mantles say they are for all dual mantle lanterns.
Cantputt
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Wolffarmer » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:25 pm

If they are the 2C-HG mantles they are the ones. Unless a wrong one got in the 2C-HG package they should be pretty close in size.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby campmaster-k » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:30 pm

Cantputt wrote:I went to replace my mantle with the hole in it with one of my new Peerless mantles - the Peerless mantle is huge compared to the Coleman. I grabbed another Coleman instead. The Peerless mantles say they are for all dual mantle lanterns.

They just seem huge until you burn them off. They work just fine just dive on in. Jump. Jump. :applause:
-Kirk

>TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB

>CEO Coleman Recovery Inc.

>Nor Cal Camping Pinewood Racing Team

Build thread -

viewtopic.php?t=45307&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180

Check out my Pictures -

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... 0QQtppZZ24
campmaster-k
Lifetime member

Postby Cantputt » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:15 pm

All right, as soon as the Coleman's bust I'll put the Peerless on and go for some big light. :twisted: I have fired it up about 4 times now, seems to work real well. The light does seem quite yellow. :NC
Cantputt
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Wolffarmer » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:41 pm

Yellow light means several things. One the yttrium used in todays Colemans do not produce as white a light as the old school thorium. Or you are not getting enough fuel. If you pump it up about 30-35 strokes and add a few after you get it fired up and the valve fully opened then that indicates you are not getting enough fuel. Plugged generator, plugged fuel air tube in the fount.

Welcome to the wonderful world of making light like it was just before electrification.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment