Here's some other fun easy stuff to restore!

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Here's some other fun easy stuff to restore!

Postby doug hodder » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:41 pm

I'm a big fan of most of the pre-war design items, love the deco look, but anything prior to '60 is fair game for me. There are a lot of items out there that are relatively unnoticed anymore. Waffle dogs for one, and it's largely due to the participants here that helped them gain their fame again! Watch the garage sales and thrift stores for things like the following items or any other sort of kitchen gadget. Most people don't want to mess with them anymore, as there is usually some new item that is much easier to "run out and buy". I prefer to put some effort into something that has some style, design and is better constructed. I have an electric waffle iron...but prefer my 1921 Griswold...easier to clean!

I have been gifted a number of items for restoration that were all the rage back in the day, but have fallen out of favor anymore as they take up space etc....

A neighbor who is a fellow teardropper (Dean Bessom) gave me a "Juice-O-Mat" yesterday that was his mothers. Prior to all the frozen concentrates, mostly with Mexican/ Brazilian oranges that are not as sweet as Ca. and Fla ones, this was a commonplace kitchen appliance to have in the home, if you lived around a lot of citrus. The beauty is there are only 7 parts in them. Anyone can get one and do a resto on it easily. Strip it, prime it and paint! The company that manufactured these was Rival, founded in 1932, well known for their cast items. This was patented in 1939...Exact year on the item who knows....It has a number of 1905 on it and some people think that's the year it was made...not so. I stripped it, scuffed the zinc casting and primed it in a couple of hours. It's going to get a 2 tone paint job, sea foam green and cream, hopefully I've still got the paint.

Another Rival item is the "Can-O-Mat". This was given to me by Dave A. This Can-O-Mats most recent patent date is 1945, again, they made them forever, so who knows the exact date on it. Probably at least 60 years +...still opens cans great! A bit trickier to tear down and redo, but it is also going to be done up in a sea foam green. I stripped it today as well. Everyone has seen these, most of us grew up with them, yet, few people want them now.

Also to be done is the Dazey Ice crusher. While they did make an Ice-O-Mat...I don't have one...looking, but Mike P. gave me this one. It will also be stripped and painted up in a yellowish ivory to match the existing. Any other color would look funky with the existing yellow rocket body bottom. Items like this were really popular in the mid century when the whole "cocktail" thing really blossomed. I plan on carrying on the tradition and this will be going with me in the Kamp King!

I am always on the look out for small items like this that can be brought back to life with a minimal amount of expense, and give people a lot of fun memories and joy. When they are completed there is nothing more satisfying than someone commenting, "gawd, I remember when we had one of these!"
Be vigilant...find some great stuff! Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Re: Here's some other fun easy stuff to restore!

Postby logman7777 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:41 pm

Cool Items Doug!

I too have the Juice O Mat that is awaiting its refinishing (thinking about powdercoating though) I also have an ancient stand mixer thats getting the same treatment. The Sunbeam Coffeemaster is still purring along without any rebuilds (passed down from my Great Grandmother).

Old Appliances Rule!! :thumbsup:
Coleman Keepers 200A Gang
Green Lantern Corpsmen
High Wide and Handsome Probationary Member
Happy Camping!! -Andy
logman7777
500 Club

Postby Greg M » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:33 pm

You mean like this, Doug?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393209141.976525.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393209141.976525.jpg (215.51 KiB) Viewed 1937 times
Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach a person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

Postby Zollinger » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:10 am

I'm with you guys. I LOVE the old stuff. I have been looking for the "Can-o-mat" for a couple of years. Have an Ice-o-mat and a bunch of other vintage hand appliances. My kitchen is done up in vintage. I'm aiming for the 40's thru 50's look.
Dawn
Zollinger
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Tom Kurth » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:47 pm

One of the crazy things (from today's perspective) of that era was an device for ironing bed sheets. I remember Mom having one yet in the early sixties. Was about 4'-5' wide, about 40" tall and consisted of two heated rollers that would turn with each other like a pizza dough machine. My parents were by no means wealthy but with five kids this was thought to be a great labor saver for Mom. Probably would have been unnecessary if she had had a modern washer and dryer rather that an old wringer washer and a clothesline. Permanent press fabrics and fitted sheets no doubt spelled the doom of such machines.

Best,
Tom
Tom Kurth
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Woodbutcher » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:51 pm

Are you talking about a Mangle? They work well for ironing beds sheets or fabric projects. My wife dragged one home from a sale a couple years ago. It came in a nice walnut cabinet and looks like fine furniture. She fixed it all up and uses it for sewing projects. Then she found 2 table top smaller models. Fixed them up too. I thought we were finished till she went with her Mom to an auction. Now we have 4. Who needs one!!! Help me.

Who has an electric egg cooker. They made 7 hard or soft boiled eggs, depending on how much water you put in the bottom. Flip the switch and it turns off when they are ready. Made of aluminum and brown Bake-lite.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby logman7777 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:27 pm

I remember those egg cookers. Havent seen one in years though..
Green Lantern Corpsmen
Happy Camping!! -Andy
logman7777
500 Club

Postby wagondude » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:33 pm

Is there a particular brand you are looking for? I can keep an eye out.
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby campmaster-k » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:03 pm

Cool stuff.
-Kirk

>TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB

>CEO Coleman Recovery Inc.

>Nor Cal Camping Pinewood Racing Team

Build thread -

viewtopic.php?t=45307&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180

Check out my Pictures -

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... 0QQtppZZ24
campmaster-k
Lifetime member

Postby logman7777 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:41 am

Speaking of neat stuff to restore anybody have a hankering for an old Blowtorch?

It works but needs a new pump leather. I would trade straight up for an interesting lantern (preferably 200A, Peak1 or Primus Style or any single mantle). I can ship it to you and all anyone needs to do is stick your trade in the shipping box and ship it back to me.

Heres a pic of it in action...

Green Lantern Corpsmen
Happy Camping!! -Andy
logman7777
500 Club

Postby doug hodder » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:41 pm

Weather was warm so I shot some paint. Seafoam green always is a classic for a pre-war item.
Logman...now you got me wanting to do the blow torch that I have! It's an Ottobernz....should be called an Oughtaburn. :lol: Doug

doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Mukilteo » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:38 pm

We had a Juice O Mat way back in the day.
Eric
Mukilteo
Donating Member

Postby Greg M » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:16 pm

Dang, those came out great! Now if only you could find an Ice-o-mat.
Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach a person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

Postby the other side » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:22 pm

We had an Ice o Mat when I was growing up. The paint that was chipping off of it was blamed for my 3 yr old brothers health problems. Once they discovered it was his heart and not from something environmental, it was too late. My mom had already thrown it out in the trash! Too bad... I loved that thing! I still want my ice in small pieces to this day. I'll keep my eyes out for one at the thrift stores for you!
the other side
The 300 Club

Postby KennethW » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:26 pm

Ice o Mat = daiquiri's and margarita's with out AC power. YES
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Next

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment