Stolen Lantern Replaced! 1967 228F

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Stolen Lantern Replaced! 1967 228F

Postby Tomterrific » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:31 am

The old Coleman that I got running was stolen in a camper break in. I fixed that lantern and got emotionally attached. I was devastated ( not suicidal, just sad.). Friends stepped in with other lanterns, great friends. I have 3 old lanterns now and one I got running yesterday.

The one I really like and need help with is the 228F Big Hat from 1967. It smells heavily of spoiled, varnished gasoline. The fount was full when I got it but upon emptying it was clear Coleman fuel. The fount appears to have either rust or a heavy varnish inside. How should I clean this? I have sprayed in carb cleaner and swirled around over night, came out yellow.

The original cap does not seal well. It does not appear to have a sealing o-ring. Is this old enough for a metal to metal seal?

The brass pump rod is just slightly bent at the leather cup. Does it sound like a good plan to bend it straight?

I'm thinking about just getting the old lantern sealed up and seeing if I can fire it.

Thanks for any advice.

Tt
Tomterrific
500 Club

Re: Stolen Lantern Replaced! 1967 228F

Postby Kevin & Sandy » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:27 am

If you have three lanterns, you could try to use another cap if it matches to see if it seals. Same thing with the pump. You can try to straighten if, but if that fails, you could maybe swap it with another?

Or replacement parts aren't all that expensive, fix it up nice and it will last a loooooong time!
Kevin & Sandy
The 300 Club

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment