My Giant Teardrop build

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Postby Ivar the Red » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:35 am

del wrote:
Johnny how far are you from Severy Kansas?

del

298.0 mi, 4 hr 58 min
Johnny
BUILD THREAD
Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing. - Vince Lombardi
ImageImageImage
Ivar the Red
HOME RUN TILT

Postby toypusher » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:20 am

Ivar the Red wrote:Well, she's all back under plastic again now, we're suppose to get rain the first part of this week. Next time I think I'll build the wheel wells. Should I put the black goo on them and then some metal? Or would the black goo just be over kill?

Johnny, great progress! :applause:

It maybe overkill, but I would use the black goo (or at least somekind of good waterproofing on the wood. You can never be sure in an area like that with water.

Really looking forward to seeing it take shape now!! :woohoo:
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:33 am

Ivar the Red wrote:Question...What is 74" wide...
187" long...
It's Johnny's floor!!! Finally. :lol:

Sweet! What thickness ply did you go with?
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Ivar the Red » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:17 am

Cliffmeister2000 wrote:
Ivar the Red wrote:Question...What is 74" wide...
187" long...
It's Johnny's floor!!! Finally. :lol:

Sweet! What thickness ply did you go with?

1/2" over 2/3 frame.
Johnny
BUILD THREAD
Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing. - Vince Lombardi
ImageImageImage
Ivar the Red
HOME RUN TILT

Postby del » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:06 am

Ivar the Red wrote:
del wrote:
Ivar the Red wrote:Hey...I just like to hear (see) myself talk. :lol:

one more trip to Ace Hardware after work and the floor should be on by page 14 or 15
Are you sure, I am predicting page 31. Folks I think he is trying to have more pages than the puffin build by Steve.

del

HAH!!! page 13! A page sooner than I expected....thanks for the motivation Del. :lol:
So I transposed the numbers, no big deal right?.............................Right?

del
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Ivar the Red » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:49 am

I had a bit of a brain fart when planning the frame and floor joints. Instead of making the joints land on a "floor joist" the joint are just kind of out there in the middle. :x Rather then tear it out and start over, I came up with this to join the floor and keep out the water and what not...
I'll be working on this and the wheel wells this weekend. But I have to make time for my daughter's 13th birthday sometime in there. They want to got shopping in Oklahoma City. Hmmmm maybe a side trip to Harbor Freight to check out the sale.as with all my drawing, the above is not to scale.
Johnny
BUILD THREAD
ImageImageImage
Ivar the Red
HOME RUN TILT

Postby toypusher » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:10 am

Johnny, why don't you just put another crossmember where you need them. They don't really need to sit on a crossmember of the trailer. I mean, what demensions are your wooden crossmembers and how thick is the decking plywood??
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby starleen2 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:59 am

toypusher wrote:Johnny, why don't you just put another crossmember where you need them. They don't really need to sit on a crossmember of the trailer. I mean, what demensions are your wooden crossmembers and how thick is the decking plywood??

Agrees with toypusher - the addtional crossmenber will negate the need for t-molding and keep the seam from flexing. 1/2 ply gets pretty bouncy at the seams. I tried to join some 3/8 with a plywood backer glued and screwed in place - It didn't hold well for me. I eventually backed it with a 1x4 screwed and glued and it holds just fine
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby Ivar the Red » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:09 pm

Yep, there I go...overthinking things. It would only be 3 more 2X4s...easy and not that much weight.

But that means more black goo. :x I hate that stuff. I was gonna use the cut offs from the floor plywood. Oh well, at least I got to draw another pretty picture. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Johnny
BUILD THREAD
ImageImageImage
Ivar the Red
HOME RUN TILT

Postby toypusher » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:21 am

You never posted pictures of the new jack (and associated instructions)!!!!

Sup widdat?? :thinking:
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:41 am

With the possibility of yet another Stimulus check , you might be able to finish it...hahahaha
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ivar the Red » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:32 pm

A little progress today...

old jack location

old jack, new location

new jack
This may be temporary, cause I don't really like this jack, I wanted one with a wheel, and it just barely clears the ball on the Durango. Oh well that's all I could get at the time, so it'll work.
Now on to the wheel wells.
Johnny
BUILD THREAD
ImageImageImage
Ivar the Red
HOME RUN TILT

Postby del » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:45 pm

Ivar the Red wrote:A little progress today...
new jack
This may be temporary, cause I don't really like this jack, I wanted one with a wheel, and it just barely clears the ball on the Durango. Oh well that's all I could get at the time, so it'll work.
Now on to the wheel wells.
I have seen jacks like that, and most of them the little foot comes off, and a wheel goes on. If the foot comes off, then take it to a trailer supply place and find a wheel.

del
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Ivar the Red » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:50 pm

Not much more "real" progress, just want to show off the new lights that allow me to work into the night.

I did get the parts cut and painted for the wheel wells. It's hard to work when you keep running back inside to check football scores. :lol: More tomorrow. :thumbsup:
Johnny
BUILD THREAD
ImageImageImage
Ivar the Red
HOME RUN TILT

Postby satch » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:03 pm

Do my eyes decieve me? a floor? Way to go Big John, we may see you at a gathering yet...2015,maybe? :lol: Razzin' ya Bro, don't keep the neighbors up too late!
If it itches. scratch it
Rick
satch
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Non-traditional Designs