Another Newbie-Requesting Advice

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Another Newbie-Requesting Advice

Postby Marty » Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:57 pm

I've been lurking on the site for a few weeks now. Have been thinking about building a teardrop since May/June of 2004. Last week I picked up a wrecked foldout camper. I salvaged some good things out of the cleanup. The frame is over all 78" x 120" with a nice torsion axle. Between the wheels is 54", so the wheels are inset in on the frame. It has nice 12" wheels that are the standard 5 bolt pattern. I do have a pair of chrome 14" 5 bolt rims and tires. It is a nice frame and I probably can get more than the $225.00 that I gave for the wreck. Plus I salvaged a nice sink, faucet, cooktop, lights, fresh water tank, converter, power source plug-in w/breaker box, deep-cell battery and even a few nice camping stools.
The lurking that I have done is that I'd like to build a Benroy using a least a 5' axle or even a 6'axle. Being a contractor by profession ( I put the toolbelt down a few years ago, to make the business run more like a business and less like a practice.) I don't think my carpenter skill are too rusty, so I don't think I'm going to have much trouble getting something put together. Plus this would be therapy for the soul. The reason I want at least a 5' or 6' wide axle is that I'm 6'-3" 250lbs. and the DA (Domestic Associate) or commonly referred to as my wife is 5'-9" 1XX. A good nights rest is important and I cannot stand sleeping cramped.
I was thinking that maybe I should build something on the recycled camper trailer frame first to see the mistakes I'd make then build something REALLY nice on the specially built frame exactly to my liking.
OR
Do I just build what I know I want and work out the bugs as we go along?

I am interested in everyones feedback. Thanks for the help. [/b]
The four most expensive words in renovation are: "While we're at it..."
Marty
Teardrop Builder

Postby angib » Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:43 am

Welcome, Marty!

That does sound like the perfect chassis to put under a larger sorta-teardrop. Examples would be:
A Kampmaster/Wild Goose
Mike's Winter Warrior or Lil' Diner
My 2+2
You might get more ideas if you can photograph the frame and add the photo to your personal gallery on this site. (click 'Album', then 'Your Personal Gallery').

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Re: Another Newbie-Requesting Advice

Postby mikeschn » Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:06 am

Marty wrote: The frame is over all 78" x 120" with a nice torsion axle. Between the wheels is 54", so the wheels are inset in on the frame.

Hi Marty, and welcome...

That frame sounds perfect for a 12' Baja Benroy... it sounds like you've looked at my photo archive of the Baja Benroy!

It would also work well for the Winter Warrior, if you change the front profile to look like the Benroy. (Otherwise the teardrop body just gets way too long.)
Marty wrote:The lurking that I have done is that I'd like to build a Benroy using a least a 5' axle or even a 6'axle.

I thought you already had a torsion axle? Is it too long, is that the problem? Then cut it down to fit inside your wheel wells.
Marty wrote:Plus this would be therapy for the soul. A good nights rest is important and I cannot stand sleeping cramped.

Yep, it's good therapy... Some folks are already building number 3. I have number 3 in the carport, and number 4 is going together at Steve's place!!! :lol:
Marty wrote:I was thinking that maybe I should build something on the recycled camper trailer frame first to see the mistakes I'd make then build something REALLY nice on the specially built frame exactly to my liking.

I would build something really nice on the recycled trailer. You may not have to build a second one!

The biggest mistake people make is building a 4' wide teardrop, and then finding it's not comfortable for a good nights sleep. If more folks would start with a 5' wide teardrop, we wouldn't have the 2nd teardrop club!!!

If you are comfortable on a queen sized mattress at home, then you'll be more than comfortable in your 78" wide teardrop.

Mike...
Last edited by mikeschn on Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Chip » Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:13 am

Marty,, welcome to the group,,sounds like you are heading down the same path I traveled to get my trailer,,I started with an older pop up and the rest is cut and fit,,, http://photos.yahoo.com/abc187chip the site might help,,,build for what you want and how you want it,,you can always play on the second or third one ya build,,

just for info,,my frame started out as a 6'x12' and was cut down to 54"x9'2". inside I have a head board cabinet, 6'4"sleeping room and a deep galley,,since you need a bit more room you can cut back on the galley space and gain sleeping room,, if I can shed any light on the subject let me know,,

again welcome and take lots of pictures to share

chip
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Marck » Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:39 pm

my wife is 5'-9" 1XX.

smart man, using those XXs very smart... shows brainpower.. thus building on that frame should be easy for you... Personally I like the Wild Goose/Kampmaster, BUT!! am dieing to see someone build the winter warrior... both ar great designs.
You want to build WHAT?????

40 isn't middle aged....
IT'S YOUTH PART II
Marck
500 Club

Postby Marty » Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:29 pm

of-thestorm:
1XX is the ONLY way to describe the better half. We do learn something after almost 23 yrs. of marriage???
Where can I get a look at what a Wild Goose/ Kampmaster looks like? and I know I've seen designs for the Winter Warrior and will check it out some more.
Thanks again for the encouragement.

Chip:
Thanks for the welcome and the link to your pictures. I plan on taking some pictures this weekend and will post them, sometime this weekend.

Mike:
thank you for the welcome and for all the work on this nice forum.
The torsion axle is only 60" and the inside clear is 54". The way the frame is built cutting back the width of the frame is almost building a new frame.
I'll post some photos this weekend to give everyone a look. I know I'll get a few (many) suggestions.

Andrew:
Likewise thanks for the welcome. Once I get done posting here I'm going to check out your 2+2 and I will get some photos up this weekend for more input from all.

My guys (employees) think this is the greatest thing for me. Probably because they want me out of their hair and my Saturdays will be taken up with this and I won't be buggin them to work overtime with me. [/b]
The four most expensive words in renovation are: "While we're at it..."
Marty
Teardrop Builder

Postby Marck » Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:35 pm

on Andrew's AWESOME teardrop designs page are the layouts for both the original Wild Goose, and the contemporary version called the Kampmaster.
http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/t ... tear00.htm

I had a link to alot of Wild Goose pics but lost it... if need be I can try to post the ones I was given here on this board, to a web site... but I am sure someone will give a link before long to some Goose pics.

as for the XXX and the wife... married 7 years this time, and was married twice before...I learned the hard way about things like XXX hehehehehhe
You want to build WHAT?????

40 isn't middle aged....
IT'S YOUTH PART II
Marck
500 Club

Postby nater104 » Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:46 pm

I started at the bottom and had to go up to see why you guys were talking about XXX :wink:
Nathan -~- In the Lehigh Valley, PA
1966 15' Scotty Gaucho
1973 Apache Ramada
2008 Jayco 19H
nater104
Teardrop Master

Return to Non-traditional Designs