Compact 2

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Compact 2

Postby angib » Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:38 am

Apologies to anyone who's fed up with topics in this forum containing the word 'Compact'...

I have now done the Mark 2 version of the Compact - here.

It's got the solid folding roof, slightly bigger galley (berths now down to 78" long). The optional layout has a shower tray under a trapdoor in the floor and shows a folding child's bunk across the front.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby BoilermakerFan » Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:30 am

Andrew

I think it's a neat design. I wonder how much it would weigh?

How difficult would it be to modify your expanding roof to work with a curved roof panel? I know the sides would not be able to have a continuous hinge. Perhaps a pivot, lift, lock setup? Similar to child's bedrail, where the side is pivoted up, lifted over the curve of the roof, and set down vertically, then finally latched into the upper roof portion. The front and back of the lifting roof would stay same since it's a rectangular section of the roof.

That has my mind running now! A lightweight way to add a foot of height to the 2+2 in the cabin area without a detrimental impact to the overall lines of a TD!
BoilermakerFan
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:58 am

Hey Andrew,

That's pretty nice how you have your gas struts located outside the trailer when in the assembled position. I like it. You don't suppose that'll be a problem when we have 6 feet of snow on the roof, do you? :lol:

Who would go camping in the snow? Only Vikings who go skiing in the winter!!! LOL.

I notice you don't put any dimensions on your drawings. How do people know how what size to make all the pieces?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby BoilermakerFan » Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:31 pm

I came across several free CAD viewers online but forgot to bookmark them. :oops:

Huh, I didn't notice the gas strut. I figured there would just be latches to secure the roof in the raised position and latches to keep it locked in the down position.
BoilermakerFan
Teardrop Master

Postby angib » Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:05 pm

Purdue Brian wrote:How difficult would it be to modify your expanding roof to work with a curved roof panel?

Horrendously difficult! You've got to make three curved panels - front, top and back - that fold inside each other. Side panels that were completely removable and just lifted into place would work OK - the 'lift-and-drop' sides from a child's cot would hit the underside of the top panel when you do the 'lift' part.

If you must have a lifting. curved roof, I would think either the Winter Warrior idea turned round or Sumner's parallel-lifting top would be less work.

Mike:
The gas strut just takes the effort out of lifting the top when the sides are in the way - it's hardly essential.
Don't understand the dimension comment - all drawings have marked scale bars on the bottom.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby BoilermakerFan » Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:55 pm

angib wrote:
Purdue Brian wrote:

:lol: Andrew that is too funny!

I'm up to the challenge. I may not succeed, but I will certainly try to develop a working mock-up.
BoilermakerFan
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:55 pm

angib wrote:
Mike:
Don't understand the dimension comment - all drawings have marked scale bars on the bottom.

Andrew

Ah I hadn't noticed that... so you could build the teardrop with your thumb, plus or minus a few inches either way... :D

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Return to Non-traditional Designs